+ Reply to Thread

Has anyone disassembled their SCH-i760?

Topic says it all... Discuss

SuperDave has. He started a thread on it. You can probably do a search for posts by him as I don't think he has posted much since. Might be in the FAQ or photos thread too.

Thanks JDCJ.. Searched once, didn't see anything.

Samsung I760 Exposed

Found it! Splayed bare to the world.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    ... I don't think he has posted much since.
    Where in the World Wide Web is SuperDave? Anyone seen him around?

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Where in the World Wide Web is SuperDave? Anyone seen him around?
    I PM'd him a week or two ago basically asking as much...haven't gotten a response yet. Hope he gets back soon, he spurs the best hacks. I have a concern though that he might have picked up a different phone as his profile said his phone is a Panstar, not the i760 as I expected to see. I asked him about that as well.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

I saw a post of his from the nov/dec '07 timeframe that indicated that he rockin' the Mogul w/ Sprint's SERO plan. Not sure why he's still got the pantech clammy in his profile, maybe it's to throw people off his scent. The i760 that he tore down was acquired via donations from his rabid pdaphonehome fanbase. He also hinted that he was going to hack T9 into the i760s number pad, and that he was working on getting the i760 onto sprint's network... it's all right here in this pamphlet

Post Yes, just replaced lcd.

Man alive, that was not fun. I had to replace my lcd screen after an accident cracked it.

Fortunately, ebay has the screen for sale OEM brand new for around $55. Unfortunately, i couldn't take pictures because my only viable camera at the moment is this phone.

So here's the rundown:
    1. Remove Battery
    2. Pull out 2 rubber insets from top back of phone. Remove all 6 screws.
    3. Remove rear shell with small flat screwdriver along the outer rim.
    4. The side buttons can fall off, arrange with care.
    5. Gently pull away PCB board from the left side to reveal 8 tiny screws that hold the back half to the sliding mounts of the front. Remove all 8.
    6. Note that you will not be removing the black ribbon cable. You're gonna have to deal with it.
    7. There are 3 screws in the back side of the screen panel, hidden by black sticky buttons. The sticky buttons remove easily with a razor blade or small screwdriver. Remove 3 screws beneath them.
    8. Remove Stylus
    9. Gently remove Faceplate with small flathead screwdriver around border. The number pad is likely to fall out. Don't worry. The Power button is also likely to fall out. Stay organized.
    10. The LCD screen is mounted to a rather thin PCB with double sided tape. Very Gently, you must separate the LCD from the PCB. I used a utility blade gently wedged between the two right around the screen, twisted slightly each time. Patience is a virtue.
    11. Ultimately, the lcd controller board is connected by a ribbon cable running through the middle of the PCB. On the back side of the PCB, you can flip the ribbon cable retainer clip towards yourself for easy lcd removal.
    12. As you can imagine, re-assembly is following my instructions in reverse. Take care to put all your buttons back into place.
    13. Take your time with this project. It is no walk in the park.

Chris

Comfortably Converged
    I have disassembled two 760's. You can detach the ribbon cable but it's tricky. The cable is plugged in but there are two tiny pieces of solder on each side of it holding it in. I just used a very very small flat head screwdriver and gently rubbed it across each piece of solder until they gave way.

Quote Originally Posted by sixftunda View Post
    I have disassembled two 760's.
    I'm curious: why?

I have taken mine apart to replace the lcd. It wasn't to bad, pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the instructions r00k! Very helpful.