+ Reply to Thread

Finding Hardware Address on SCH-i760

Does anyone know how I would go about finding what my hardware address is?

Thanks

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    I presume by Hardware address you mean MAC address? (if you don't know, the answer is probably yes)
    If so, as if dialing a phone number enter #4357*
    As soon as you hit * a screen will come up with hardware info including your WiFi card's MAC address and much more.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find mine on the i760. It seems this version of WM6 doesn't provide that, at least not easily.

So I decided to let my device connect to a wifi access point which was able to list associated MAC addresses. I found the latest assocated MAC which was my i760, which BTW is 00.1d.25.0b.xx.xx

I'd very much like to know if there's a way to see the MAC on the device itself.

EDIT: Scratch that last bit! I was composing this post when sdittmar gave the amazing answer of hitting #4357*. That works perfectly!! (No idea how he found that)
    Last edited by northbank; 01-17-2008 at 11:45 PM.

This information is in the FAQ... Just as an FYI, so make sure you check out the stuff in the Yellow header at the top of the page

It's on the phone without dialing a number, too

Settings>>Connections > WiFi > Network Adapters > Samsung b/g WiFi Card
    MAC shows under "Use Specific IP address.
    Dialing the number is easier if you can remember it. I can't so I use the sequence above.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Settings>>Connections > WiFi > Network Adapters > Samsung b/g WiFi Card
    MAC shows under "Use Specific IP address.
    Dialing the number is easier if you can remember it. I can't so I use the sequence above.
    FYI. This is not true for my i760. That's where I looked expecting to find it, but the address I see there (fe80::21d:25ff:fe0) ain't my MAC address.

Quote Originally Posted by northbank View Post
    FYI. This is not true for my i760. That's where I looked expecting to find it, but the address I see there (fe80::21d:25ff:fe0) ain't my MAC address.
    Hmm--I have my router set to allow only certain MAC addresses. I used the address obtained from there and entered into my list of MACs to allow and it worked just fine.
    But--you're right, I do get a different number when I use the dial number. Maybe I'll delete the settings number from my router and try the one obtained by dialing the number and see if it works also.