+ Reply to Thread
    BCB

hard reset to factory settings?

Does a hard reset completely restore the phone to factory settings? I did a hard reset and when I went to reinstall some software, the registration codes were still in the registry and I didn't have to reenter the codes.

Is the normal?

Brian

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Does a hard reset completely restore the phone to factory settings? I did a hard reset and when I went to reinstall some software, the registration codes were still in the registry and I didn't have to reenter the codes.

Is the normal?

Brian
    No that is not normal.
    A hard reset (HR) (if done correctly) will restore the device back to factory settings.

What was the procedure that you used to do the HR?

BCB
    Hold down center D-pad key and soft reset button... the release soft reset button. The screen said "clearing data" and then it reset itself. I did have to recalibrate the touchscreen, so I assumed it all reset.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    No that is not normal.
    A hard reset (HR) (if done correctly) will restore the device back to factory settings.

What was the procedure that you used to do the HR?

That is odd--you didn't do a reinstall of a backup did you? Anything on the sd card?
    Jeremiah 29:11

BCB
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    That is odd--you didn't do a reinstall of a backup did you? Anything on the sd card?
    I had no backup software, I was just try to do a fresh install of everthing. The SD card had just Word docs, pictures, and music. I didn't have any software installed there.

I should add that it was SPB pocket plus and phone suite that I didn't need to re-register. I did have to do it for Pocket Player, though.

All the software was removed so I assume that most of the hard reset did occur.

Brian

BCB-- I thought the same thing happened to me one time. After a few days I got a pop-up saying my free trial was over and I needed to enter the registration codes. Even if you bought the software, some of it goes in as a free trial when you install it until you reenter the registration codes. If you actually read the registry, though, and the codes were there after the reset, then my explanation is not the right one in your case. I had it happen with Pocket Weather and a couple of others I can't remember right now.

BCB
    Thanks to those that have tried to help me on this issue. I did another hard reset to try to duplicate the results. This time it all reset as it was supposed to. Still not sure how that happened.

Brian

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I've had a similar experience with a hold the center of the d pad down and soft reset ... Hard Reset ... except in my case some of my files in my documents where still there .. I found if I go under settings/phone/security/clear all data ... it does clear all data ... it's just like it came from the factory after that ... every time ... not sure what the difference is ... but there is a difference
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

SPB software installs from either a cab or PC installer. If you use the PC installer, the registration code is entered on the PC. It may have retained it there when you reinstalled. Just a thought....
    Jeremiah 29:11