+ Reply to Thread

No Voice Command w/ Plantronics Voyager 855?

Hi all,
    I just got a Plantronics Voyager 855 and can't seem to get Voice Command to work on it. It pairs just fine, and the partnership settings that I have are checks next to "Stereo Headset" and "Handsfree." Voice Command work just fine with a couple other BT headsets on the "Handsfree" setting (Jabra BT125 and Oakley Razrwire). I have deleted the other devices, so that should not be causing the issue. Anyone else encountering the same thing or have any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.

I have the Plantronics Discovery 665, and Voice Command works great on it. Just hold down the call button for 2 seconds and you hear the microphone sound.

I have the 855 and it works great. Same as platodd. Hold down big button for a second or two, here the low tone, another half-second and you hear the high-pitched VC tones and the microphone comes up on the screen. (Make sure you have system sounds on to hear the VC sounds).

Is your headset working at all, i.e., when paired can you make and receive calls without using voice command?

I have this problem as well. I can get the phone to redial via the headset by holding down the big button for a couple of seconds, but no voice command. Besides the button, the manual says opening the boom will activate VC. That doesn't work for me either. If I press the top right button (Windows/VC) on the phone I can get VC to activate and come through the headset, but I can't activate VC from the headset.

I called Plantronics support and am getting a replacement unit sent out. I like the headset overall, but it's not working as it should. Don't know if it's the phone or the headset at this point. I'm also hearing two beeps (beep pause beep) when I turn on the headset. I can't find any reference to this is the User's Manual for the headset, nor could Plantronics tech support tell me what that was.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    Is your headset working at all, i.e., when paired can you make and receive calls without using voice command?
    Yeah, music and voice calls work fine. Using yours and platodd's advice, I've been able to get it to work a couple of time. Nothing consistent though. I've had more success turning off the headset and redialing the last number than activated the voice command. I'm starting to think that I may have a defective headset? tward800, I think we are experiencing the exact same thing.

I had a little trouble getting used to my 855. Make sure you hold down the control button until you hear the faint beep. When I am driving, I can't always hear the beep so I just count to 4. Sometimes after the beep, you have to wait 2-3 seconds before you hear the 2 sounds from the phone that tell you VC is ready for a command.

Sometimes the 855 seems to be connected to the phone (I can hear the speaker) but VC won't respond. I can then press the VC button on the phone and the 855 takes over from there.

Occasionally the 855 seems to lose contact with the i760. I then power off/on the 855 look for the headset icon to reappear on the i760 and I am good to go again.

Also make sure your BT Settings have both "Handsfree" and "Stereo Headset" checked under the Partnership Settings.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Quote Originally Posted by tward800 View Post
    . . . I'm also hearing two beeps (beep pause beep) when I turn on the headset. I can't find any reference to this is the User's Manual for the headset, nor could Plantronics tech support tell me what that was.
    Mine does that. Not positive, but I think the first beep is just telling you that it has been powered on and the second beep telling you that it has established a connection with the phone.

When trying to do voice command, I let go of the button after hearing the first low beep. After that there is a pause, and then the higher pitched VC sounds. If I don't let go of the button after the first beep and keep holding it too long, it will power down.

Quote Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
    . . .
    Also make sure your BT Settings have both "Handsfree" and "Stereo Headset" checked under the Partnership Settings.
    Slightly OT, but I hate to start a new thread about it: I was noticing that I was not getting even a full day battery life out of the 855 even with less than an hour of calls and music. I expected the standby to last much longer. I did a test on a full charge and had it play looped music and ran for right at 6 hours. I finally realized that with the Stereo Headset profile enabled, it sends every sound from the phone to the headset, so it was constantly being accessed and used throughout the day for every beep, alarm, reminder, etc. I unchecked the "Stereo Headset" and voila, battery life is great - I only use it for music/video occasionally, so would prefer the battery life unless I specify otherwise.

The problem is that every time I turn the headset or bluetooth off and then back on, it automatically rechecks the "Stereo Headset" profile, and I have to go back in and uncheck it. (Don't know if this is related to the Bluetooth multiple devices sticky or not.) Is there any way to keep the Stereo Headset from rechecking itself? (It puts the music note in the headset symbol on the top bar).

Also, the "handsfree checkbox is now gone. It still works as a handsfree device when I uncheck "Stereo Headset" but no other profiles are shown. I've refeshed and nothing. Not sure it matters, but it is curious. Haven't tried repairing yet.