+ Reply to Thread

Bluetooth Disconnecting

After reading the sticky thread on Multiple Devices not auto reconnecting, I noticed that people in there have a similar problem that I have:

Bluetooth disconnects (seemingly randomly) with only 1 device configured.

In my case, I have a Toyota Prius with the Bluetooth built-in. In other cases of co-workers who have the i760, they have Plantronics Voyager 510S headsets, as well as BMW car kits. Same problem. The i760 connects to the car/headset and works correctly for a time. Then it suddenly loses it's connection to the car or headset.

When connected, the i760 shows the "Hands Free" mode as checked. When the disconnect happens, that "Hands Free" becomes unchecked.

Simply checking the "Hands Free" box and chosing "Save" causes the i760 to hang with an hourglass for about 30 seconds before exiting. The car/headset remain disconnected. The only way to get the device back is to power it off (shut off the Plantronics headset or turn off the car) and then back on.

Here are the things I've noticed:

1) The bluetooth light flashes every 5 seconds while bluetooth is on

2) The phone seems to have 3 power modes. Full Power (screen on), Low Power (screen off, but apps still running) and Deep Sleep (screen off, LED's dark)

3) When the disconnect happens, it seems to me (and I could be totally off base here) that the phone enters that Deep Sleep mode. The LED stops flashing blue. Then, something wakes the phone back into Low Power mode (for me and my co-workers it's usually Activesync delivering an e-mail) - after which the LED starts flashing blue again every 5 seconds. But by then the disconnect has already happened.

So - I guess to test this theory, I would need to keep the phone alive (ping it?) so it can never enter this Deep Sleep mode. And see if bluetooth stays connected to the car (or headset for my coworkers).

Anyone have comments on this, or experience the same thing?

I have the same problem with my Plantronics ear piece. I didn't realize that the sleep modes may be causing a problem. Nice observation.

Producer/Engineer Composer/Musician Toph's Avatar

Thumbs down

I also have this problem with the i760 unchecking the box randomly with my 2005 Prius. This has nothing to do with the onboard bluetooth in the car...my i730 worked flawlessly with the Prius. As far as I can see, this is an issue with the way Samsung programmed bluetooth devices to connect and disconnect.

What we all need to do is continually call Samsung and let them know how big of an issue this is.

It the meantime keep monitoring the bluetooth thread at the top of the forum for new developments.
    Peace,
    Toph