+ Reply to Thread

Newbie wanting some help

Hi there,
    Just joined today and was looking for some guidance on a few things. Before this I used a Palm Treo 650 and I have had my SCH-i760 for 3 weeks now and got it mostly the way I want it but there are a few things I would like to be able to do:

1. The biggest one is to password protect contacts to hide them from view (like the sensitivity in the appointments). Any suggestions on a bolt-on prduct that would give me the contact management I am looking for that has this as a feature? Or am I just missing an included feature that I cannot figure out?

2. is there and easy to configure the alerts for all the various types of things that come in such as SMS and notifications. Seems like everyday I find a new one I have to tweak to make it right.

3. Battery life - any way to get more life out of the battery? Seems like I am always recharging on my way home at night just to check voicemail.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Dan

Hobby of the week-aholic
    1: Ultimately your best bet is to lock the phone itself. There are programs out there that will password protect your contacts but they are easily circumvented by simply uninstalling them. If someone has access to your phone then they could simply uninstall your security software and then have free roam of your info. If you are simply trying to keep someone from casually perusing your contacts while showing off your phone or keep a jealous significant other at bay then you might look into a few of these:

Eye on Privacy
    Skb Contact Manager

There are certainly others and a quick google search of "windows mobile contacts password protect" or similar will show others.

2:For the built in method, go to Start > Settings > Sounds and Notifications > Notifications tab. Select the notification you want to change then use the available options to alter them.

For even more control consider 3rd party software such as PhoneAlarm. I love phonealarm, tons of customization possible but can be overwhelming for some. If all you want to do is change the sounds for various notifications, just use the built in functions of WM6.

3:Conserve battery life by keeping the wifi radio turned off unless actually using a wifi connection. Set the backlight timeout as short as you can stand. Set the phone to go to "sleep" while on a phone call (Start>Settings>System Tab>Power>Power Save Tab. Those are the most common causes of weak battery life.

Personally I use my phone for about 1 hour of phone calls, 1 hour of web surfing, 20+sms, 15+ emails, 1 hour of entering notes and appointments, and probably at least an hour of just playing. At the end of the day I still have at least 50% power remaining on the standard battery. There have been reports of bad batteries out there so if you are getting really bad life and not using it at least as much as I stated, then you might consider taking in for a replacement battery.

Hope that helps.

Hobby of the week-aholic
    Oh, and on the battery life note: I've also noticed that using speakerphone or playing music through the phone's speakers at max volume will quickly sap the battery. A 30 minute speakerphone call will eat almost half my standard battery at max volume.

Thnaks for all the info. I'll try some of these.