+ Reply to Thread

i760 usb device not recognized

Hello, i just recently got the samsung sch-i760 pda phone and cannot get it to connect to my pc. Each time i plug the phone in, using the usb cable that came along with the phone, i would get a popup bubble saying "USB Device Not Recognized one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it." I've tried to connect the phone to my pc, my roommate's pc, and my brother's laptop (all of which runs win xp sp2) and all have yielded the same message. A friend of mine who also has the i760 is having the same issue. I've tried using his cable with my phone and my cable with his phone to connect to the same pcs/laptop. My phone is currently set to "`usb serial" in the as prog on the phone and the "enable advanced network functionality" in the usb to pc connection is unchecked. I've gone through many threads and different forums trying to find an answer and this is killing me! If anyone knows how to resolve this issue it'd be greatly appreciated.

Edit: oh and i dont know if it matters or not but i have the data connection set to Internal Data Call and only have the phone enabled leaving the wi-fi and bluetooth disabled
    Last edited by Canned_Air; 01-19-2008 at 10:56 AM.

We've discussed this many times already, please use the search function to find a current thread on the matter

Sounds to me like you need to install some drivers. I don't have the i-760 yet but if every windows computer you try gives you the same message, thats my guess. I believe there is a cd that comes with the phone so there should be some installation on there to install the drivers.

I am having the same issue, and yes I did search the i760 forum for the issue. All I could find is the person with the charger who had to reverse the wires. In my case, I'm just using the cable that came with the phone. it used to work find, then worked half the time, now will now synch at all, I get the same error of "USB Device Not Recognized "
    Any help is appreciated, it's very frustrating.
    Dan

I have basically the same problem as you. Every time I want to sync I need to do a soft reset of the phone for it to come up as recognized. I use the cradle I ordered from Verizon but am going to try a different one. I see you arent using a cradle but does doing a soft reset before you sync help?

Quote Originally Posted by Canned_Air View Post
    i have the data connection set to Internal Data Call and only have the phone enabled leaving the wi-fi and bluetooth disabled
    Internal Data Call is also what I have my data connection set to. I only change that when I use tether mode. I have BT on just fine.

With the included cable, I was playing around with the software and unchecked "advanced networking" in the USB connection, and at some point I had to choose `USB Serial as the connection. I remember that last step being important to getting it to work; but, I can't quite locate where I did that. Took more tweaking than expected, but got it to work.

Now, whever I dock, that's the dialog that comes up:

----------------
    Connect to:
    `USB Serial
    ----------------

If you see that, that is a good sign I think.

Hope that helps.

I have the same problem. I've also unchecked "advanced networking". My guess is that the main problem is a poorly designed connector on the handset and also a sloppy fit in the cradle. If I wiggle the pda around in the cradle, it sometimes gets recognized.