+ Reply to Thread

Google Mobile Sync

I think this is new and kinda hot!

Google Mobile - Sync

Syncs your google contacts and calendar with your phone. Just installed and just testing. It duplicated some contacts I had and I have to check that out.

It uses your ActiveSync Exchange settings. Therefore, if you are using Exchange already like I was you have to choose. It's pretty neat as it pushes changes you make in your google calendar to your phone and vice versa.

It's Beta and use at your own risk of course.

I'm tired of Outlook's constraints!
    Last edited by JonV; 02-10-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonV View Post
    I think this is new and kinda hot!

Google Mobile - Sync

It's Beta and use at your own risk of course.
    Sounds cool! But once again succumbing to the siren lure of beta testing! It must be in our genes.
    -Jim-

Use every part of the buffalo - Brad Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
    Sounds cool! But once again succumbing to the siren lure of beta testing! It must be in our genes.
    Come to think of it I think everything about Google always says Beta. Gmail and Calendar say Beta! I think they just live in beta mode. Weird.

Come to think of it I think everything about Google always says Beta. Gmail and Calendar say Beta! I think they just live in beta mode. Weird.
    Maybe Google has found the secret of attracting fireflies to the light! You slap BETA on it and stand back with a net.
    -Jim-

Use every part of the buffalo - Brad Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
    Maybe Google has found the secret of attracting fireflies to the light! You slap BETA on it and stand back with a net.
    Plus it's automatic limit of liability! Hey, it's just a Beta release. What did you expect? Perfection?

I know i am but what are you?
    Plus it's automatic limit of liability! Hey, it's just a Beta release. What did you expect? Perfection?
    And hey, they now have all your contacts and they are now reading your emails.

I don't Trust anything that google does, especially with my data / contacts / files.

(i also hear they are offering on line backups for your data, ...).

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    And hey, they now have all your contacts and they are now reading your emails.

I don't Trust anything that google does, especially with my data / contacts / files.

(i also hear they are offering on line backups for your data, ...).
    True that! It bothers the heck out of me when I'm in Gmail and the ads are for things related to the dang email I'm reading or just wrote! Big brother for sure!

In case anyone else tries this out, be aware of a bug that I consider major: each all-day event you enter in your google calendar gets synced to the phone ONE DAY TOO EARLY!

How does that get not get found in google's testing (unless as we "joke": we ARE google's testing).

Going from the phone to google works fine.

eez
    J2ON
    Anyone set this up on Omnia with Verizon network?
    I have a security certificate error.

I have it set up on my vzw gpsless omnia. When are you getting the error? I set mine up more than a month ago so I don't remember exactly how the setup went. I do remember after setting it up the first time it worked fine then I it stopped and I would get an error but I can't remember what it was. In active sync on my phone I had to go to menu> options then delete all my connections and start over. It's been working ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by eez View Post
    Anyone set this up on Omnia with Verizon network?
    I have a security certificate error.
    It's been working fine with me since it opened up. You don't have anything in the Domain setting do you?

m.google.com and check that it requires SSL. next.
    user name and password. next
    click Contracts and Calendar. Finish.

eez
    J2ON
    Yeah, I followed exactly same as described on google.com/sync.

m.google.com / SSL / user name / password and only Contacts and Calendar.

The error message says "The security certificate on the server is not valid".

Should I remove USB connection as well? I have a sync connection with my laptop.

Here's a thread on google support: Sync fail with certificate error 0x80072F06 - Google Mobile Help

Are you @gmail.com? I use my own domain name via google apps so our mileage may be varying due to that.

Registered Abuser
    Does this work okay with the $30 verizon data plan? I was afraid this would rack up the fees.