+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-04-2008
    Posts
    162

    Can not turn off my phone!!

    I can blank the screen, but my phone will not turn completely off. I need to disconnect the battery.

    Did I screw up the button mappings maybe (most likely) which button should be mapped for power off, and what is the exact setting to select??

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-24-2007
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by ktjensen View Post
    I can blank the screen, but my phone will not turn completely off. I need to disconnect the battery.

    Did I screw up the button mappings maybe (most likely) which button should be mapped for power off, and what is the exact setting to select??
    I don't think you can turn off the phone entirely...

  3. #3
    Alchemist dfkimbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-30-2007
    Location
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Posts
    477
    Do you mean your phone doesnt "go to sleep", instead the screen just blanks? Did you adjust power settings or backlight settings? Have you added a new piece of software that uses a profile that may be set to "always on"?
    -Duncan

    "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-04-2008
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
    Do you mean your phone doesnt "go to sleep", instead the screen just blanks? Did you adjust power settings or backlight settings? Have you added a new piece of software that uses a profile that may be set to "always on"?
    No -- not talking about going to sleep. My phone does that fine. No issues there.

    I am talking about being able to turn off the phone completely. The only way to do this is to disconnect the battery.

    Also - there is no way to keep the phone from activating the screen, when it gets jiggled. When I walk with it in a pocket the phone slides a little, and that is enough to activate the screen, and burn battery time.
    Last edited by ktjensen; 01-28-2008 at 04:00 AM.

  5. #5
    Alchemist dfkimbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-30-2007
    Location
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Posts
    477
    You are correct. The only way to completely power the i730 down is to remove the battery.

    The i730 isn't designed to be turned off completely. Microsoft/Samsung designed the OS this way, so that you won't miss meeting/task reminders, alarms, etc.

    If you want to turn off the phone radio (i.e., disable calls), hold down the red End Call button until you hear it chime and display a notification that it's off. You can also use the wireless manager to turn off the phone radio.
    -Duncan

    "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-24-2007
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by ktjensen View Post


    Also - there is no way to keep the phone from activating the screen, when it gets jiggled. When I walk with it in a pocket the phone slides a little, and that is enough to activate the screen, and burn battery time.
    A) The slider button in the bottom left that you use to turn the screen on/off -- move it up and all buttons will be locked.

    B) If you don't have this already activated: Settings -> Personal -> Today -> Items Tab -> check the box for Device Lock.

    Then you will see a button on your Today screen you can just tap, and all buttons will be locked.

    Choose either method.

  7. #7
    Registered User twcowdery's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-01-2005
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul22000 View Post
    B) If you don't have this already activated: Settings -> Personal -> Today -> Items Tab -> check the box for Device Lock.

    Then you will see a button on your Today screen you can just tap, and all buttons will be locked.

    Choose either method.
    Dumb question. Once you tap and lock, how do you unlock?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-24-2007
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by twcowdery View Post
    Dumb question. Once you tap and lock, how do you unlock?
    The bottom left softkey on the Today screen turns into "Unlock". Tap it with your finger or stylus.

    Then the whole screen turns blue with an [Unlock] button in the middle, on the right side.

    Tap it with your finger and the phone will unlock.

    Basically, it's a software lock that will never unlock accidentally. Works great!

  9. #9
    Registered User twcowdery's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-01-2005
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul22000 View Post
    The bottom left softkey on the Today screen turns into "Unlock". Tap it with your finger or stylus.

    Then the whole screen turns blue with an [Unlock] button in the middle, on the right side.

    Tap it with your finger and the phone will unlock.

    Basically, it's a software lock that will never unlock accidentally. Works great!
    Thanks for the information.

    I've seen software that spoke of a slide-lock feature similar to the iPhone. Now I can see that they were describing a replacement for this.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-24-2007
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by twcowdery View Post
    Thanks for the information.

    I've seen software that spoke of a slide-lock feature similar to the iPhone. Now I can see that they were describing a replacement for this.
    Decided to take some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

    - LEFT: Unlocked state. Tap the lock on the Today Screen to lock all hardware buttons

    - MIDDLE: Locked state. To unlock you MUST tap the Unlock in the bottom left. Using the hardware buttons will do nothing (for obvious reasons)

    - RIGHT: This is what happens when you tap Unlock. Screen reverts to middle picture after 5 sec if you don't do anything.



    PointUI has a pretty nifty locking mechanism that requires you to slide your finger upwards. It's pretty damn cool. Check out the link in the other thread in this forum.



    And while we're at it, how does the iPhone do it?

  11. #11
    WinMo Power User Relic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-01-2007
    Location
    Townsend, DE
    Posts
    63
    Yes the "iPhone style" slide2unlock app, is the best & works great, I use it and love it!

    The one developed by A_C slide2unlock2 ver2 (S2U2) supports animated gif, weather info from numourous weather apps, displays next appointment, caller ID and a lot more...

    Check out the forum over @ (28 January 200 S2U2 v0.99c - beyond the basic - xda-developers

    Download it here http://ac.xenpage.eu/S2U2-0.99c-WM5.rar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can not turn off my phone!!-screen.jpg   Can not turn off my phone!!-screen2.jpg  
    Mark

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-04-2008
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by ktjensen View Post

    Also - there is no way to keep the phone from activating the screen, when it gets jiggled. When I walk with it in a pocket the phone slides a little, and that is enough to activate the screen, and burn battery time.
    I was able to fix this. If I go to the SETTINGS-SYSTEM-BACKLIGHT-BATTERY POWER page and make sure that the "Turn on backlight when a button is tapped" is UNCHECKED, then the device will not come on for much of anything; except when I slide the power toggle button on the left side.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-04-2008
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    Yes the "iPhone style" slide2unlock app, is the best & works great, I use it and love it!

    The one developed by A_C slide2unlock2 ver2 (S2U2) supports animated gif, weather info from numourous weather apps, displays next appointment, caller ID and a lot more...

    Check out the forum over @ (28 January 200 S2U2 v0.99c - beyond the basic - xda-developers

    Download it here http://ac.xenpage.eu/S2U2-0.99c-WM5.rar
    This is an awesome tool!! It is way better than everything else I was trying. This needs to be standard software on an WM5 installed device. Just do not double lock your keys with the mechanical slide lock on the side of the device, as that prevents you from answering the incoming phonecall.
    Last edited by ktjensen; 01-29-2008 at 11:13 AM.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-04-2008
    Posts
    162
    funny thing. When I take the battery out, and then put it back in, the phone is powered off. I need to push the slide button on the left to power the device on.

    Thus there is a way to TURN OFF the device. Just wish there was a way with a button to turn off power.

  15. #15
    Registered User SinisterJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-15-2004
    Location
    West Hartford, CT, USA
    Posts
    402
    Since the i730 came with WM2003SE originally and turning the device off would result in lose of data, I would think that they would have made sure there wasn't a way to turn the PDA. Other then removing the power supply.

  16. #16
    Alchemist dfkimbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-30-2007
    Location
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by ktjensen View Post
    This is an awesome tool!! It is way better than everything else I was trying. This needs to be standard software on an WM5 installed device. Just do not double lock your keys with the mechanical slide lock on the side of the device, as that prevents you from answering the incoming phonecall.
    Actually, I can still answer an incoming call using the green hardware key even when the mechanical side lock is activated. I didn't think it worked that way until one of the guys at work pointed it out to me.

    I do "double-lock" with the hardware key and S2U2, mostly because I like S2U2!
    -Duncan

    "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts