+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Picture - Icon Hack

Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Picture - Icon Hack

I decided a new thread was in order, as this is the final release, with full instructions. This originally started in this thread:

Vista Windows Mobile Device Center - Change Smartphone Picture

Information and Background:

In Windows Vista, there is a new software called Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC), which replaces ActiveSync to synchronize your files and information to your handheld (Example 1). On the WMDC is a large photo of a device. By default Microsoft included some illustrated generic images for either Smartphone or Pocket PC (Example 2) (which is a nice looking graphic, don't get me wrong). This is well and good, but us that want to customize this are left in the dark as to how to change the image.

Example 1:

Example 2:

I watched a few of the online videos demonstrating the WMDC and in one of them it was mentioned that OEMs (the people who release the devices) are capable of switching the graphic to a "custom" graphic. I immediately searched the web trying to find information on how to change the graphic. Nothing was found, just the fact the "OEMs can change the graphic". So next
    I searched the PC for any indication of the image, both in the registry and the file system and determined that an icon was created in the profile directory here:

c:\users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\(your profile key)\

That graphic was "sync.ico". So I opened my favorite ICON editing software and changed the graphic to a photo of the Samsung i730. Saved the graphic, loaded in on the PC, in the profile directory, and then rebooted the computer.

Once it rebooted, I opened WMDC, success (so I thought, see Example 3), as the i730 ICON I created showed up in the WMDC. Next I threw my i730 on the cradle and synced, but as soon as it connected to my device it changed back to the standard graphic.

Example 3:

So I tried many other things. Loading the ICON file in the root directory of the device, loading it in the Windows Directory, modifying registry entries on the i730 and on the PC. Nothing changed the graphic when it was syncing. Next I decided to ask for help, and contacted a friend at Microsoft, who reported back some interesting information. I was basically told the ICON file needs to be in the Windows directory of the device (tried that already), and it needs to be there on initial load of the drivers (well I had already synced my device, and loaded the drivers), and I was basically told to remove the device and re-add it, which would then show the graphic on each sync.

Sure enough that worked....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Picture - Icon Hack-wmdc-start.gif   Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Picture - Icon Hack-wmdc-connected.gif  
    Last edited by mrailing; 02-22-2007 at 08:47 PM.
    superwoman likes this.

MRailing donation and Disclaminer for Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack

Donating: Although this information is completely free, if you really want to make me feel special and want to keep me doing things like this (although I probably will anyway) feel free to PayPal me with whatever you want. I don't get paid for helping/moderating/contributing at pdaphonehome.com, I do it because I like to do it, and like to help all of you. But if this really helps you, then feel free to drop me a few dollars (or $5, or $10, or $20, or $50, or $100, depending on your tax bracket). I have spent quite a bit of time working on figuring this out, as well as writing up these instructions, and contributing back to me, or donating to PDAPhoneHome, is a good way to show your appreciation...

Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer here, do this at your own risk. You are "tweaking" your device at your own discretion and I take no responsibility for anything you do to mess up your device. PDAPhoneHome.com takes no responsibility for anything you do to your device. I am not responsible for loss of files, photos, music, money, contacts, calendar, your girlfriend/boyfriend, car, job, life, or anything. You do this at your own risk. The risk here is VERY small, but you are messing with files that were not intended by Microsoft, your mobile phone carrier, or your mobile device manufacturer. You are basically copying an ICON file to your device, and reinstalling the device driver in Windows Vista. This is a simple task, and what ever support I can give in this thread I will, but you are responsible for YOUR device, and you shouldn't/can't hold me/pdaphonehome.com responsible for anything that you do to it during this process.
    Last edited by mrailing; 05-14-2007 at 10:01 AM.

Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack - Step 1 Obtain the Icon

Step 1: Obtain ICON file for your device

ICON SET UPDATED May 14, 2007

Added to Post #10 (Set #7) on May 14, 2007

Asus A636
    HTC P3600
    SPV c600
    T-Mobile Vario II

Added to Post #5 (Set #2) on April 16, 2007

Audiovox SMT5600 - Unbranded
    HP iPaq RW6800 - Unbranded

Added to Post #6 on March 1, 2007:

Qtek Smartphone Open
    Qtek Smartphone Folded

Added to Post #9 on March 1, 2007:

Dell Axim in Stand
    Orange SPV M3100

======================================================

Because I am such a NICE guy, I have made MANY ICON files for MANY different devices. They are listed in the next few posts, and you just need to save the ZIP file, and extract the ico file. Each ZIP is separate for each device, so just pick the one you need. Here is a photo of what the ICON files look like, and which devices I have made ICON Files.

Once you have extracted the ico file, rename it to "sync.ico".

Here are the SAMPLE images. Look to the next few posts for the ZIP files:

After you have obtained the appropriate ZIP file, go to POST #10 below to continue with the instructions.

=======================================================
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Picture - Icon Hack-all-icons.gif  
    Last edited by mrailing; 05-14-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack - Some Cingular Icons

Set 1:

Cingular 2125
    Cingular 3125
    Cingular 8125
    Cingluar 8525
    Samsung BlackJack

==================================
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrailing; 02-22-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack - 6700 icons & Others

Set 2:

6700 Black - Verizon Branded
    6700 Silver - Sprint Branded
    HP RW6800 - Non-Branded
    Audiovox SMT5600 - Non-Branded

==================================
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrailing; 04-16-2007 at 01:28 AM.

Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack - Smartphone Icons

Set 3:

Motorola Q - Black - Angle - Verizon Branded
    Motorola Q - Black - Straight - Verizon Branded
    Morotola Q - Silver - Straight - Sprint Branded
    QTek Smartphone Open
    QTek Smartphone folded

=======================================
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrailing; 03-01-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack - Samsung i730 - i830 Icons

Set 4:

Samsung i830 - Angle - Verizon
    Samsung i830w - Open - Sprint
    Samsung i730 - Closed - Verizon
    Samsung i730 - Open - Verizon

===================================
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrailing; 02-22-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack - Treo 700w, 700wx, 750 Icons

Set 5:

Treo 700w - Non-Branded
    Treo 700wx - Angle - Sprint Branded
    Treo 700wx - Angle - Verizon Branded
    Treo 700wx - Straight - Verizon Branded
    Treo 750 - Cingular Branded

============================================
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrailing; 02-22-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack - Some T-Mobile & Other Icons

Set 6:

T-Mobile Dash
    T-Mobile MDA
    Dell Axim in stand
    Orange SPV M3100

================================
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrailing; 03-01-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Set 7:

Asus A636
    HTC P3600
    SPV 600 Smartphone
    T-Mobile Vario II

================================
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrailing; 05-14-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Windows Mobile Device Center Icon Hack - Installing the Icon File

Step 2: Installing the Icon File

Now that you have obtained the ZIP containing the ICON file, you need to get it installed, and then get Windows Mobile Device Center to see it.

1. Unzip the ICON file from the ZIP file. Just store it on the desktop for the time being.

2. Rename the ICON file to "sync.ico" (without the quotes). This is how WMDC will recognize the file. Right click on "sync.ico" and choose COPY.

3. Place your device in the cradle and let it full sync. This does two things, 1. is allows you to backup all the information on your device, and 2. Lets you access your device so you can place the ICON file in the correct location.

4. You now need to get the ICON file in your \windows\ directory on your device. The problem is (in Microsoft's great wisdom) they hid "system" files on your device in Vista, so through Windows Explorer on the PC, you can't see it by default. Instead of me walking you through turning on those files, we will do it an easy way.

5. On the Main screen of WMDC, go to "File Management" and then click on "Browse the contents of your device." This will pop up a Windows Explorer window allowing you to copy files to the device. In the Pocket PC window on the PC, it lists a "\" for the root of the system, double click on the "\". Right click in the background of this window and hit "PASTE". This will paste the "sync.ico" file on your mobile device.

6. Now move to your mobile device (un-docking if you must), and open File Explorer on your mobile device. Go to the root folder in File Explorer and CLICK AND HOLD on the file. Choose CUT. Open the \Windows\ folder. Scroll all the way to the bottom, and CLICK and HOLD in the white space at the bottom, below all the other icons, and choose PASTE. The "sync.ico" file will appear (it might be missing the .ico extension). Close File Explorer.

7. Now we need to get WMDC to see the icon file...
    Last edited by mrailing; 02-22-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Step 3: Windows Mobile Device Center - Reinstall Driver

Step 3: Windows Mobile Device Center - Reinstall Driver

Now that the ICON file is on the device, we need to reinstall the device driver so that WMDC will see it.

1. Make sure the device is synced and connected to your PC. You need an active connection so that Windows Vista sees your handheld device.

2. Go to the Control Panel.

3. Switch the Control Panel to the "Classic View" in the upper left hand corner of the Control Panel windows.

4. Open Device Manager.

5. Click the small "+" in front of "Portable Devices"

6. Right click on "Pocket PC" or "Windows Mobile Device" or "Smartphone" or similar.

7. Click Uninstall

8. Choose OK when prompted about Uninstalling the device.

9. The Device Manager will flash a time or two, and the device will no longer show up on the Portable Devices list.

10. Remove your Device from the computer.

11. Wait a good 30 seconds to 1 minute and then dock (connect) your device to the computer again.

12. Your computer will now be installing the device once again.

13. Open Windows Mobile Device Center, and you should now see your ICON on the left hand side (see picture below), and you have not lost any details of your partnership.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Picture - Icon Hack-wmdc-finished.gif  
    Last edited by mrailing; 02-22-2007 at 07:07 PM.

So anyone want to comment that has tried this, and let me know how well it worked for you?

I did it, it worked flawlessly. Thanks for the tip, I love this type of customization stuff. Wish MS had made it easier to do this but, whatever it takes to get it looking cool!....
    My PDAs: Handspring Visor Deluxe > Handspring Edge > Ipaq 3850 > Siemens/AT&T SX56 PPCPE > Moto MPx200 Smartphone > Audiovox 4100 PPCPE > Audiovox SMT5600 > Cingular SX66 PPCPE > RIM Blackberry 7520 > RIM Blackberry 7100i > Verizon XV6700 > Samsung BlackJack > AT&T Tilt

Wow. This looks awesome Michael. I don't have Vista, but if I get it this is definitely something I will consider doing. Just curious, did you choose the term Smartphone for aesthetic reasons or is that something one can't change or can? I don't know much about this since I'm still using Active Synch 4.1, and am scare of the other versions. How do you personally like Vista compared to the previous IEs and this new Synch software vs Active Synch?
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick_7
    Wow. This looks awesome Michael. I don't have Vista, but if I get it this is definitely something I will consider doing. Just curious, did you choose the term Smartphone for aesthetic reasons or is that something one can't change or can? I don't know much about this since I'm still using Active Synch 4.1, and am scare of the other versions. How do you personally like Vista compared to the previous IEs and this new Synch software vs Active Synch?
    If you are referring to the name under the ICON picture, it's something you can change and are actually prompted to type in when doing an initial device setup. By default it chooses the name on your account and then puts "Smartphone" after it, which is the generic term Microsoft uses in reference to any phone that's a Pocket PC or Smartphone. Just for the purpose of working on the original screen shots, I didn't change the name under it, but if you look in the last picture above, you will see what I changed to.

Vista is good, but still needs tweaking and programs/drivers to be updated. Many of my "important" apps don't work, and I am forced to either Dual Boot (which I am currently doing) or have my laptop with Windows XP (which it has). Currently there is no IPSEC VPN software available for Vista, and Safenet's Beta was supposed to be released today, but I haven't heard anything about it, nor could I find the beta. Windows CE CAB Manager, which I use to construct cab files for this device also needs to be updated to work with Vista, so I have it installed on my laptop so I can open/edit/create cab files.

Currently I am still awaiting my copies of Vista to arrive, and am using the 30 day trial on the final release of Vista Ultimate. I have been running the betas of Vista in some form or another, but the final code of Vista is very stable.

As far as Windows Mobile Device Center, it's just like ActiveSync with a pretty interface and "better" layout. It allows you to do some interesting syncing and device connectivity that ActiveSync wasn't that great on, but all in all it works the same as ActiveSync. I, as well as my discussions with tsatryan, there is a syncing issue with the i730. It doesn't always sync on the first connection, and sometimes you have to "try again" to get it to sync. But this happens about every 20 dockings, and once connected, I haven't had any issues.
    Last edited by mrailing; 02-24-2007 at 02:23 AM.

Works great thank you. If you want to save a bit of space on yur phone you can remove the sync.ico from the windows directory and all still works OK.

Does anyone have a Orange SPV M3100 icon please?

Regards

Alan Preece

Be True, Unbeliever

If you find me a photo of the device, with around 250x250 dimensions, and hopefully a solid color background (either post the photo here, or post a direct link to the JPG/GIF), I will try to create a graphic from it.

Anxiously Awaiting Android jpurv's Avatar
    Hey Mike. Nice job, buddy. Looks like your hack is a hit in the UK: http://msmobiles.com/news.php/6103.html

http://www.4winmobile.com/portal.php?topic_id=4826
    Free Katie Holmes!

HTC P3600 WMDC Icon

Hey, thanks for the info, I've created a P3600 icon and posted it on xda-devs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast