+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LCD QUESTIONS

LCD QUESTIONS

is it normal that LCD only dims when you set it to turn off on the Backlight settings? the LCD only seems to turn off in the Sleep mode

my other LCD question is does anyone else notice a RIPPLING EFFECT on the LCD when pressure is put on the sides of the phone adjacent t the screen(in a vertical position)

Quote Originally Posted by xtian63 View Post
    is it normal that LCD only dims when you set it to turn off on the Backlight settings? the LCD only seems to turn off in the Sleep mode

my other LCD question is does anyone else notice a RIPPLING EFFECT on the LCD when pressure is put on the sides of the phone adjacent t the screen(in a vertical position)
    I'm not sure how to answer your first question beacause I dont understand what your asking. It's normal that the LCD dims if it hasn't been touched in awhile. It's a power saving feature. When dimmed (and the device not locked) if you tap the screen it removes the dim and resets the timer for how long untill the device dims again and how long till it falls asleep.

The device will fall asleep after X amount of time (configurable) at which point it turns the LCD completly off. This is all norma and expected. If you search you'll find several threads on LCD dimming or 'flickering'

Squishy LCD - if you search for squishy or soft LCD you'll find this thread which originated when the device came out. Long story short its how the device is designed and its normal.
    Last edited by tange1; 01-10-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Not Certain I Understand The Question, Either...

But are you aware that the screen goes into power save mode in two stages? First, the screen dims, and then the screen/device goes to sleep mode.

The settings for dimming and sleep mode are independently configurable:
    • Screen Dimming is controlled from the Settings menu's Backlight page
    • Sleep Mode is controlled from the Settings menu's Power page, on the Advanced tab
    The "rippling effect" has been discussed at length, and is normal for this type of screen. My opinion is that the screen will definitely show the rippling distortion if you press hard enough, but that the screen is responsive enough that there really is no need to press that hard. I suspect that many of the folks who are concerned with this are accustomed to older style, hard (i.e. Palm) screens. If you're interested in additional info, you could do a forum search (imagine that!), but I'll save you the trouble; CLICK HERE or HERE.

I hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by Dzanda; 01-10-2008 at 08:26 AM.