+ Reply to Thread

DA 3.10 Beta 2 Posted

Available here:

http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/Beta/DA310b2.zip

Note that this is BETA software, and as such there could be creepy crawly bugs. If you post this on another web site or share with others, please be sure they realize the BETA status!

*** IMPORTANT ***

It may be necessary to completely delete any old versions (with the App Launcher!) before loading this one. If you get a reset on first run after installing, you will need to delete and re-install.

New in this Beta release:
    • Added the capability to use Airports as origins and destinations for Driving Directions.

If you know the 3-letter airport code (JFK, DFW, etc), you can enter that in either the origin or destination address field. Case does not matter and you do not need to enter anything else. When you tap the Search button, the code will be validated to be sure it exists against the list of 379 airports that MapQuest recognizes.

If you don't know the code, you can tap one of the "Air" buttons to browse a list that shows State, City, Code & Name. It is sorted by State and City. Selecting one of these will insert it into the proper address field.
    • Fixed the Treo 5-Way nav behavior for the Results List.
    • Fix for capturing redirects that come from yp.com, particularly the case where a business name is not found in the specified city, but there are some in surrounding areas. In that case yp.com will default to a surrounding area search. We can now capture that redirect, but keep in mind the result set may be a good bit larger than you expect!
    • Added option: "Force To: for Results->Directions". In previous versions, tapping the "Direct" button on the Results screen would only copy the address of the highlighted result to the Directions destination if there was not already an entry there. If this new option is checked, it will overwrite any already saved destination before switching to the Directions screen.
    • Added Option to cancel multipage results to preferences. If this is checked, business queries that go beyond one page of results will pop up a dialog box before each page beyond the first, oferring a Continue or Cancel choice. All records for each page are saved as soon as they are retrieved, so cancelling the search will not affect those already received.
    • Changed the 'City' label on Business query to 'City or Zip' to reflect the fact that you can enter a Zip code instead of city. Removed the restriction of having to have a State selected IF the city field contains a Zip code (all numeric). Due to yp.com behavior, the state is still required for Residential searches even using Zip code.
    • Removed Web Clipping as a browser option, since the proxy service that it used was closed down and it's no longer operable. Those with older devices that can make a pure internet connection (Kyocera 6035, etc) can use the Blazer browser, if you have it installed or can find it online.
    • Reduced the two browser choices in preferences to just a single one. A little background on why there were 2 in the first place: Many people liked to use Web Clipping when it was operational because it was small & fast and had a back button that would take you back to DA. But the Kyocera 7135's version of Web Clipping would not show the map graphics when called from DA, so the choice to use a different browser for Maps was added. Since Web Clipping is no longer an option, there is no need for two choices.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Your responsiveness and skill are impressive. I just installed 3.10 Beta 2 on my Kyocera 6035, and it worked great with the default values. I did need to delete the previous version to avoid a reset message. I lost my Lookup strings, but I've been using shortcuts anyways, since I can also use them in other applications.

If you're looking for suggestions, consider reading the state field to narrow or scroll the popup airport list to that state. People in Wisconsin or Wyoming would probably get frustrated having to scroll all the way down.

For people who frequently reuse addresses, consider adding a comment in the online help or documentation instructing them to create Address Book names beginning with a "-" such as "-Home" and "-Work." Then they'll appear first on the address lookup list. Some may prefer that over entering each address field, even with the Lookup feature.

On a scale of 0001 to 1010, this program ranks a 1010! Thanks for your work.

This is a very good idea, and easy to do. I'll put in the next Beta.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by PedroM
    If you're looking for suggestions, consider reading the state field to narrow or scroll the popup airport list to that state. People in Wisconsin or Wyoming would probably get frustrated having to scroll all the way down.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Talking It just gets better and better!

Thanks for continuing to improve an excellent product. I am glad I paid to use this program and urge others to do so as well.