+ Reply to Thread

Pocket IE and Full Internet?

Does anyone have the registry values that are supposed to be changed to make Pocket IE behave like full internet explorer? I found a registry change at Make PocketIE a full IE 6.0 at PocketpcTweaks.com but it is not working for me. It does not say anything about changing the desc key from Windows CE, I think that may be the problem but I do not know what it should be changed to and don’t want to change the registry unless I know what it is supposed to change to. Below are the new values, then the original ones.

Thanks,

JR

This will let your pocket internet explorer look like a normal desktop Internet Explorer 6.0
    This can help you access sites that require a certain internet explorer version.
    1) Open a registry editor
    2) Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\
    3) Change the default value to "Mozilla/4.0".
    4) Change the "Version" value to "MSIE 6.0".
    5) Change the "Platform" value to "Windows NT 5.0".
    6) Soft-reset

The default settings are:
    Mozilla/4.0
    compatible
    MSIE 4.01
    Windows CE

You read that wrong... That hack does not make PIE look like IE to you, But to the web sites you visit. This comes in handy when you try to access a site and it says you need Internet Explorer 6 + when you know it should show just fine.
    Feathered Access -
    Free Live Mobile Television
    http://featheredaccess.com

D'oh.... would you happen to know of any way to NOT let PIE go to the mobile version of websites? I get that with sites like yahoo that automatically default to their mobile version; even removing the 'm' doesn't do it either.

Thanks for the clarification..

JR

That is where that hack would come in handy. Now if you still have a problem you can try this too:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\5.0\User Agent\(Default) = "Mozilla/4.0" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)
    Defaults to "Mozilla/2.0" The application/version string:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Version = "MSIE 6.0" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

Defaults to "MSIE 4.01" The host operating system string:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Platform = "Windows NT 5.0" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

Defaults to "Windows CE" Please note that if you change the Platform string, PDA-friendly sites may stop sending you PDA-friendly content automatically. Leave this string set to "Windows CE" unless a site absolutely refuses to work, or you want the site to feed you its normal content.

That is from another site and I have never had need for it myself so I cannot vouch for its effectiveness on the i760.
    Feathered Access -
    Free Live Mobile Television
    http://featheredaccess.com

I can't say I really have a problem, but I simply want the full version of web pages instead of their mobile version. In Opera this can be changed in the settings, but I removed opera, I may install it again at a later date if I cannot get PIE to display "regular" web pages.

Thanks,

JR

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by austin-c6 View Post
    I can't say I really have a problem, but I simply want the full version of web pages instead of their mobile version. In Opera this can be changed in the settings, but I removed opera, I may install it again at a later date if I cannot get PIE to display "regular" web pages.

Thanks,

JR
    PIE Plus also has the option built in. I really like it better than Opera.

Interesting.... I'm doing a search for it now, if you happen to have a link for it, please post it here.

thanks,

JR

Quote Originally Posted by austin-c6 View Post
    Interesting.... I'm doing a search for it now, if you happen to have a link for it, please post it here.

thanks,

JR
    ReenSoft

PIEplus looks very intruiging. It would be worth it for the dragging & scrolling improvements alone. But is it compatible w/ WM6? It looks like the latest version is from Oct'06 and is for WM5.

Quote Originally Posted by northbank View Post
    PIEplus looks very intruiging. It would be worth it for the dragging & scrolling improvements alone. But is it compatible w/ WM6? It looks like the latest version is from Oct'06 and is for WM5.
    Works fine for my WM6. Drag & scroll work fine for me. There are a couple of options that aren't quite implemented for WM6 yet though. They say they are working on it.

For the price, it looks as though I have to try it.

I use and highly recommend PIE+ over Opera.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Works fine for my WM6. Drag & scroll work fine for me. There are a couple of options that aren't quite implemented for WM6 yet though. They say they are working on it.
    Do you know what those features are which don't work in WM6?

I was toying with the idea of Opera but there seems to be a fair amount of hassle getting that to work (with Java emulator or something?) so if PIE+ worked pretty well, I might just skip Opera.