+ Reply to Thread

Flash video and youtube question..

I read on a previous post that it is possible to view full youtube videos by installing TCPMP and FlashVideoPack. Well my problem is two-fold; I installed both to the device and still cannot view youtube… To compound the problem, pocket ie defaults to the youtube mobile site and does not even let me get to the full site. I installed the trial version of Opera and am able to view the full youtube site yet I am still unable to view it’s content. I get the error is “you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe’s Flash Player”.

In addition to Opera I have installed Adobe’s flashLite2_1_winmobile5_sp, spbPocketPlus4. I bought this phone just after Christmas and am thoroughly loving it. A few problems and questions I have had have been resolved through a search on this site and the experiences of others.

Any help from those more seasoned than I will be greatly appreciated, Thanks in Advance.

JR

When you download and install the FlashVideoBundle does it install a file in your programs menu called VIDEO SITES.

If so, click on this icon and it will open a IE Page that is basically on your harddrive. Once open this will give you several sites to visit including YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by ryncppr View Post
    When you download and install the FlashVideoBundle does it install a file in your programs menu called VIDEO SITES.

If so, click on this icon and it will open a IE Page that is basically on your harddrive. Once open this will give you several sites to visit including YouTube!
    Thanks for the reply and, Yes, it does install the Video Sites shortcut with the default set to open with Opera. But when I go to the 'full' youtube' site it still gives me the same error I posted above.

Not sure what version you are using, but I've got it running just fine on my i760 using the instructions from the 1st post on this thread over at TreoCentral:
    Full Youtube and Google Video access! - TreoCentral.com
    Last edited by Dorf; 01-15-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Well I'm not sure what did it, but I removed flashLite, Opera, TCPMP, and FlashVideoBundle then reinstalled TCPMP and FlashVideoBundle and it works now...

I may try to install Adobe's FlashLite program and see if that has any impact on anything.

Any ideas on how to get PIE to NOT go to the mobile version of web sites automatically? With Opera, there's a setting that automatically directs it to the desktop version of web pages, I have not found this setting in PIE...

thanks to all that helped..

JR

Quote Originally Posted by austin-c6 View Post
    Any ideas on how to get PIE to NOT go to the mobile version of web sites automatically? With Opera, there's a setting that automatically directs it to the desktop version of web pages, I have not found this setting in PIE...
    Well, that flash bundle program installs that "Video Sites" link in the Program list that will take you the non mobile sites of You Tube, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    Well, that flash bundle program installs that "Video Sites" link in the Program list that will take you the non mobile sites of You Tube, for example.
    Now that it works I'm not questioning how to get to youtube too much... but other sites that have mobile sites such as google, PIE automatically goes to the mobile site and not the full 'desktop' site. Maybe I'll just keep Opera loaded and PIE as the default browser; with opera I can set it to view the full 'regular' desktop version of web sites instead of the mobile ones.

thanks again,

JR

I feel stupid asking, but how do I get PIE as my default rather than Picsel? I have already unchecked the setting in Picsel. I even reset, unistalled TCPMP and flash bundle, then reinstalled them, and restarted all after unchecking the default browser option in picsel, but the stupid Video Sites keeps installing as a Picsel icon that opens in picsel.

I don't see a setting in PIE to make it my default. Nor do I see a file type associations menu. I'm hoping I'm just stupid here, but how do I make PIE my default so Video Sites will open IE and work rather than opening Picsel?

To anyone experiencing the same issue I described above, make sure you click "None" in the Picsel file associations menu. This will remove all but three of the associations, and should solve the issue. Merely unchecking the "Use as default browser" does not get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by austin-c6 View Post
    Now that it works I'm not questioning how to get to youtube too much... but other sites that have mobile sites such as google, PIE automatically goes to the mobile site and not the full 'desktop' site. Maybe I'll just keep Opera loaded and PIE as the default browser; with opera I can set it to view the full 'regular' desktop version of web sites instead of the mobile ones.

thanks again,

JR
    PIE Plus has a setting to have PIE identify itself as IE6 and you will go to the full desktop site. That's what I use.

I installed both of the above programs and am able to watch google videos but no youtube videos. It says "video not availible". I installed both programs twice and I still do not have a icon in my programs folder that links me to youtube or other vidoe sites. Any one else having this issue?

I'm not sure this question has been answered here, so please bare with me...I did this install just as recommended. If I go through Opera or Opera video sites, I get JavaScript turned off or old version so on so forth...

If I go through ie...works fine?

Any help on getting the opera browser to work for videos?

Many thanks from one noob that's trying to learn

edit to add: re-read the treo thread attached and missed the not compatible with opera part...
    Last edited by Tempe; 04-25-2008 at 08:10 AM.

so.. is there anyway to be able to stream from any site??? i've been using the flashbundle/tcpmp for a bit now... but that video site list isn't all that great.. there are many other sites out there i'd like to view...

most of them say "you need to install the most current flash version to watch this video"... yet any version of flash i install i get the same problem.. on every site (but those listed on the sites list..)

you can make a reg change to trick sites into thinking you have a full version of IE

Quote Originally Posted by soulblaze View Post
    you can make a reg change to trick sites into thinking you have a full version of IE
    care to elaborate?

anyone?

there has to be another way than just viewing the sites included in the bundle.... lets face it there are many more sites out there!

If you're trying to trick YouTube into thinking you have a full desktop version of IE so it'll show you the regular desktop version of the site instead of the mobile version, don't bother.

Instead, when it redirects you to the mobile version (m.youtube.com), scroll down to the bottom of the page. There's a link there to "view desktop version". Click on that and you're there.

or just bookmark
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/?nomobile=1
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Quote Originally Posted by slinkygn View Post
    If you're trying to trick YouTube into thinking you have a full desktop version of IE so it'll show you the regular desktop version of the site instead of the mobile version, don't bother.

Instead, when it redirects you to the mobile version (m.youtube.com), scroll down to the bottom of the page. There's a link there to "view desktop version". Click on that and you're there.
    youtube is already on the list of sites.. and works fine...

i'm just saying there are other sites out there other than the ones provided on the list that i would like to be able to watch videos from.

BUT when i go to these other sites.. i get an error telling me i need the newest flash player....

i've tried a couple diff flash player versions and still no luck..