+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The new version

Welp. Making bold to be the first to post here among many knowledgeable users who could:

The new version is great. So far terrific response, a bit faster. We'll see what else. Thanks, Rick.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

I downloaded your lastest version, deleted the old one and sync'd. Now every time I try to access DA I get a reset. I really miss your program. What am I doing wrong?

How did you delete it, with the App Launcher delete or with something like Filez or File Manager? Many times not using the "real" app delete function has caused people trouble.

Originally posted by CaptJCL
    I downloaded your lastest version, deleted the old one and sync'd. Now every time I try to access DA I get a reset. I really miss your program. What am I doing wrong?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I used file manager to delete the old DA. I'll try that. Hey, I'm a big fan of your program. Thanks..

Rick
    Great first beta.. here are the issues I'm having:
    1) When I choose "disconnect" I recieve a information box saying: "Disconnect menu choice not available on this device!"
    2)Is there anyway to go back to DA after displaying a map or is this the way that feature works.
    3)Some of the help screens are blank.
    You probably already know about these. Once again thanks.
    mg
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 03-02-2004 at 06:27 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

1. Disconnect menu only works on 6035's. With the 7135, I can onlt disconnect a data call that I originated - so the checkbox on the query screens WILL work.

2. No, only using Web Clipping works for this, and since WC does not display a map on then 7135....

3. Yep. Somehow that got tossed out when I switched compiler versions.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Rick
    Great first beta.. here are the issues I'm having:
    1) When I choose "disconnect" I recieve a information box saying: Disconnect menu choice not available on this device!"
    2)Is there anyway to go back to DS after displaying a map or is this the way that feature works.
    3)Some of the help screens are blank.
    You probably already know about these. Once again thanks.
    mg
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Rick
    Thanks for the prompt reply... Maybe this is a feature request/OT question. I usually don't check the "disconnect after search box" because I may want to view the map or directions or something. But if I don't it would be nice to be able to disconnect the call from the results screen (that's the feature request, here's the question). So I'll go to the phone side and hang up the call. But how do I hang up a data call if it has gone dormant? I've only found that I can do that by launching one of the native apps that use data (ie. EIS) to disconnect or turning the phone off and back on again. I'm sure I must have missed that one in the manual somewhere.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I don't think there is a way, I often just turn off/on the phone if I don't want dormant. But frankly I've stopped worrying about it a lot since it seems to me that VZ is not charging for the dormant periods.

As for being able to disconnect after you leave the query itself - yes that would be nice and valid request, but it would require restructuring things a bit as the connection itself is local to the query code - it would have to be turned into a global property and tracked in any screen that had a disconnect menu.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Rick
    Thanks for the prompt reply... Maybe this is a feature request/OT question. I usually don't check the "disconnect after search box" because I may want to view the map or directions or something. But if I don't it would be nice to be able to disconnect the call from the results screen (that's the feature request, here's the question). So I'll go to the phone side and hang up the call. But how do I hang up a data call if it has gone dormant? I've only found that I can do that by launching one of the native apps that use data (ie. EIS) to disconnect or turning the phone off and back on again. I'm sure I must have missed that one in the manual somewhere.
    mg

Converged
    Rick,
    I upgraded and got fatal alerts. It turns out I did not delete DA 2.0 before installing DA 3.0. Once I deleted DA and reinstalled my problems went away.

So for anyone else out there upgrading, be sure to delete the old version first.

-Stew

it's working just fine for me, though I'm not sure about wild card searches on first names.
    I.e. putting in simply "j" in first name to find "john smith" doesn't work. Nor does "J*"
    anybody know how wildcards work with this software?
    thanks

They don't. It's a limitation of yp.com vs. 555-1212.com

Originally posted by rexwilson
    it's working just fine for me, though I'm not sure about wild card searches on first names.
    I.e. putting in simply "j" in first name to find "john smith" doesn't work. Nor does "J*"
    anybody know how wildcards work with this software?
    thanks

To paraphrase your original post, a buggy version that works most of the time is better than something that doesn't work at all.

I'm not a frequent user of DA, but the times I do need it, it is an essential tool, so I really appreciate all the work you are putting in to the app.

I've been playing with it a lot since you posted the new version, just to get the feel for it. I occassionally get Fatal Alerts starting up DA and need to soft reset. I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to determine any pattern to this. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I have found that both the residential and business address lookups work well, however I can't get access to either maps or driving directions. When I click on the map function nothing happens. When I click on the driving directions, I get the address input screen, but when I click on search, I'm taken back to the results screen.

Frankly, I won't miss the maps. For me, a map on a screen this small isn't really helpful. In order to see any detail I need to expand the scale of the map so much that the small screen covers about the same amount of geography that I can see if I simply look over my shoulder.. So, in my humble opinion, if you leave the maps out of the final version, it won't be a great loss.

But the driving directions !!! Driving directions are VERY useful to me.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a feature that hasn't been reinstalled yet ?

I have the same issues with disconnecting as MGuzzy does, but now that I know how to handle it I'm OK.

Again, let me thank you for all the great effort you are putting into this.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

What Browser do you have set up to do the directions? Maybe there's a problem launching it - at least that's what it sounds like.

Originally posted by Schavlan
    To paraphrase your original post, a buggy version that works most of the time is better than something that doesn't work at all.

I'm not a frequent user of DA, but the times I do need it, it is an essential tool, so I really appreciate all the work you are putting in to the app.

I've been playing with it a lot since you posted the new version, just to get the feel for it. I occassionally get Fatal Alerts starting up DA and need to soft reset. I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to determine any pattern to this. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I have found that both the residential and business address lookups work well, however I can't get access to either maps or driving directions. When I click on the map function nothing happens. When I click on the driving directions, I get the address input screen, but when I click on search, I'm taken back to the results screen.

Frankly, I won't miss the maps. For me, a map on a screen this small isn't really helpful. In order to see any detail I need to expand the scale of the map so much that the small screen covers about the same amount of geography that I can see if I simply look over my shoulder.. So, in my humble opinion, if you leave the maps out of the final version, it won't be a great loss.

But the driving directions !!! Driving directions are VERY useful to me.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a feature that hasn't been reinstalled yet ?

I have the same issues with disconnecting as MGuzzy does, but now that I know how to handle it I'm OK.

Again, let me thank you for all the great effort you are putting into this.

Converged
    I removed the old DA and installed the new one (Beta 2) and when I try to run it I get a Fatal error that says "MemoryMgr.c, Line:4365, NULL handle". Any ideas would be appriciated. I miss my DA. Thanks in advance.

How did you remove it, with the App Launcher delete or with Filez, etc? Many people exterience problems deleting it with a file manager since it does not do a complete delete of all the pieces.

Originally posted by Lindyhopper
    I removed the old DA and installed the new one (Beta 2) and when I try to run it I get a Fatal error that says "MemoryMgr.c, Line:4365, NULL handle". Any ideas would be appriciated. I miss my DA. Thanks in advance.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    That's great to hear... thanks for helping rlwhitt get his support area going here.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I deleted the "older" version and installed v3.0 b 1. When I try getting either a residential or business address I get the following: "Requestion page" then "getting page" then I get "Query Error" "Unexpected problem with the results response!" The map portion works fine. Any idea what the problem might be?

Are you by chance a Sprint/Treo 600 user? B1 did not work with that combo, B2 resolves it.

If not, I have seen that error on my device at random times - it usually happens when the server does not respond in a timely fashon or the data call is going badly for some reason (high traffic, low signal, etc). Try a new connection at a different time and see if it makes a difference.

Originally posted by grindy1
    I deleted the "older" version and installed v3.0 b 1. When I try getting either a residential or business address I get the following: "Requestion page" then "getting page" then I get "Query Error" "Unexpected problem with the results response!" The map portion works fine. Any idea what the problem might be?

Browser

I have my browser set as Blazer and I can't retrive any driving directions.

I'll try the second beta version and see what happens if I set the Browser to EIS.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

Are you by chance a Sprint/Treo 600 user? B1 did not work with that combo, B2 resolves it.

If not, I have seen that error on my device at random times - it usually happens when the server does not respond in a timely fashon or the data call is going badly for some reason (high traffic, low signal, etc). Try a new connection at a different time and see if it makes a difference.

Yes, I'm a Sprint/Treo 600 user.

Thanks - I downloaded B2 and it works like a charm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast