+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Should I get insurance for a Verizon phone (i.e. i700)?

UPDATE: We are getting reports that Verizon doesn't let you get this insurance on the i700... waiting to confirm.

Insurance on your I700 is a GOOD THING. I have had it from Verizon for years and its CHEAP. $3.95 a month and it has a $50d deductable. Wow you say that isn't cheap. Well it is if you lose, damage beyond use or it gets stolen.

What is the cost to replace your I700 $629 if you sign another contract $700+ if you buy it outright. or $50 (3.95/month insurance) is alot cheaper. vs the cost to replace it.

If something happens you contact Verizon CS to report the phone Lost, stolen, damaged beyond use (ie Lost) and they in turn contact the insurance company who overnights your replacement. Make sure you have your payment ready for Fed EX or Airborne and sign for delivery.

[url=http://www.pocketpcpassion.com][url]<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

Sprint’s ERP (equipment replacement program aka insurance) is $4 a month with a $35 deductible. I would highly suggest this option especially when your new device/phone is going to cost you upwards of $500 no matter what company you have for your phone. It also saves you from having to renew your contract of pay an activation fee if you have to get your phone replaced due to it being lost/stolen/broken (you would have to make the claim through the insurance company in order to waive the contract renewal or swap fee). You do have to ask for it as it is not an option that we (or many of the other providers) advertise or offer you during activation.

Updated.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Continually Converged

No insurance yet (through Verizon)

As of 6/23/03, Verizon does not offer insurance for the i700. If anyone finds out that this has changed, I'd love to know about it...

Steph

Insurance with Verizon

I started service recently with Verizon and the I700 and they sold me the insurance.

Continually Converged

Insurance

I started service recently with Verizon and the I700 and they sold me the insurance.
    That's great to know, Dave, thanks. I'm going to call them up and try again, then....

Steph

We also have documented cases here on pdaPhoneHome where folks have gotten their damaged i700 replaced through this plan.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I just activated and they sold me insurance so I hope they know what they are doing!

Verizon Insurance Plan Info

I have spoken to Verizon and as usual, no one has the same truth as the other reps you may speak to. The Verizon “PDA Data Department” told me that the PDA is not covered by the insurance plan. I spoke to a customer service rep, we both 3-wayed with the insurance company directly, IT’S COVERED.

To conclude all questions related to the warranty, I called both Verizon and both warranty companies they use.

Verizon is under the impression that PDA phones are not covered. WRONG!!!!

DATA PRODUCTS ARE NOT COVERED (E.G. LAPTOP DATA CARDS, DATA CABLES, ETC).

PDA phones are considered "Cell Phones" and hence, covered by the Verizon warranty. Any phone up to $1,500.00 U.S. dollars will be covered and up to $200.00 of accessories.

Verizon is aware of this and will change there documentation.

The plan cost $3.99/per month. Depending on your location, you will be put on either the Lock Line or CNA insurance plan. Lock Line has a $35.00 deductible and CNA has a $50.00 dollar deductible. Both plans allow for 2 claims per year and cover lost, theft, not direct damage (But how will they know you broke it, I swear it got stolen).

So, there you have it. Insure your $800.00 Samsung PDA now for 3.99/per month or pay $800.00 later when you drop it, lose it or it gets stolen.

If the rep you speak with refuses to insure the PDA because they believe it is not covered. Tell them to put you on hold and CALL THE INSURANCE COMPANY.....

do you have to insure it immediatly? or can I wait for my AMEX 1 year buyer protection to expire?

I do not know...

Call Verizon and ask them or call one of the two insurance companies. All I can tell you for a fact. The PDA "phones" are covered.

Don't forget other insurance companies

State Farm Insurance also has cell phone insurance. From what I understand it may be cheaper than Verizon's coverage. I think it was something like $25 a year. OF course it depends on the phone. DOn't know details about deductable, but I do know it seemed like a better deal to me than the carrier's.

If anyone is interested, I will post details once I've signed up and have the coverage for myself. Just let me know.

Insurance for i700

, Verizon provides low-cost insurance for the i700. It can be obtained when you order online or via telephone.

F*ck a laptop! I got an Ipaq :)
    When I bought my i700, last june, they made me get insurance. I didn't use it until one day I forgot my phone on my jeep and drove off. I realized it about a mile down the road. I went back and found it, crushed in the middle of the road.

It was covered. Brand new, complete box (I kept the extra batteries and stuff), for $50. Can't beat it!

I am interested in more info on the State Farm insurance. I am getting an i700 from a 3rd party and Verizon sales people have told me that it cannot be covered under their insurance.
    Is there a cheaper plan with rotary dial and party line?

Talking

Yes! I used it. $50.00 for a new screen is a great deal. Now, I also use a screen protector.