+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HTC Touch vs i760

So it sounds like in a few months, Verizon will definitely be releasing the HTC Touch. My NE2 will be active then, so I'd consider upgrading from my i760.

Verizon's XV6900 Touch, in all its shockingly white glory - Engadget Mobile
    HTC Touch (Unlocked) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Has anyone had the opportunity to own/play with both? Pros / Cons? I imagine this is a very small amount of people since the Touch is Sprint only and the i760 is VZW only.

On paper, the

HTC Touch Pros vs i760:
    -Shorter, Thinner, Lighter (though wider)
    -Camera
    -Re-programmable ROM

Cons vs i760
    -keyboard

What else am I missing? I have never been a keyboard fan and the i760 makes me hate the keyboard even more. The delay from portrait to landscape when using the keyboard is at times unbearable. And the i760 camera is pretty slow too. I guess I just wish I had a faster device. But I'll take the Touch if its the same speed as the i760, but smaller. Thoughts?
    Last edited by balefire; 01-22-2008 at 08:18 PM.
    i700/i730 geek since '03

I see you read cnet....well one phone made this list, the other didn't

Editors' top smartphones - CNET Reviews

Here I made an easy comparison chart for the two using PDAdb.net.

PDAcomparer | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, PNA & Smartphone Specifications

Now after looking at this comparison, I would have to say that the Samsung i760 is by far a better phone. Granted the Touch has more memory, and supports microSDHC but there is no Wireless, Keyboard, and the battery is smaller.

So I make this list

i760 Pros:

QWERY Keyboard
    Phone Keypad
    Wireless 802.11b/g
    Stereo Speaker

i760 Cons:

No customizations to ROM
    Less effective camera , but come on 1.3mp to 1.9mp - Not really much
    Smaller RAM Size

Touch Pros:

RAM Size
    Smaller in size
    Camera more effective, see above????
    microSDHC compatiable out of the box...probably up to 32gb when available

Touch Cons:

No Keyboard
    No Wireless
    Smaller Battery
    Mono Speaker, means horrible sound without headphones
    Did I say NO KEYBOARD!!!!
    And read the reviews, the touch screen keyboard it comes with is getting horrible ratings!!!!

Just my opinion!!!

I didn't do much digging, but it looks like the Touch uses mini-usb for sync/charge. That would be nice.
    -Duncan

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

HTC Touch (Sprint) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

I didn't realize the Sprint CDMA version did not have wifi whereas the world GSM unlocked version did. I imagine Verizon's CDMA will also have wifi disabled. That's a deal breaker for me.

It stinks that our CDMA radio makes the provider give up wifi on devices like the Touch and the Pearl.

I guess I'll hold my breath for the next latest and greatest. Touch Cruise?...
    Last edited by balefire; 01-23-2008 at 12:47 AM.
    i700/i730 geek since '03

According to Engadget's post it will also have GPS. Could be interesting, or Verizon could cripple it like they did with the blackberrys.

Quote Originally Posted by KINetics View Post
    According to Engadget's post it will also have GPS. Could be interesting, or Verizon could cripple it like they did with the blackberrys.
    THough the engadget report states it will have GPS I can guarantee this will not be a function used on Verizon's network. If for some reason it does come with GPS it will more and likely be stuck with Verizons Navigations software which costs $$$ a month.

The only thing that will be nice is that you will be able to put custom ROM's on it.

I just so badly want the HTC Tytn II to come to Verizon unfortunately this is only a GSM phone. If Verizon does not come out with any amazing phones by September I am jumping ship to ATT.

I live in South Florida and ATT has great coverage down here. Along with 3G fully functioning. I would hate to leave Verizon, but being into my phone as much as I am, their crippling of handsets is a huge turnoff for me.

Imo the touch is too teenie bopperish (childish looking).

Quote Originally Posted by celljunkie318 View Post
    Imo the touch is too teenie bopperish (childish looking).
    Exactly!!!! It is a horrible rendition of the iPhone or what HTC wanted the iPhone to be.

If I wanted the iPhone I would buy the new Voyager....

400mhz CPU vs a 200mhz cpu...

Quote Originally Posted by xtian63 View Post
    400mhz CPU vs a 200mhz cpu...

Actually the CDMA Version of the Touch is a 400mhz....

See my post above

Quote Originally Posted by ryncppr View Post
    Exactly!!!! It is a horrible rendition of the iPhone or what HTC wanted the iPhone to be.

Sorry but the Touch actually came out even before the iphone was announced. Granted when it first came out it was under the Elf name and only in Europe.

cYGONE
    i think the i760 is still the better phone, as evidenced by the still great reviews from users, in particular, users and editor on cnet. the 6900 has no wi-fi or keyboard. and what's with this white color. and if i wanted an iphone, i'd get an iphone instead of some wannabe. and i'd like a faster processor.

It depends on what your going to use it for!

I returned my xv 6800 because it was just to much pda/phone for what I really need. I plan on gettinng the Touch (unless a better CDMA phone comes out from verizon...which I highly doubt) just because after playing with sprints version it is just more phonelike. I like its portability and the fact I can still syn my calender, recieve my email, browse the web just as easy as with xv-6800. Since they have increased the size of their qwerty on screen keyboard it will be fine as I don't send text heavy emails anyway. Bottom line....what do you "need" and what do you "want". I760 would be better if your using your phone more like a cp vs getting the Touch with all the options, just not as robust. Keep in mind us Verizon users don't have a lot of choices. I want a lot of things, but I need their network as other carriers a choppy in my area. Again NEED vs. WANT!
    Last edited by CyChippy; 03-30-2008 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryncppr View Post

And yet the GSM version was released a few months before the iphone was announced under the name Elf. Same phone minus the Touch software and updated ram the new Touches come with.

I just returned my i760 for a Touch. If you can deal w/ no keyboard and wifi (you dont need wifi if you have unlimited data) the touch is a much better phone. Call quality & reception are much better in my area on the Touch. I had an old i730 before that I liked, but after going to a Q and back to an i760 there is no comparison. The call quality of the touch is about equal with the Q. The smaller profile is wonderful. Plus, the O/S has a built in task manager, and weather applications for once!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I just returned my i760 for a Touch. If you can deal w/ no keyboard and wifi (you dont need wifi if you have unlimited data) the touch is a much better phone. Call quality & reception are much better in my area on the Touch. I had an old i730 before that I liked, but after going to a Q and back to an i760 there is no comparison. The call quality of the touch is about equal with the Q. The smaller profile is wonderful. Plus, the O/S has a built in task manager, and weather applications for once!
    Sounds good. It's all what is important to YOU, the end user. I can't live without a KB for instance. I have no use for WiFi. You like the call quality and built in weather/task mgr. It's all good.

I am looking at this one
    HTC - Smart Mobility
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    (you dont need wifi if you have unlimited data)
    unless you want FAST connections

Quote Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
    I am looking at this one
    HTC - Smart Mobility
    Which provider is the Diamond going to be under??