+ Reply to Thread

Calendar program to do this...

Hey, I'm wondering if someone can recommend a calendar app for me. There are a ton of 'em out there, and before I download (and potentially discard) a bunch of trials, here's what I am hoping to find:

My schedule is not the multiple meetings/contacts a day thing that most calendar apps are tailored to -- for me it boils down to where I am/what I am doing a full day at a time. Some of these days have a pattern (eg, every other week) and some are random. So the key issue for me is I'd like month views where each day can be colored to denote the task of that day, with different colors keyed to each item (for instance, days at location A are red, location B blue, etc).

Although there are of course the occasional timed tasks that would be nice to be able to enter and be reminded about.

And really I would like something simple and compact (most apps these days try to do a million things - and I'd like a calendar preferably without alot of extra bloat with it). But really, I'll take whatever will do my colored days thing.

Any suggestions? Tanx!
    Last edited by JE Spex; 01-24-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Thumbs up

Pocket Informant.com

I've used for quite awhile.
    Has all kinds of options but not bloatware.

Try the trial.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

I agree with Bud. I've used Pocket Informant for a couple years and every time I try something different it works. (i.e., calender views, reoccuring appointments, links between contacts and appointments.)
    www.861.info
    www.freedomtofascism.com

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.

So far in the interim I tried one of the Agendus versions. On quick eval it didn't seem to do what I was looking for... but more important I got 3 "problem encountered please tell Microsoft" messages in about 5 min, so that one went out.

Also tried "Supercalendar" from scarybear (which looks like its probably a one-man shop) and scrapped that one too.

Maybe I can play with P.I. over lunch. And isn't WebIS the outfit that has somebody on this forum? As somebody mentioned on another thread, that is a great thing, and a plus for them.

Pocket Informant is a great program. If your looking for options, trust me there is not a program out there with more....it has a gazillion. It is also, Intelisync (Wirelesssync) compatible which is great.

The only problem that I have with any calender program is setting up my work hours. I work 530pm to 5am, 4 days on 4 days off. Seems like when I try to set this time up it won't do it...

Try it out though, I purchased it a few months back, and recently upgraded to PI8 which has a scroll feature which is very nice too.

In Pocket Informant if you go to Menu/Tools&Settings/Settings then choose the tab that says "Calendar General" you can change the work Hours. I too like Pocket Informant, but if I end up using if for long periods of time my eyes just burn because it's like looking at .3 font size. Of course there's probably a font size option somewhere too.

Yep, looks like PI will work. And, uh, yeah there certainly are more than a few options!

But the thing I realized that will work for what I want, and probably other programs would do as well, is that I can assign an icon for a given task, and have that on the monthly calendar. And with the 'save template' ans 'assign from template' actions I can easily put the random days' schedules where they need to be.

And the contacts UI is very nice looking as well.

Thanks for the recs.