+ Reply to Thread

LOST CONTACTS AND CALENDAR!!!

I just expirenced my greatest fear, I lost all of my contacts and calendar dates. I had to format my PC then when I synced my i760 everything was lost. So, can anyone please advise me of a program to back up my contacts and calendar to my memory card? I prefer a free program, but it I have to pay for it I will, I just want to prevent this from happening again. Thanks.

I am a big fan of Spb products. I use Spb backup it works good for me.

Spb Software House

Get an Exchange account. It's the best way to ensure you don't lose that data.

In the alternative, since it sounds like you sync via Outlook, just backup your PST file.

+1 for an Exchange account. Especially after a contacts+calendar loss, a hosted Exchange account is a no brainer.

+2 for hosted exchange service. I used to use 4smartphone but have since moved on to mailstreet. It's a bit more expensive, (~ $26/month), but their customer service is much better. Also, I use SBP Back up.

Did you sign up for the Data Plan???? If so I highly recommend using Wirelesssync to back your calender and contacts up with. Probably isn't the best piece of software but everytime you change your contacts and calender it sends them to their database which will be saved forever.

Its nice to know when you have an issue with your phone and you need to hard reset your contacts and calender are in a safe place. Just install wirelesssync, go to the website online, setup an account and viola its there. No more worrying about losing your information.

An addendum to the last post: one big limitation to Wireless Sync is that their server only holds the last 30 days of calendar data, so when you sync wirelessly it erases anything older that 30 days ago from your device as well as your desktop Outlook.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I am going to try several of the options you have given.

Personally, I'd skip getting the Exchange account. It usually costs some money, and isn't particularly required. Instead, I'd look at using GMail, Yahoo Mail, MSN or something else to back up my contact data. All can import data from your computer somehow, and if you add a calendar reminder every once in a while, you can update it with a new import at your leisure. Then if you have an issue, you can export back from those services.

The Exchange option does have the advantage of being "always on," but it's by no means the only solution. For personal use, I'd use a backup app and something else.

spb backup
    Plaxo free edition
    g-mail
    Plaxo is great for getting a couple of computers to have all the contacts, just have to deal with duplicates with the free edition.

Live Mail is free, and it is basically a hosted Exchange account. There is a plugin for Outlook, and it will download everything to there.

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    Live Mail is free, and it is basically a hosted Exchange account. There is a plugin for Outlook, and it will download everything to there.
    The plug-in for Outlook cost about $59 per year FYI. It's Outlook Connector/Outlook Live.

Live Mail and Gmail and other web based email app's are OK but keep in mind that they won't integrate seamlessly into Pocket OL or other, (like Pocket Informant).

Odd - I tested it out in Windows Live Mail (the application), and it brought down everything. I assumed that it worked the same in Outlook with the HTTP mail service option. I didn't test it, though.

That said, you can do push mail to sync your i760, and use the Live Mail client to have a fat client. It's pretty much the same net result, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpacs View Post
    Live Mail and Gmail and other web based email app's are OK but keep in mind that they won't integrate seamlessly into Pocket OL or other, (like Pocket Informant).
    I thought that was exactly what Live Hotmail did?