+ Reply to Thread

Syncing and error code 0x80072F0D

Hi All.

Has anyone else here been able to fix error code 0x80072F0D? The message is, "The security certificate on the server is not valid. Contact your Exchange Server administrator or ISP to install a valid certificate on the server.."

I am trying to sync my i760 to an Exchange 2007 server. My desktop is Vista. It is syncing Outlook notes, but not my calendar/contacts/tasks, nor my e-mail. I have tried the different combinations of syncing wirelessly or only through my desktop computer. I have done several hard-resets along the way to make sure I'm starting fresh each time.

After reading this forum, I got a root.cer from my IT director and installed it on the phone. The install seemed to go smoothly, but that didn't fix the problem. I called Verizon tech support and the guy said the problem was not covered by Verizon tech support. I read a Microsoft forum entry that claims the Verizon phone is locked and "This lock prevents you from installing Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates correctly." Error message when you use ActiveSync to synchronize a Windows Mobile 5.0-based device: "The security certificate on the server is invalid"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think you need the root certificate, you need the self-signed certificate that the Exchange server is using, which probably has nothing whatsoever to do with the root certificate since it's self-signed. Just tell your admin that importing the root.cer didn't work - is it possible that there's a server specific certificate floating around? If they say "no," fire up your favorite web browser and go to the URL that they gave you for syncing. Open up the certificate details by double-clicking on the lock icon (Firefox or IE will both do this) and look at the certificate and issuing authority. You might end up teaching them something...

Have you found a resolution to this problem yet lavidamd? I have the same problem in our organization with the i760. Every other mobile device syncs fine with exchange except this awful device!

If you know how to download the cert from your exchange site you can install it yourself and there's an option to ignore the fact that it feels your cert isn't valid. My cert was hand made and doesn't conform to whatever standard the phone is looking for but I was able to install it and get past it w/o much trouble. It was worse on WM5 than WM6, 6 at least gave you the option to ignore the fact that it isn't valid if you copy the file to your device and click on it.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Does anyone have a site that has instructions how to install a certificate on the phone **and** download the cert from the exchange site as mentioned by tange1? I am having the same issues after the i760 was working for about 5 months. Now it is intermittently working 10% of the time.
    Thanks.

(follow-up from LaVidaMD)

I have ended up using Verizon Wireless Sync most of the time and it has been working well for my Outlook stuff. It's not a perfect solution, because I have two third-party software packages that only sync when tethered (Ilium e-wallet and ListPro). Instead, every once in a while, I copy my wallet and lists to my microSD card.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when/if I want to add another software application.