+ Reply to Thread

i760 + Data Plan = Nice Internet Radio

The i760 is by far the best phone I've had, but it's especially good for streaming internet radio in the car. On Verizons plan the EVDO coverage is pretty good in L.A. and I rarely ever drop the stream. Currently I have to use a cassette adapter but maybe in the future I'll get a Bluetooth head unit (which would cut down on wire clutter in the car.) If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it, and here's some stations if you're so inclined. Mostly house and techno because that's what I like, but Shoutcast has streams for anyone. Just extract the folder and put it somewhere on your phone, then tap a station to open it in whatever player you have configured to handle .pls files. (i.e. TCMP/Core Player/WMP(?)

Enjoy!

PS: the phone actually sounds halfway decent with its own stereo speakers IF you slide the keyboard open
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kiint; 01-07-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Yeah, I agree, streaming internet radio on EVDO is rock solid compared to wi-fi which flakes out, buffers and drops the stream a lot. But, do keep in mind that, in case you are not aware, that streaming audio and video is a violation of VZW Terms of service so as a personal self-imposed rule I "treat" (limit) myself to about 100 MB of audio @ 74 kbs per month. Which amounts to about 3 hours. I used to be able to get the same content over a different radio station at 20 kbs (still very good for audio) but they switched from newstalk to baseball
    Last edited by dima; 01-07-2008 at 09:37 PM.

true, but ironically VCast is specifically designed to download video and music...?? Sure it's not streaming per se, but bandwidth is bandwidth...just my $.02

Agreed, bandwidth is bandwidth, but I *think* VCAST is deployed on dedicated data channels at an exta fee if i'm not mistaken, so that the normal data and voice channels aren't impacted.

Let's go LTE...100 Mbs or better...

LTE sounds good, to be sure..but are you saying that non-vcast data usage impacts voice channels? I didn't know that, always thought voice bandwidth was a miniscule drop in the bucket compared to most data usage

cYGONE
    live 365 is the best streaming internet radio.

love streaming sirius radio!

If you have your own webserver and media collection, I've been working on a clean interface for jinzora for my i760:

Home - Jinzora :: Free Your Media

works great with TCPMP.

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do you configure programs to handle .pls files. I stored Kiint's folder of .pls files, and clicked on one. It opened up vtap, but no luck playing. I then tried opening them from within WMP, but it did not recognize the files. I have had some luck entering URLs of radio stations into WMP, but not with these files. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pandora is my favorite internet radio, but I have yet figured out a way to play it through the phone, which is a bummer because I have a nice online play list saved there.

virtualda5id, did you try TCPMP?

Sirius Radio

Quote Originally Posted by JDM2 View Post
    love streaming sirius radio!
    Extreme Newbie here...I assume it is possible to stream Sirius through the WiFi. How do I do this. I kept getting an error when I tried it.

There is a whole thread devoted to Sirius Radio: Can you log onto your Sirius account and listen to it w/the i760?

David

dumb question - in need of step-by-step

I listen to a local AM station on the way home. Unfortunately, about 15 minutes into my ride home, the signal gets so weak thats its unbearable to listen to.

the station does stream their signal over the internet... so how do i get my i760 to stream this? Ive tried going to the website on my phone and clicking the link, but the browser doesn't do anything from then on.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Sunbound

Quote Originally Posted by sunbound View Post

the station does stream their signal over the internet... so how do i get my i760 to stream this? Ive tried going to the website on my phone and clicking the link, but the browser doesn't do anything from then on.

Sunbound
    You might want to try a different browser. I use Skyfire to stream. I haven't tried opera mini but it may be an option as well.

I would love to try Skyfire.... looks like im on a waiting list for the beta now.

I might try opera, any other browsers worth looking at?

thanks

Sunbound

Quote Originally Posted by sunbound View Post
    I listen to a local AM station on the way home. Unfortunately, about 15 minutes into my ride home, the signal gets so weak thats its unbearable to listen to.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Sunbound
    On your browser, go to: The Mobile Stream Center - Listen to United States Radio Stations on your Pocket PC, Palm, Symbian-based handheld, Smartphone, PDA or other mobile device via Wi-Fi, GPRS or Bluetooth

You can search by station name or callsign. I use this to listen to my favorite Philly morning radio show when I'm traveling.
    Go Fightins'!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Insurance Guy View Post
    On your browser, go to: The Mobile Stream Center - Listen to United States Radio Stations on your Pocket PC, Palm, Symbian-based handheld, Smartphone, PDA or other mobile device via Wi-Fi, GPRS or Bluetooth

You can search by station name or callsign. I use this to listen to my favorite Philly morning radio show when I'm traveling.
    Yeah, this used to be called radio4pda.com - Awesome site!

Jim

I got Select Radio for my phone about a month ago after I added the data plan and am really enjoying it. I subscribe to both Sirius and XM - the program lets me enter my username and password into my prefrences and it logs me into the sites automatically. Also I don't have to have a seperate sites for XM and Sirius. It also has Shout Cast , several other sites and allows me to import my own sites.

The cost of the software was $25, but if I signed up for a 3 month subscription to Audible.com they waived the fee. Since the 3 month subscription equals 3 audio books, and can be cancelled before the promotional rate goes up to the normal cost, I went for it.