+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Wallet Program -- Opinions?

Hi everyone,

I need to get a new digital wallet program for my laptop and i760. I'm looking at eWallet and spbWallet. Anyone have any thoughts on which one might be better? User experiences to share?

It looks like eWallet used to win the Pocket PC Mag awards in past years, but for 2007 spb is saying spbWallet won the award. They both seem pretty similar, so hopefully someone may have played with both and can offer their suggestion.

Thanks.

LT

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    I live and die by eWallet myself.

The only complaint I have is that I prefer to keep my fiancees info in the same wallet file as my own, but it's designed to have one wallet file per person. I keep them together anyway, but I can't have two subcategories with the same name. So I have a category at the root for her and one for me, but I can't have a category called "Websites" in both of them, instead I have to call one "Web sites" or "Websites_" etc, anything different than "Websites".

This one little issue is not a big enough deal to make me not use it though, and if you aren't going to have more than one persons stuff per wallet I doubt you'd even notice. It's become indispensable for me and I will bring it to every new PPC I move to in the future.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I also have been using eWallet for years.
    It syncs nicely with my PC and PPC.

I've been using eWallet since the version 1.x that came with my first iPaq.

I've really been happy with it and the PC and PPC versions work together extremely well.

Another happy eWallet user here. I have only 2 issues with it. The first is when you click a URL on the PC version, it launches IE, not your default browser (FireFox in my case). The other is moving cards around is more work than it should be. It doesn't support drag and drop or selection of multiple cards so you need to cut/paste each individual card if you're doing some re-organizing.

I love eWallet and have for years - desktop and pocketpc. (never tried spb) There is a new version out and it will have a web-locker type component now also.

eWallet for me as well, especially keeping a detailed password list...

Highly suggest it.

Another vote for eWallet. I have been using it for several years without complaint.

There are some new freeware wallets available that seem feature rich, but I haven't bothered with any of them since I have an eWallet license.

Alan

Thanks for all the eWallet love guys! We really appreciate it. A couple of quick comments.

Categories with the same names
    Yeah, we did that to avoid sync problems. I have it on the 6.1 list to see if we can change that though.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan_VI View Post
    The first is when you click a URL on the PC version, it launches IE, not your default browser (FireFox in my case).
    Just turn off Autopass globally and it should launch FireFox instead. AutoPass only works with IE right now so if you have it on it will always launch IE first.

The other is moving cards around is more work than it should be. It doesn't support drag and drop
    You can do this within the same wallet but not between wallets. If you can't drag and drop within the same wallet on desktop (and PPC for that matter) then something is wrong. Drop our support folks a line! support@iliumsoft.com or 888-632-5388

or selection of multiple cards so you need to cut/paste each individual card if you're doing some re-organizing.
    *sigh* Yeah....I REALLY want to see this get added soon. It was slated for 6.0 but I had to bump it when we took on the FlexWallet partnership. Hopefully in the next release!

Thanks again for all the kind words and always let us know if you have problems, comments, or ideas!

Marc Tassin
    Ilium Software
    --------------------
    marc@iliumsoft.com
    +1 (734) 973-9388
    ---------------------
    Pocket PC Software, Palm Software, Smartphone Software

And be sure check out our blog! Ilium Software Blog

I always appreciate a vendor coming here to discuss its product. Since you're here on an i760 forum, I will share a couple, the first of which I emailed to Ilium about in version 5 that still doesn't work on version 6.

1) When creating a new card or editing and old one, I cannot tab through the fields using the D-pad like you can in most programs. Instead it kicks you down to the tabs at the bottom. Means you have to use the stylus.

2) For password entry - the big friendly finger number buttons are great, but you still have to bring up the tiny keyboard for letter entry and use the stylus. It would be nice if there was a button, maybe where the "HINT" button is or a new one below the zero that would toggle between the numeric keyboard and a large, finger-friendly alpha keyboard. Would make my use much more convenient.

Otherwise, I've been using eWallet since it came on my iPaq 3670, and have bought upgrades since. As useful as anything on my PocketPC. I appreciate the new fields available in v.6.0 that were lacking before, always having to find places to cram things. It would also be nice if I could choose which fields show up on the card face, and which are in the Notes or Details areas. Also the ability to totally remove the Show/Hide password box which is just in the way if you don't want to use it. I guess that's 3) and 4). Sorry, just thought of those while I was typing.

Thank

Wow, this seems to be a pretty "eWallet-centric" crowd! Not a single spb Wallet user in the bunch, or at least not one who feels strongly enough about it to register an opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. Was strongly considering trying spbWallet, but given the responses it looks eWallet will be my choice.

LT

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar

New thread for eWallet wish list

For anyone that wants to post additional "wish list" items that you'd like to see added to eWallet, I've started this new thread:

eWallet Wish List
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Thumbs up

I've been using EWallet for years.

First used it on my Handspring Visor which was Palm OS.
    When I moved to WinMobile via Dell Axim x5, the Winmobile version converted over the palm version without loss of data.

Highly recommended.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

I switched from eWallet to FlexWallet about 4 months ago in order to get Blackberry support (wife has a BB). Now that FW is going away, I'm not sure what is happening with that. Ilium has said they are going to eventually pick up BB support, but I'm going to be mighty unhappy if that doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    1) When creating a new card or editing and old one, I cannot tab through the fields using the D-pad like you can in most programs. Instead it kicks you down to the tabs at the bottom. Means you have to use the stylus.
    I hear you. We keep improving one-handed navigation but there are still some things that really need to be tweaked and this is one of them. It's on "the list"!

2) For password entry - the big friendly finger number buttons are great, but you still have to bring up the tiny keyboard for letter entry and use the stylus. It would be nice if there was a button, maybe where the "HINT" button is or a new one below the zero that would toggle between the numeric keyboard and a large, finger-friendly alpha keyboard. Would make my use much more convenient.
    This one is tricky. What we're finding is that fewer and fewer devices are coming out that don't have a hardware keyboard and most users are making use of that keyboard for any sort of text entry. On the other hand, most of these hardware keyboards make it hard to type numbers + text combined. So the idea was an easy to punch numeric keyboard on top with the hardware keyboard to do text.

Now that's just an explanation...not an excuse. We've gotten this same request from many of FlexWallet users as well and we are looking at this as a possibility.

[quote]Otherwise, I've been using eWallet since it came on my iPaq 3670, and have bought upgrades since. As useful as anything on my PocketPC. I appreciate the new fields available in v.6.0 that were lacking before, always having to find places to cram things.[/quote}

Great!

It would also be nice if I could choose which fields show up on the card face, and which are in the Notes or Details areas.
    As part of our agreement with WebIS you will see a BIG change to templates in 6.1 (which is due out mid-year.) So I'm betting your wish (or something close to it) will be answered.

Also the ability to totally remove the Show/Hide password box which is just in the way if you don't want to use it. I guess that's 3) and 4). Sorry, just thought of those while I was typing.
    My thought is to handle it with a click on the hidden text. Click the hidden text...it appears. Click the showing text...it gets hidden. No button needed (or taking up space.)

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    I switched from eWallet to FlexWallet about 4 months ago in order to get Blackberry support (wife has a BB). Now that FW is going away, I'm not sure what is happening with that. Ilium has said they are going to eventually pick up BB support, but I'm going to be mighty unhappy if that doesn't happen.
    WebIS's BB FlexWallet will become eWallet over the course of the next few months. It will sync with the desktop version of eWallet. This isn't a maybe but a "for sure" so you don't need to worry.

Glad to hear - looking forward to it!

Again, thanks for coming to discuss your product and places for improvement on an already great piece of software. Glad to hear what's in the works. Two thoughts:

Re a screen-based keyboard:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilium Software View Post
    . . . We keep improving one-handed navigation but there are still some things that really need to be tweaked . . .

This one is tricky. What we're finding is that fewer and fewer devices are coming out that don't have a hardware keyboard and most users are making use of that keyboard for any sort of text entry. On the other hand, most of these hardware keyboards make it hard to type numbers + text combined. So the idea was an easy to punch numeric keyboard on top with the hardware keyboard to do text.
    I can see where that is a perfect solution for a device such as a treo. We certainly have hardware alpha keyboards on i760s. However, when I want to quickly check a password or number in a wallet, I don't want to have to slide out the keyboard - with the attendant change in screen orientation which can take a second, then type, then slide it back changing screen orientation again, to go on. Most HTC devices and other sliders will have the same issue. I can envision a way it would be unobtrusive, at least visually, to users of either type, with just a button to switch back and forth. Of course I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement or how memory intensive such a thing would be (I would guess 2.6 times more than the numeric keyboard)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilium Software View Post
    My thought is to handle it with a click on the hidden text. Click the hidden text...it appears. Click the showing text...it gets hidden. No button needed (or taking up space.)
    That would be an excellent solution. Then you could still select hide, remember, or show if you always wanted to see it. The issue for me has come up when trying to use that field which shows up on the front of the card for something too long to be displayed in its entirety with the show/hide box in the way.

eWallet user for a few years. Now using KeePass because it's free and because I prefer the idea of an open source security product of this kind.

Why does the "free" matter when I already own eWallet? So I can legally run it on as many PCs and PDAs as we have in the house and at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryx View Post
    Why does the "free" matter when I already own eWallet? So I can legally run it on as many PCs and PDAs as we have in the house and at the office.
    Actually, as long as you are the primary user, your eWallet license agreement already lets you do this legally. Buy a copy for desktop and you can install it to your home pc, your work pc, your laptop, and your U3 drive. No extra purchases needed.

Marc Tassin
    Ilium Software