+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks

More on Finger Friendly

Well, I have improved finger friendliness of Pocket Outlook email a little. I just went into the settings for the screen and made the text size bigger. Now the screen doesn't show as many email titles or as much text per page but the entries are taller and I can touch the specific one I want much more easily than I could before. Guess I'll stick with this for now as the SilverInbox is just too buggy so far.

Omnia Manual works well from a speedy microSDHC card with Acrobat PPC REader v2.0

Put your manual on a microSDHC storage card and read it with Adobe Acrobat PPC Reader (Adobe, free!). Haven't tried the built-in Omnia PDF Viewer.

Configuration tips in this post: http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...tml#post772331

EDIT: If you hold the Omnia in landscape mode when you start the Acrobat PPC Reader, you will get full landscape when the Reader app opens. If you start out in portrait and rotate your Omnia after Acrobat Reader opens, the screen adjusts poorly to the WQVGA resolution and is messed up (but still readable), not using all available screen width.
    Last edited by Jim Lewis; 01-07-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: landscape tip
    -Jim-

Use every part of the buffalo - Brad Bird

Hidden Samsung Today Screen

I found this little tip on the www.samsun-omnia.org site...I guess there is a hidden today screen that verizon did not include in the final build....

All is needed is to create a registry entry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\Samsung Today 2]
    "Order"=dword:00000003
    "Flags"=dword:00000000
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "Options"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000005
    "Selectability"=dword:00000002
    "DLL"="secst.dll"

worked great on my phone....

Samsung Omnia - [Verizon] Add Samsung Today 2 to your Omnia and Save Space

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgold View Post
    I found this little tip on the www.samsun-omnia.org site...I guess there is a hidden today screen that verizon did not include in the final build....

"DLL"="secst.dll"

Screenshot? What is different about it? What does it let us do?

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Well, I have improved finger friendliness of Pocket Outlook email a little. I just went into the settings for the screen and made the text size bigger. Now the screen doesn't show as many email titles or as much text per page but the entries are taller and I can touch the specific one I want much more easily than I could before. Guess I'll stick with this for now as the SilverInbox is just too buggy so far.
    Can you tell me more specifics? By going "into the settings" are you talking registry or options within Outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by JonV View Post
    Can you tell me more specifics? By going "into the settings" are you talking registry or options within Outlook?
    Settings > System > Screen > Select Text size tab at bottom "Adjust the text size to see more content or increase the readability in many programs. " Doesn't help much in changing accounts or folders (use the mouse toggle there) but helps once the email subjects are listed.

Settings > System > Screen > Select Text size tab at bottom "Adjust the text size to see more content or increase the readability in many programs. " Doesn't help much in changing accounts or folders (use the mouse toggle there) but helps once the email subjects are listed.
    Leave it to me to over-think it! Those Screen Settings! I don't want to say I'm getting old but that was the first thing I did after turning mine on! I was hoping for MORE! Thanks.

"DLL"="secst.dll"

I tried getting this to work with mine and no luck. The only way I've gotten it to work is with the CAB file that installs it.

Quote Originally Posted by pwmcmaho View Post
    I saw this on another forum, but it is a great tip:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Phone\Skin]
    "Enabled"=dword:1, you should change to 0 and reboot your Omnia

This will enable the standard windows dialer without any screen lock.... gives you a bit more program memory (maybe 4-5 meg)...

However, it does diable the vibration on the dialer buttons.

pw-man
    Is this the dialer you got? I had to download this from Modaco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips and Tricks-newmodacodialer.jpg  

Samsung Today Screen 2

Here are some screen shots....There is also a new contact page...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips and Tricks-samsung2.jpg   Tips and Tricks-samsung2settings.jpg  
    Last edited by Lostgold; 01-07-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: adding

Thanks, looks nice. Think I'll stick with my SPB skins since I have so much learning curve time invested.

Is this the dialer you got? I had to download this from Modaco
    Well it turns out this is not the Modaco dialer but a standard winmo that apparently was in the Omnia all the time. It is certainly not the one I got when I did the registry edit. Not as nice as the Samsung dialer but It's the only usable one I can find without the intolerable screen lock.

I was able to get it turned on, but how did you get the variations, there seems to be limited configuration options. are there other registry settings?

New Mexico (yes that's in the USA & the water is drinkable)
    Is there a replacement for the functionality of Phonealarm? (profile's and scheduled switching)

I'm amazed no one seems to be using it anymore? it's one of the absolute first programs I install on my PDAPhones ... the ability for it to recognize and automatically switch to a meeting profile based on my calendar events...

I find that one of the best tips/tricks in the book ... also having all alerts except the phone ringer go silent at night ... dropping the volume to 10% for the ringer on the phone and then having volumes come back up as I rise and shine ... not to mention silencing the work email while sitting at my desk staring at my workstation ...

Dangerous I remember you using and skinning it a while back ... Don't I??

Miata I know this isn't in the lines of the RegHacks we have been seeing but the tip/trick of auto sound profile controls ... one of the must haves for me ...
    Favorite DNRC's inDUHvidual's quotes

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous"
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDaGeek View Post
    Is there a replacement for the functionality of Phonealarm? (profile's and scheduled switching)
    hi,

i use SPB Phone Suite. it has profiles and rules that can be created and programmed. you can switch rules based on time, appointment status and hardware changes (headset, car, etc.) i find it to be very flexible and powerful. it also integrates with SPB mobile Shell, which is one of my "must have's" for any WinMo phone.
    blessings,
    daniel

Time for a Phone Manager thread?

Quote Originally Posted by sbdan View Post
    hi,

i use SPB Phone Suite. it has profiles and rules that can be created and programmed. you can switch rules based on time, appointment status and hardware changes (headset, car, etc.) i find it to be very flexible and powerful. it also integrates with SPB mobile Shell, which is one of my "must have's" for any WinMo phone.
    I'd like to hear more about how Spb Phone Suite integrates with Mobile Shell. (it's all a plot by Spb to sell as many other programs as possible to make Mobile Shell truly useful!)

I really like other Spb products so thanks for explaining, maybe in another thread, how Phone Suite works with Mobile Shell.
    -Jim-

Hi all. I was quiet for the last 5 or so days so I have not been around. PhoneAlarm was a must have for me back in the i730 days - it was almost worthless without it. I didnt need it on my Q's as the profile management on the WM Standard phones is pretty good out of the box. When I had my Omnia and the Saga I didnt really feel the need for PA because Mobile Shell handled the profiles and indicators pretty well. I dont know enough about SPB PhoneSuite to comment on it but I will be checking it out.

Jim, a phone manager thread is not a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Miata492 View Post
    Hi all. I was quiet for the last 5 or so days so I have not been around. PhoneAlarm was a must have for me back in the i730 days - it was almost worthless without it. I didnt need it on my Q's as the profile management on the WM Standard phones is pretty good out of the box. When I had my Omnia and the Saga I didnt really feel the need for PA because Mobile Shell handled the profiles and indicators pretty well. I dont know enough about SPB PhoneSuite to comment on it but I will be checking it out.

Jim, a phone manager thread is not a bad idea...
    Welcome back! We were missing you. I was impressed with olandir and suggested he might want to help you out with moderating but he said he thought the power would go to his head and he'd be sending people straight to the gallows. We know you won't do that!
    -Jim-

Quick question for you Ninja,

Do I also delete the #777 as well as the 1501, or just the 1501??

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja4Hire View Post
    EDIT:

Delete the 1501, but you can keep the entry.....