+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone see the new HP Oak coming soon to Vodophone!!!!

Well I have to say the new HP Oak that is coming soon (September 200 stated release has got me excited. It might be the first time I actually want to move from Verizon!!!! Slim, WM6 Professional, Number pad on front, Full QWERTY keyboard..... not looking like I can find a fault in this phone yet!!!

Well isn't that just strange, HP actually made a phone that looks good.

Looks good..... Maybe I missed the camera?? Be nice if there was a 2 Megapixel camer for pictures and a less resolution front facing camera for video (aka Skype) chats. It says "bluetooth, usb" I wonder if that's usb over bluetooth or a separate connector. I also wonder if you'll be able to buy one in Europe and put a SIM card in it from a US GSM carrier.

How much different is it from the i760 to make you want to switch from Verizon.

There's no way I'd switch right now...... Better data network, phone is here and real.... But is a couple of years, if a GSM carrier comes up with viable broadband network with coverage similar to Verizon, I might look at it. I do travel from time to time and right now I have to rent phones. Be nice if the one I use here would work in Europe etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zfly99 View Post
    How much different is it from the i760 to make you want to switch from Verizon.
    It could be identical to the i760, and I'd still consider switching... VZW really ticks me off some times! But aren't VZW and Vodafone affiliated?

Yep - Vodafone owns 45% of VZW.

Eww...talk about a horrible looking device....what are they thinking putting the call and end call buttons where there are?

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Eww...talk about a horrible looking device....what are they thinking putting the call and end call buttons where there are?

I hope your being sarcastic!!!! As the green and red button are where they should be on the front of the phone. I think your looking at the green and red lights which are highlighting the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by ryncppr View Post
    I hope your being sarcastic!!!! As the green and red button are where they should be on the front of the phone. I think your looking at the green and red lights which are highlighting the buttons.
    umm...no...why would I be...look at it...the device that could already use a redesign....and it hasn't even come out yet. For one, most people are right handed, so it slides the wrong way. Two, it looks like something of the future...like out of some lame sci-fi movie or something. I'd much rather prefer something more practical. As far as the buttons....how is buried amongst the keypad "where they should be" maybe if the numpad was bigger yes, but with what they have now, you're going to be hitting the end button every time you go for the "4" key, which will result in having to start over with dialing the number...to me, that doesn't sound like that way things "should be." I'd say the i760 hit that one spot on....not near any buttons so you never accidentally hit the end button, but still where you don't straing your thumb trying to get to it...that's the combination you want to go for when placing those buttons.
    Last edited by Indie; 01-13-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Forever Confused
    I just don't get this number pad thing you guys keep hyping about. With VC and BT, you never even have to look at the phone. Let alone enter a number in.

Because not everyone uses an ear piece. It's a matter of preference. If you use one then great, choose a phone with more screen and no buttons.
    Feathered Access -
    Free Live Mobile Television
    http://featheredaccess.com

Quote Originally Posted by eldersoul View Post
    Because not everyone uses an ear piece. It's a matter of preference. If you use one then great, choose a phone with more screen and no buttons.
    +1

well said.

So does anyone know if this will work on the Verizon network if Vodaphone is affiliated with Verizon?

I'm positive it will not, at least not until VZW opens up their network (next year sometime?).

Are you saying that Verizon is doing to go to GSM or GSM and CDMA?? I can't imagine anything you could do to a CDMA network to get a GSM phone working.

Vodafone might own part of Verizon, but they are two different companies using two different technologies for their devices, let along Vodafone isn't in the US.

Any device that uses GSM technology can NOT be used on Verizon. Verizon is a CDMA technology company. But you say that Verizon is opening their network, well sort of. It isn't going to be open open, you won't be able to use GSM because it just won't work with the cell towers, however if you get a CDMA device in the future, then it "should" be allowed on the Verizon network, provided they will program the ESN in to their system.

So in the future, you will be able to bring over Sprint devices, because they are CDMA, and you might be able to import a few CDMA devices from Korea, as they have some CDMA devices there, but anything with GSM, you won't be able to use with Verizon.

Now if you got this device, and unlocked it from Vodafone, you could use it on T-Mobile and AT&T provided it had the correct GSM frequencies.... and provided you could get it unlocked from Vodafone's service.

Anyway, although this is pretty, the likelihood of having it in the US is VERY slim...

Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    Well isn't that just strange, HP actually made a phone that looks good.
    Hp more than likely doesn't even make the phone....just re-labels it.

Quote Originally Posted by akeeping View Post
    Are you saying that Verizon is doing to go to GSM or GSM and CDMA?? I can't imagine anything you could do to a CDMA network to get a GSM phone working.
    I forgot it was a GSM phone. I assumed the question was simply asking if the artificial restriction imposed by VZW could be removed.

But, yes, I have heard that VZW would move to GSM:
    FT.com / Companies / IT - Verizon set to begin trials of 4G network

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    I forgot it was a GSM phone. I assumed the question was simply asking if the artificial restriction imposed by VZW could be removed.

But, yes, I have heard that VZW would move to GSM:
    FT.com / Companies / IT - Verizon set to begin trials of 4G network
    And in the same article it says "4G networks are not expected to be deployed until well into the next decade." Although they may do a 4g GSM it's not something in the immediate future...