+ Reply to Thread

Opera Mini 4 problems

I have searched this topic the best I can, and haven't found the cause to my problems. So maybe I'm an idiot and missing something but I would appreciate it if anyone could help me.

I have installed the esmertec java download as recommended, it was successful and shows up in my programs list. I initially tried to download opera mini 4 directly onto the i760 from their website but upon clicking on the link, it only reloads the same page and doesn't start the download. So, I downloaded 2 files to my pc from the site and transffered them to the i760. The 2 files were the generic mini 4 files: opera-mini-4.0.10031-advanced-int.jad & opera-mini-4.0.10031-advanced-int.jar .

I browsed to the documents folder and click on them, but nothing happens. For a moment the little multicolored wheel that lets you know something is happening appears but then vanishes. No message or anything, just back to the file folder.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm stumped.

i'm getting there

I found an alternative to the Java I saw elsewhere:

IBM MIDP 2.0 Java Emulator download for Windows Mobile PocketPC - Softpedia

I don't know what the difference is between that and the esmertec java, but this one did work for me. So, just letting people know in case anyone else is having the same problem.

Did you try soft reseting after installing esmertec's jbed app? And then try to install oMini?

Personally, I've never tried any other java midlet managers besides esmertec's, but from what I've read it seems to be generally regarded as the best.
    Last edited by a_lazy_dude; 01-11-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: dammit, i've always got at least one typo in every post... thank you edit feature

noob question but whats the difference between opera mini and mobile...

Quote Originally Posted by rh3522 View Post
    noob question but whats the difference between opera mini and mobile...
    there are many, many differences. The most important one: opera mini is a generation ahead of opera mobile... at least until opera mobile 9 comes out, whenever that is. Opera mini is not a native Windows Mobile app, so you need to jump through a lot of hoops to get it working, but once you do, man, words do not do justice to how awesome it is, especially in comparison to pocketIE. In my opinion, it's second only to the iPhone's safari browser, and very similar. In contrast, opera mobile is a native WinMo app; just install and go, but don't expect its UI to blow you away... it resembles an evolution of what pocketIE is (tabs, broader standards compliance).

To get Opera Mini working, I'm just going to go ahead and refer you to this thread. Read it in its entirety, because there are also tips for how to eliminate some of the (minor) annoyances associated with it.

thanks

the download in that thread worked. I don't know if i got a corrupted file or what the first time, but it works now. I like that midlet manager better than the ibm.

Have anyone heard of a web kit thats suppose to be like the iphone safari browser.