+ Reply to Thread
    Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar

Condensing Today Plugins and Info

With Today screen real estate at a premium, I've been putting forth a little effort lately to try to condense the information on my today screen without actually getting rid of info. Does anyone have useful suggestions or hacks towards this end? Free suggestions are much preferred.

I found a slightly thinner version of the Wireless Today plugin and a way to slim up the Date plugin pretty well too, so far.

For those who may be interested:
    1) You can thin the Date plugin indirectly by installing an app like QuickMenu (free) that can put a battery meter in the corner of the task bar. Then you can replace the regular WM battery icon with date and time (with some short date format overriding in the registry), which allows you to remove the time from the Date plugin and make the date text 1 line in order to make the Date plugin thinner. And if you moved a link to alarms down into your tray with something like TrayLoader (free), at the bottom of the today screen you could even remove the Date plugin all together but still have all the same info (I havent done that last step yet). See attached pic for thinner date plugin and new battery value and date/time up in taskbar.

You can get QuickMenu here

I don't use the rest of PHM PowerToys just the TrayLoader within it. You have to install the full thing, then just copy the tray loader app somewhere else and uninstall PowerToys.

2) For the wireless plugin, you can create a new plugin in the registry that links to the MS today plugin "netui.dll" and use that instead of the Samsung version. The MS one is a bit thinner and they have behaved the same for me with just a slightly slower, but easily tolerable, lag on the MS one for WiFi status. (See attached pic for comparison)
    Just add the following to your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Wireless"]
    "DLL"="netui.dll"
    "Order"=dword:00000000
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000004
    Attached Images
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

I created a CAB file in the days of the i730 to combine the date with the time in the top bar, this in turn would allow you to remove the today screen date plugin and just have it in the top bar, so you might have a look at it:

[Registry Key FOUND] Replace battery icon with clock

Quote Originally Posted by sdittmar View Post
    With Today screen real estate at a premium, I've been putting forth a little effort lately to try to condense the information on my today screen without actually getting rid of info. Does anyone have useful suggestions or hacks towards this end? Free suggestions are much preferred.

I found a slightly thinner version of the Wireless Today plugin and a way to slim up the Date plugin pretty well too, so far.

For those who may be interested:
    1) You can thin the Date plugin indirectly by installing an app like QuickMenu (free) that can put a battery meter in the corner of the task bar. Then you can replace the regular WM battery icon with date and time (with some short date format overriding in the registry), which allows you to remove the time from the Date plugin and make the date text 1 line in order to make the Date plugin thinner. And if you moved a link to alarms down into your tray with something like TrayLoader (free), at the bottom of the today screen you could even remove the Date plugin all together but still have all the same info (I havent done that last step yet). See attached pic for thinner date plugin and new battery value and date/time up in taskbar.

You can get QuickMenu here

I don't use the rest of PHM PowerToys just the TrayLoader within it. You have to install the full thing, then just copy the tray loader app somewhere else and uninstall PowerToys.

2) For the wireless plugin, you can create a new plugin in the registry that links to the MS today plugin "netui.dll" and use that instead of the Samsung version. The MS one is a bit thinner and they have behaved the same for me with just a slightly slower, but easily tolerable, lag on the MS one for WiFi status. (See attached pic for comparison)
    Just add the following to your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Wireless"]
    "DLL"="netui.dll"
    "Order"=dword:00000000
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000004

Quick menu wiped my phone out. WARNING

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. Have to say, though, I haven't had a single issue with it since I installed it back in mid-January. Are you sure it was QuickMenu?
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.