+ Reply to Thread
    "...please try your call again..." crouton976's Avatar

shopping list freeware... yeah i know it's strange

i know this sounds weird, but hey, a PDA is supposed to help organize daily routines and tasks right? anyway, does anyone know of a freeware shopping list program that allows the user to create their list as say an excel file on their pc then import it into the program so that the items can then be checked off? this would be really useful because then you could create an "essentials" list for items you get everytime you go to the store on a pc (which would be faster than typing it up on the pda itself), but then you could add certain items for a particular trip from the pda while on the go. i know of programs that allow you to create your own list and save it, but you must do so from the pda which would take hours if you say had a family of 4 to shop for. another bonus would be to keep up with lists for multiple stores, as well as costs of items, but not neccesary.

so, has anyone heard of such a program?
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

No offense intended here but Google has heard of it. Have you heard of Google?

FreewarePPC.com - Freeware Pocket PC: Database: Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by mrpacs View Post
    No offense intended here but Google has heard of it. Have you heard of Google?

I'm glad we're not offending anyone.

mrpacs No offense intended here but Google has heard of it. Have you heard of Google?

Thank you forum nazi... unlike most, I do search the forums and search on google. As a matter of fact, google is my homepage, and on my igoogle page, i have pocketpcfreeware.net's tab of new programs that are listed everyday. I continually crawl that site and many others looking for new and better freeware for my device. try this for me... search this forum for "shopping list freeware". The only thread that shows up now is this one. So, I started a new thread last night. I felt completely justified in doing so. Now, there might be other terms I could have used that would produce better results, but I couldn't think of them. I've googled this term many times, but haven't found anything that comes close to what I'm looking for that runs on WM6, with the exception of a program called friday shopping, which from it's description sounds like what I want. But alas, the cab/exe installer cannot be found anywhere.

I know you're just trying to help and that you didn't mean any offense, but I DID get offended. It's not you that offended me, it's EVERYONE that always comes back with a sarcastic "did you search/google?" response. You are just the straw that broke the camel's back. If people would learn to be a bit more gentle with how they respond, then others wouldn't get upset. We don't want this forum to turn into HoFo do we? Those guys blast each other 6 ways from sunday, and what good does it do them? MRailing does the best job of politely telling users to search by saying " A quick search of the forum returned this...." and he doesn't get all smarta$$ with people. Kudos to Michael.

Sorry to vent and blow up at you, I've just had enough.... and I really DON'T mean to offend YOU with this rant... I know you were just trying to guide me in the right direction and not clutter the forum and that your sarcasm was jovial, not meant to be hurtful.

Seriously though, thanks for your help. I actually may have found one that will work from the link you provided.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

Handy Shopper 3 for PPC is the best of the free ones. As good or better then any commercial one too with the exception that there is not a desktop component, and development seems to have stopped a couple of years ago, so there are a few little quirks.

http://home.comcast.net/~chrisant/hs3/hs3ppc.htm

Don't be alarmed that it is called Alpha #3. This Alpha is better then most released commercial programs.

Now that I read through your entire post, I see that you really want a desktop component too. ListPro is pretty good, but not free. None of the free ones other then HS3 that I have tried have been worth what I paid for them......

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by crouton976 View Post
    Thank you forum nazi... unlike most, I do search the forums and search on google. As a matter of fact, google is my homepage, and on my igoogle page, i have pocketpcfreeware.net's tab of new programs that are listed everyday. I continually crawl that site and many others looking for new and better freeware for my device. try this for me... search this forum for "shopping list freeware". The only thread that shows up now is this one. So, I started a new thread last night. I felt completely justified in doing so. Now, there might be other terms I could have used that would produce better results, but I couldn't think of them. I've googled this term many times, but haven't found anything that comes close to what I'm looking for that runs on WM6, with the exception of a program called friday shopping, which from it's description sounds like what I want. But alas, the cab/exe installer cannot be found anywhere.

I know you're just trying to help and that you didn't mean any offense, but I DID get offended. It's not you that offended me, it's EVERYONE that always comes back with a sarcastic "did you search/google?" response. You are just the straw that broke the camel's back. If people would learn to be a bit more gentle with how they respond, then others wouldn't get upset. We don't want this forum to turn into HoFo do we? Those guys blast each other 6 ways from sunday, and what good does it do them? MRailing does the best job of politely telling users to search by saying " A quick search of the forum returned this...." and he doesn't get all smarta$$ with people. Kudos to Michael.

Sorry to vent and blow up at you, I've just had enough.... and I really DON'T mean to offend YOU with this rant... I know you were just trying to guide me in the right direction and not clutter the forum and that your sarcasm was jovial, not meant to be hurtful.

Seriously though, thanks for your help. I actually may have found one that will work from the link you provided.
    Most of this hubbub could have been avoided if you had stated in your original post that you had already Googled and searched. This would have helped anyone reading your post to know that you were trying to do it right. It is hard to tell sometimes just from the words in a post what the real situation is. And hey, I mean no offense either. Just trying to find ways we can be nicer to each other. After all, we are all techno-brothers. (And sisters, lest I inadvertently offend someone. )

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Most of this hubbub could have been avoided if you had stated in your original post that you had already Googled and searched. This would have helped anyone reading your post to know that you were trying to do it right. It is hard to tell sometimes just from the words in a post what the real situation is. And hey, I mean no offense either. Just trying to find ways we can be nicer to each other. After all, we are all techno-brothers. (And sisters, lest I inadvertently offend someone. )
    True. But, the flip side of that coin is that it really is sad that we assume someone hasn't searched just because they don't mention searching. We should assume that the person knows what they're doing and correct them if it's blatently obvious. However, that's not really what got to me. It was the sarcasm that made it offensive. Let's say that I was completely new to this site, and this was my first post. If someone blasts me, even in a joking sarcastic way, I might get upset and never come back. That is not what this forum is about. It's about helping others with their devices. If we chase them off, how can we help them? And you're right... there should definately be a sense of "family" here amongst us.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

Pocket breeze has a tasklist that can be checked off. I really like it. Its not free.

Quote Originally Posted by crouton976 View Post
    I really DON'T mean to offend YOU with this rant... I know you were just trying to guide me in the right direction and not clutter the forum and that your sarcasm was jovial, not meant to be hurtful.
    none taken. Just as you are sick and tired of "forum nazi's, (as am I), I, and others, are sick and tired of responding to the same questions asked over & over again or answers that can be found with a simple Google. I was trying to help you and be a bit sarcastic. I mean c'mon, if it takes me 3 seconds to do a Google search for you, couldn't you take 3 seconds to do the same search before posting your question? I try to help other's as much as MOST , (but not all), other's have helped me here and in other forums. I AM the anti-forum Nazi! Check my previous 300 posts - NONE of them are flame war material. I check in here daily to learn and to help. I don't want to get into a flame war with anyone. Peace.
    Last edited by mrpacs; 01-17-2008 at 05:47 PM.