+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry The criminals are increasing txt prices again

TXT message increase effective 2 March 08

Suit #1 - "Well gosh, we can't seem to get the number of people we want to sign up for *yet another* subscription service from us so that we can have a nice, steady, predictable income flow. What do we do?"

Suit #2 - "I know, we'll just keep increasing prices on individual text messages until people actually save money by signing up for a plan. That way we get their money whether they choose to send a text or not! Never mind that our costs for sending an actual txt message are negligible now that we've already built out the infrastructure."

Both - "BRILLIANT!!"

Increase only pertains to Verizon Wireless Customers without a Messaging Package

1. What is the Text Messaging rate increase?

Effective March 2, 2008, the price for sending Text messages to the U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico - as well as the price for receiving Text messages from anywhere - will increase from $0.15 to $0.20 per message.

2. I subscribe to a messaging package, will I be affected by the domestic Text Messaging rate increase?

No. Only customers who do not subscribe to a messaging package will be charged $0.20 per message to send or receive text messages to the U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico.

3. I subscribe to a messaging package, will I be affected by the International Text Messaging rate increase?

All customers, regardless of whether they subscribe to a messaging package or not, will be charged $0.20 per message for text messages received from customers of foreign wireless carriers (international text messages).

4. I subscribe to an IN Messaging package, will I be affected by the Text Messaging rate increase?

Customers who subscribe to an IN Messaging package will continue to receive the benefits associated with IN Messaging, and your IN Messaging package rates will not change. All text messages you receive from customers of foreign wireless carriers will increase from $0.15 per message to $0.20 per message.

5. Is there a Text Messaging increase for International Text Messages?

The price for sending International Text messages will remain the same at $0.25 per message. Effective March 2, 2008, the price for receiving Text messages from customers of foreign wireless carriers will increase from $0.15 to $0.20 per message.

6. Where can I find out more information on Messaging packages?

Please visit the IN Messaging information page for more information about IN Messaging.

7. What if I have an INpulse or EasyPay or other plan for which I prepay for service?

Your text messaging charges will not change.

8. I am a frequent text messaging user and am concerned about increased costs. Do you offer any messaging plans that will help me reduce my messaging costs?

If you use text messaging frequently, consider subscribing to one of our messaging packages. Our messaging packages start as low as $5 per month for 250 messages, which can be any combination of text, picture or video messages. Any additional messages that you send or receive in excess of that amount are billed at $0.10 per message. Other plans with more included messages are also available. For more information, see the IN Messaging information page.

9. What are the benefits of Verizon Wireless’ messaging packages?

Verizon Wireless offers 4 options which include domestic text, picture and video messages starting as low as $5 monthly access.

"...please try your call again..." crouton976's Avatar
    Does this mean that they are changing the terms of our contracts? And if so, does that mean if we don't agree to the terms, they have to let us out? And if so, does that mean that maybe if enough people threaten to leave, they might change their mind?
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by crouton976 View Post
    Does this mean that they are changing the terms of our contracts? And if so, does that mean if we don't agree to the terms, they have to let us out? And if so, does that mean that maybe if enough people threaten to leave, they might change their mind?
    Not very likely. AT&T is going up on theirs as well.

Well now that will make my 653 dollar phone bill 700 dollars I guess.

Seriously, though, I do believe that if we don't agree with the terms, then they do have to let us out of our contracts. So anyone wanting to jump ship should double check this, and if I'm right, they will have no ETF.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

no...the small print in the verizon terms and conditions states something to the effect that if they change the calling plan, you are not forced to acept the new plans. However, since you really didnt sign a contract stating that you will be paying for text messaging, then it is considered one of the "taxes and fees" that are subject to change. since they disclose that, then they are not violating the contract and there fore they will still charge the etf if you leave.
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

so get a plan and save money....gee...that was hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post

Cap'n Kirk: "That's just what they want us to do."

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Cap'n Kirk: "That's just what they want us to do."
    Hence why I'm with Verizon...they actually offer options that save me money.

the point is that some of us don't text enough to justify a plan. what we see happening slowly, inexorably, is the dastardly downward slide to the point where individual txt messages are a dollar or more, just to force people to use plans they don't really need.

why can't we set up more like the europeans. over there a text is part of your minutes, and it simply uses up minutes. since verizon sells me minutes in blocks of 700 or more, i have waaaaaaay too many minutes.

it just sticks in my craw for these companies (cable companies fall in here too) that force you to accept features and services you don't really want in order to get the ones you do want.

Quote Originally Posted by allgoodpeople View Post
    the point is that some of us don't text enough to justify a plan. what we see happening slowly, inexorably, is the dastardly downward slide to the point where individual txt messages are a dollar or more, just to force people to use plans they don't really need.

why can't we set up more like the europeans. over there a text is part of your minutes, and it simply uses up minutes. since verizon sells me minutes in blocks of 700 or more, i have waaaaaaay too many minutes.

it just sticks in my craw for these companies (cable companies fall in here too) that force you to accept features and services you don't really want in order to get the ones you do want.
    I hardly see a $5 text plan that you would use as something to get your panties in a bunch over....but to each their own I guess
    Last edited by Indie; 01-18-2008 at 07:29 PM.

okay, look everyone...the same thing happened years ago when a cell customer said, "holy crap...your making me pay $5 more for 900 mins? I have a plan thats $5 less and only get 100 mins and thats all I use." However, what happened? They got more minutes...then used the minutes!! Then people said, hey, thats not enough minutes, so the cell company upped the minutes, but kept the same prices...each party fanned the fire in turn..thats whats happening here...if you only use 1 or 2 messages...come on..is an extra 10 cents going to put you in the poor house? honestly...I really dont know anyone who has a cell phone that if they need text messaging, an extra 5 dollars for a package is going to break them. If anything, lower your minutes, save 10 bucks there and roll that into a package for text. It will be the same price, you wont get all pissed off about ind. message pricing and you will use less minutes...come one people...look at it from more than one angle...
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

@ pillagingjack:

well, that kinda stinks for people wanting to leave VZW with no ETF. Personally, I think their customer service is up to par. I don't believe that they are quite where they should be in terms of technology *cough*crippling phones*cough* and there are some features I feel are over priced *cough*data packages*cough* but all in all, the service itself is the best in my area in terms of reception, and every CSR I've dealt with has been very polite and easy to deal with, whether in the store or on the phone. However, why would they apply this method to text messages and not to data? you would think that people would be more inclined to get a data package if the price was less. That's why I honestly hope google wins the FCC auction for the c-block of the 700 mhz spectrum. Verizon has ruled with an iron fist far too long, and I feel as though they are JUST NOW realizing they need to change their policy in order to save face with new AND current customers, which is why they are embracing android, allowing foreign devices onto the network, etc. so that if they don't win the FCC auction, they will still be seen as a nice company that is willing to help their customers get what they want. Now, if they would just drop unlimited data to $10-15 per month, I'd be happy.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

I hardly see a $5 text plan that you would use as something to get your panties in a bunch over....but to each their own I guess
    Thats cuz you got the 19.00 dollar kiddie script plan.

Try having 4500 minutes PLAN
    International calling PLAN x3
    3 Line PLAN
    Data PLAN
    Tethering PLAN
    Insurance PLAN x3

Now I have to pay a txt PLAN?

Glad I have the SMS 2000 package.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax200 View Post

3 Line PLAN
    Data PLAN
    Tethering PLAN
    Insurance PLAN x3

No, you lower your minute package and have it be select instead of basic and then every line has UNL text and pic messaging..then have kids use that, since they most likely are already and save the minutes for yourself

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by madmax200 View Post

3 Line PLAN
    Data PLAN
    Tethering PLAN
    Insurance PLAN x3

$5 more is $5 more no matter what plan you got....and I have a $20 plan....huh, that's news to me...but I guess you'd be the one to know LOL...oh wait...no, you wouldn't know

txt plan

Call 611 (customer service) and tell them your IT department just switched to Exchange Server and now you need the "SMS2000 package" added to your phone. Its for corporate Microsoft Exchange to use SMS messaging to alert your phone that there is new mail available - which then causes your phone to go retrieve email. They do not charge for it if you have an unlimited data plan (or they didn't back 8-9 months ago when I added it). Since they cannot tell the origination of SMS messages, you basically get text messaging for free - up to 2000. Anyone else done this? I am using the Exchange Server SMS sync.