+ Reply to Thread
    dtm

Unique data cable for tethering?

I signed up for the $15 tethering last week and tried today to get VZAcess manager to recognize my i760, but it couldn't find it...I connected using the extra USB cable that came with my desktop charger....do I need a different cable, or do I have a settings problem?
    DTM

In all likelyhood you have a settings problem. A synching cable (what you have) is the right one for tethering.

To tether via the $15 feature, you need TWO things: 1. The 1760 USB modem driver (usually on the access manager CD or on the vzam.net website) and 2. a modem handler. Access Manager is fine, or the standard windows modem handler for dialup connections is also fine.

Install the USB Modem Driver first, (otherwise modem handler won't find it) then if using acess manager make sure it is set for connection via pda (I gotta go look coz I usually just use the windows dialup instead) Oops, sorry vzam's not installed on my system rebuild, guess I didn't bother. Anyway, mouse around in the settings tabs, you'll figure it out.

Or just do as I did, set up a dialup conection, all you need to put in it is the phone number #777. Name and password are irrelevant, as they are stored in the phone and sent automatically upon authentication.

dtm
    Bingo, that did the trick. Thanks much.
    DTM

Or without paying for it, and without cables you can use the WiFi router:

Wifirouter on i760??

Check out the thread, and the updated posts towards the end (this is a stuck thread). You can tether over WiFi... it works great...

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Or without paying for it, and without cables you can use the WiFi router:

Wifirouter on i760??

Check out the thread, and the updated posts towards the end (this is a stuck thread). You can tether over WiFi... it works great...
    very simple and very sweet. thanks for hookup.
    Treo 650 -> Samsung i730 -> Samsung i760 -> Samsung Omnia i910
    Hillsdale College- educating for liberty w/o any fed. funding.

dtm
    Thanks, mrailing, for the info, but laptop has wifi, so don't need tetherig when wifi is present. But the wwan tethering works great now thanks again to feedback from this forum.
    DTM

Quote Originally Posted by dtm View Post
    Thanks, mrailing, for the info, but laptop has wifi, so don't need tetherig when wifi is present. But the wwan tethering works great now thanks again to feedback from this forum.
    The laptop only connects to the phone via wifi using this method. The phone still connects via a cellular connection. This is a great solution if you don't have a wifi signal available.

dtm
    Ah, got it, should have read the thread all the way through. Now, question is, does this solution provide the same upload/download speeds as the VZW paid tethering?
    DTM

I received decent speeds, but for the fact I won't have to carry a cable, and the fact that multiple connections "could" happen with this, makes this even better, and the fact I can "tether" any device with WiFi, makes the WiFi Router that much sweeter.

iPod Touch, connect. Xbox with WiFi, connect. Wii, connect... So the options are much more broad without a cable that can only connect to a PC, and you have to have the correct software loaded, either VZAccess or something to get it to tether....

Well, I pay the $15/mo tethering fee too but I agree that a wi-fi router ICS link for it's versatility would be sweet indeed. Glad to learn a 3rd party option for this exists. Wish it was VZW-blessed and built-in though. Click a connection option, configs the phone as a WiFI access point. Wouldn't it be NICE if Verizon put something like this in their ROMS?

But since this defeats the whole purpose of MNAI to reroute the data stream to another gateway (which is how they turn the $15 feature on and off) fat chance of that happening, as they pulled ICS via usb/BT PAN that Microsoft offers out of WM6 for that very purpose. Arrrghhh....
    Last edited by dima; 01-18-2008 at 12:44 PM.