+ Reply to Thread

Hands-On with the Samsung SGH-i780 - CES 2008

I started with a Psion Organizer in 1987!

Bad Verizon, No Cookie!
    BOO!!

I don't like the screen size, don't like the keys.

The i780 is European-only, no 3G support in the US..... They can keep it over there.

I like my 760. I am not going to go to a "treo"/"blackjack"/"q" style phone. It's a full feature phone that works as a full pda or nothing.
    Touch Pro 2 - 6.1 Stock ROM - Verizon Wireless

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolsilver View Post
    BOO!!

The i780 is European-only, no 3G support in the US..... They can keep it over there.

I like my 760. I am not going to go to a "treo"/"blackjack"/"q" style phone. It's a full feature phone that works as a full pda or nothing.
    This is clearly, to me, an attempt to break into the Blackberry user's market. The style size and layout of the phone is quite similar. It looks like a sleek and nice design, for what it is, but I too would much prefer a touch screen enabled more PDA-centric phone. Hopefully there will be an equivalent i880 or i785 or something thats more near and dear to the style and capability we've come to love in the i7x0 series.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

for what it's worth, this is a touchscreen phone. WMExperts was just complaining that the pointer doesn't add much to a phone that already has a touch screen. "Let's set aside the fact that using a mouse on a touchscreen is sort of a silly idea in the first place, that it really doesn't add that much one-handability." Also, note the location of the start menu icon (top left), winmo 6 standard has it on the lower-left softkey. And hence their comparison to the treo series, which are touchscreen devices with full frontal keyboardity ... mmm, that almost sounds sexy, if it weren't so ugly

still, their omission of a true 5 way d-pad is totally lame. I find myself using the 5 way on the i730 quite a bit; I don't think i could live without one. Edit: unless they replaced it with a trackball....now that's a BB feature I would welcome
    Last edited by a_lazy_dude; 01-12-2008 at 02:42 AM.

if i wanted a blackjack 2 i would switch to at&t and get one.

Quote Originally Posted by coolsilver View Post
    BOO!!

It has a GSM frequency you can use with AT&T (which both it and Tmobile are locked to solely, just like in the case of the SGH-i760) which the last time I checked IS the US, and it has HSDPA which I believe IS 3G speed internet usable in the US (unlocked) but for a GSM. Besides that it has a built in GPS, WM6, WIFI, USB 2.0, 256 ROM and 128 RAM, 2 MP camera, Bluetooth 2.0, and all of the features of a prime PPC Phone Edition. I don't care for the screen size either, though it is nicely a touchscreen, but that thing is packed with goodness.
    Last edited by Dominick_7; 01-12-2008 at 10:11 AM.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

ummm....is this suppose to be an upgrade from the i760??? Cause it sure doesn't look/read as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    ummm....is this suppose to be an upgrade from the i760??? Cause it sure doesn't look/read as such.
    i760 has a 400 mhz processor
    i780 has a 624 mhs processor

i760 has Rev 0 EVDO as the fastest internet speed (I've seen described as DSLs little brother in a small bus)
    i780 has 3G HSPDA which is as fast or faster than cable, blazing fast

i760 has a 1mp camera
    i780 has a 2mp camera

i760 has 58 RAM 128 ROM
    i780 has 128 RAM 246 ROM

i760 has a two handed horizontal qwerty
    i780 has a one handed QWERTY (as far as I can tell) plus trackball control

i760 has no built in GSP receiver
    i780 has built in GPS receiver

i760 (I believe if I recall correctly) has USB 1
    i780 has USB 2.0

If THAT isn't an upgrade I don't know what is..many don't consider SCH-i730 to SCH-760 a real upgrade but with these two there is a real discernable difference isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick_7 View Post
    i780 has 3G HSPDA which is as fast or faster than cable, blazing fast
    This is a bit of an overstatement. HSDPA is fast, yes, but real throughput is typically well below 5Mbps and often in the T-1 speed range.

Plus, they removed the band that supports 3G UMTS/HSDPA in the US from the radio, so no 3G in the US (where many of this forum's participants are). Perhaps they could add it back in, but for the moment, it's missing.

Quote Originally Posted by a_lazy_dude View Post
    for what it's worth, this is a touchscreen phone. WMExperts was just complaining that the pointer doesn't add much to a phone that already has a touch screen. "Let's set aside the fact that using a mouse on a touchscreen is sort of a silly idea in the first place, that it really doesn't add that much one-handability."
    I completely agree with what you are saying and you prove a valid point but on the flip side of things, sometimes I wish there was a pointer so that i could drag and drop easier so i know exactly where my finger is pointing.

Still, they could have made it a dot instead of a big arrow.

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with WMExperts either. I think that in principle it would be cool to have a little mouse pointer to move around, because it could really enhance one hand usability. But, from the looks of it, their implementation of this idea was pretty crappy.

It's a BlackJack 2 with new internals, eehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post
    Not really. It's more of an upgraded i760 wearing a BlackJack's skin

Exactly....not really looking like an upgrade at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    This is a bit of an overstatement. HSDPA is fast, yes, but real throughput is typically well below 5Mbps and often in the T-1 speed range.

Plus, they removed the band that supports 3G UMTS/HSDPA in the US from the radio, so no 3G in the US (where many of this forum's participants are). Perhaps they could add it back in, but for the moment, it's missing.
    I've never personally use HSDPA but from what I've read it is 3G ad quite fast. I've played with our US EVDO Rev A and that thing smokes, so I was thinking it would be comparable. So are you saying that where Rev A EVDO can get around 4+ mbps HSDPA can only usually tend to get around 2-4 mbps? I didn't know they removed the US band for 3G..that sucks. So really the main differences would be the 624 mhz processor, its software upgrades including the capacity.

I don't personally want the phone myself, but I'm just saying there IS more to it than what is being pointed out/minimized from a techology standpoint. In contrast to the i760 it has a signifigantly faster processor (624 mhz vs 400mhz), internal GPS, much more capacity of ROM and RAM (128 and 64 or 58 is it can't remember, vs 256 and 5. Without the US band it's not much I agree, all I'm saying is apart from that I think some are UNDERstating the differences. I'm sure many would disagree (especially i760 owners) but I think that if the SCH-i760 had 3G soley at least, that at minimum would constitute it as a justifiable upgrade to some extent. If they removed the US band of 3G then it seems it COULD be put back, though God knows what theyd decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick_7 View Post
    I've never personally use HSDPA but from what I've read it is 3G ad quite fast. I've played with our US EVDO Rev A and that thing smokes, so I was thinking it would be comparable. So are you saying that where Rev A EVDO can get around 4+ mbps HSDPA can only usually tend to get around 2-4 mbps? I didn't know they removed the US band for 3G..that sucks. So really the main differences would be the 624 mhz processor, its software upgrades including the capacity.
    No, what I'm saying is that the speeds you normally see advertised for technologies are just about always the maximum you can get from a particular media. So if you've ever got a cell tower completely to yourself with minimum interference and distance, then you'll get the maximum values. I've tested my HSPA connections and seen test results that range from 1.5-5+Mbps (the tester couldn't keep up and I didn't have Opera installed to use the desktop version). Typically, I'm between 1-3 Mbps, which is (I expect) about what you'd see from Rev A as well if you averaged it out over different usage scenarios.

Don't get me wrong, my TyTNII kicks my i730's butt in performance and I'd never go back. You just don't see the maximum values hit all that often.

Now when UMTS LTE gets deployed, then we'll be talking about serious bandwidth (which is where Verizon appears to be headed as well)...

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    No, what I'm saying is that the speeds you normally see advertised for technologies are just about always the maximum you can get from a particular media. So if you've ever got a cell tower completely to yourself with minimum interference and distance, then you'll get the maximum values. I've tested my HSPA connections and seen test results that range from 1.5-5+Mbps (the tester couldn't keep up and I didn't have Opera installed to use the desktop version). Typically, I'm between 1-3 Mbps, which is (I expect) about what you'd see from Rev A as well if you averaged it out over different usage scenarios.

Don't get me wrong, my TyTNII kicks my i730's butt in performance and I'd never go back. You just don't see the maximum values hit all that often.

Now when UMTS LTE gets deployed, then we'll be talking about serious bandwidth (which is where Verizon appears to be headed as well)...

I hear what you're saying. I had a Rev A Card from Verizon to do a website launch party and when I had 3-4 bars of signal it was blazing fast..had to have been around 4-6 mbps...but when it had 1-2 which it had inside the place we were at, the very place I NEEDED it to perform well at... it was VERY slow..as slow as tar really. That's as far as my testing was of 3G but I could see it's potential and real time speed in good conditions. 1-3 mbps is fast enough for me especially going from EVDO Rev 0. Hey now that I think of it, do you know for sure if they REMOVED the USA band for 3G or if they just crippled it? I'm hoping to get the SGH-i760 which has HSDPA so I'm not planning on getting th i780 or anything, but I was wondering if it being unlocked would help the i780 at all? I haven't looked into UMTS LTE (especially since Verizon recently upgraded (all?) their towers to 3G now) what kind of speeds would that have?