+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Overheating Problem- Phone goes dead

Battery at 80%. Phone on, WIFI & BT off. Lock screen, turn off backlight and place in belt case. Two hours later I take out the phone. It is very hot to the touch and will not turn on. Paper clip in SR hole has no effect. Phone seems stone hot dead. Removed battery, reinserted, and press power key. Phone reboots and comes up with 40% battery warning. Don't know what the phone has been up to but something sure caused it to get hot and use a lot of battery. Only thing using BB would be pocketweather for current conditions at two hours and email at two hours. Anyone have any clues? I searched "hot battery" and just "hot" but got no hits. This situation could be really bad.
    Wait until tomorrow to Procrastinate.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Battery at 80%. Phone on, WIFI & BT off. Lock screen, turn off backlight and place in belt case. Two hours later I take out the phone. It is very hot to the touch and will not turn on. Paper clip in SR hole has no effect. Phone seems stone hot dead. Removed battery, reinserted, and press power key. Phone reboots and comes up with 40% battery warning. Don't know what the phone has been up to but something sure caused it to get hot and use a lot of battery. Only thing using BB would be pocketweather for current conditions at two hours and email at two hours. Anyone have any clues? I searched "hot battery" and just "hot" but got no hits. This situation could be really bad.
    Maybe it's a warranty issue on your phone or your battery and Vzw will take care of it for you? (never looked into how long any out-of-box warranty lasts)
    -Jim-

Use every part of the buffalo - Brad Bird

Wow - sounds like a battery issue to me (having dealt with the symptoms of bad laptop batteries before). One thing I discovered is that the phone has some built in intelligence regarding charging and temperature; it's been a cold winter here in the Northeast. I left the phone mounted in my car for about a half-hour one cold morning and when I returned and started up the car, which activated the power adapter, the phone displayed a message that said "Phone Temperature is low, therefore battery charging will be suspended."
    Perhaps the phone wouldn't turn on as protection when it detected a strange voltage event, or it detected the ambient temperature too high.

Hmm. Hadn't considered the bad battery angle.

I recharged that battery and put it back in. No probs after nearly 24 hours.
    I was sitting in the "Lazee Boy" recliner with the phone kinda wedged between my side and the luxurious arm cushion which would have been pretty hefty insulation. I'll see if I can reproduce that.
    I have 3 batteries and will monitor to see if the others exhibit this behavior or if it's just the one.

my battery gets hot on charger very hot. esp usb charger.

Ditto here JohnnyD

wtherrell,

What on earth do you need 3 batteries for? Hopefully not the same phone. You'll ruin the battery contacts before the life of the phone is up. Don't you have an outlet or a car charger nearby during the day?

--ET

Too much heat is bad for Li-ion batteries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDemarco View Post
    my battery gets hot on charger very hot. esp usb charger.
    Same as for you and Naider, Johnny. I tend to avoid charging by USB and stick with the AC adapter (or not leave it in a long time on USB). The silicone case insulates the phone but then if the phone were sitting on a table, etc., while charging, it would also be insulated on the bottom pretty well, too, with heat buildup. Excessive heat is bad for Li-ion batteries per Wikipedia article and Omnia manual.

Nutty Plan to Maximize Lifetime of Batteries

Nutty Plan to Maximize Lifetime of Batteries

P.S. previous Samsung phones for me(i700, i730), the charging stand held the phone up in the air where it could ~radiate heat in all directions.
    -Jim-

Quote Originally Posted by ETphonehome View Post
    wtherrell,

What on earth do you need 3 batteries for? Hopefully not the same phone. You'll ruin the battery contacts before the life of the phone is up. Don't you have an outlet or a car charger nearby during the day?

--ET
    You could be right. Golf course recently changed to all electric carts. Don't know what voltage they are and no cig. lighter receptacles, tho. Sometimes just out hiking the woods a couple of days at a time
    One in phone, one carried as spare when away from office, one in charger cradle. For me, it's quicker to swap batteries than mess with extra cables, plugging in and waiting, etc.
    Not too worried about the contacts, but I am a little anxious about whether the back cover will hold up.

Is it the Battery getting Hot.

I have noticed my phone getting hot while using it and it is usually hot when I am having issues with my battery not keeping charged. But It seems to be getting hod way down at the bottom not near the top where the battery is.

I am starting to think my battery issues are related to poor coverage and it is constantly trying to reconnect and heats up the radio.

Just started another thread by mistake on heat... but the past week or so my omnia has been hot as well... I took the back cover off and it is not specifically where the battery is, its down behind the keys. I'll have to pull of the service manual pdf and see what is behind there....
    pw-man

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Yes. I to am experiencing heat when using the phone.

Then again almost every cell, PDA, notebook device I have ever used radiates some heat. Of course some more than others.

Most modern devices have sensors which read heat. If a device is getting to hot it will simply power off untill it is reset or correct operational tempature is restored.

If you have a device that powers off with slight use it might be defective. If your able to load all the applications at once and fry up some bacon on it at the same time without it ever giving you problems you have a winner.

For the first 2 weeks of owning a new device I load resource hog programs and burn it in GOOD. If the device takes the abuse for a full 2 weeks then it should be good for the next 2 yrs.

jaycarl - interesting perspective - My older Sammys (700,730) did only got warm... I'd say the Omnia is much more consistently warm, something I did not notice the first few months... I've had this same phone since the launch in November...
    pw-man

Phone locks up, overheats, battery almost dead!

I think I just got to join the Phone Overheats, Battery goes Dead! Club with wtherrell and pw-man.

Last thing was I was checking my e-mail/active synching - can't remember exactly what. Tried to turn on phone driving home in the car and just thought the sun light was too bright, couldn't see the screen. Pick up the phone 2 to 3 hours later. Really hot! And won't come on (maybe because of the low-battery, device protection feature?). Soft reset and the battery is at 20% with dire warnings.

So at least for me, an intermediate warning is that the phone won't come on. And hopefully, an escape will be soft reset immediately. Must be something that locks the processor in maxxed out state since it sure kills the battery fast with no display on (2 to 3 hours to totally drain the battery).

EDIT: didn't do a careful check - thought about it too late - but it does seem to be the lower part of the phone, the processor/board area, not the battery compartment that gets hot

EDIT2: Unsubstantiated theory. Phone wouldn't turn on shortly after e-mail check-but by then the battery must have been pretty well-drained, the reason it wouldn't turn on again without the reset. Earlier I was using Microsoft's official Facebook release and I was updating but nothing was downloading - maybe if you lock into something like that where some handshaking is going on to keep the data connnection alive, yadda yadda, you can get locked into a data connection that's burning cellular power plus processor power and kabbam! So for now, I'm unfairly blaming it on spinning my wheels with a funny Facebook app connection.
    Last edited by Jim Lewis; 05-22-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    -Jim-

I know a guy who had the same problem with his omnia. he's got a different one now and it works fine and he did nothing different to it... seems to happen in a few of them

Quote Originally Posted by OWUaaronTSi View Post
    I know a guy who had the same problem with his omnia. he's got a different one now and it works fine and he did nothing different to it... seems to happen in a few of them
    Oh, no! Hope it's not the beginning of the end for me and this Omnia!
    -Jim-

WM Phone Dude
    I received my omnia last Saturday. It has gotten hot daily and the battery, after a full charge, lasts only about 3 hours max. I called VZW and they said to take it into a local store and it would be replaced. I expect a replacement not to get hot. I guess we'll see...

WM Phone Dude
    Oops, looks like I'm mixing too many topics. I posted information on the getting hot and low battery life on another post. Here is the link...

Quote Originally Posted by knipknup View Post
    Oops, looks like I'm mixing too many topics. I posted information on the getting hot and low battery life on another post. Here is the link...
    Thanks for searching and linking! That really helps keep things organized and turns the forum into a useful web of information. (a little Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    -Jim-

Im kind of curious where the thermal protection is happening. Originally I thought maybe it was something built in to the architechture of the preocessor like others had suggested, but in pouring over the ARM920T technical specs (a 300+ page pdf) I couldnt find anything suggesting it had such capabilities. Anyone know if the Omnia runs a sort of CMOS? I would assume so because of the fact that, the way the Omnia works is very similar to a computer. On a computer, its the BIOS that reads the core temperature and offers thermal protection. Just curious if the Omnia does the same.