+ Reply to Thread

IMap on GMail working

Looks like they may have fixed the IMap issue w/ Gmail. I was just able to download emails w/ html no problems. Anyone else confirm?

jv

Been using it for while, what was the issue you were having?

I can confirm this. I just resetup my gmail IMAP last night and was surprised to see more than just the headers. Finally!

Any email w/ HTML in it was not getting downloaded. I would only get who it was from and nothing in the body..... Seems to be working great now !!!!

jv

Confirmed on mine as well - many blank headers in the past.
    Created new account setup (since deleted old one when it didn't work well) and all is good in gmail-town!

working for me too. I just had one question. I have tons of email in my inbox but on my phone i'm only showing the newest 2 pieces of mail. is this how it is supposed to be? I was under the impression that when using IMAP most of your mail shows up.

I just cleared my IMAP folders and re-synched and several "header-only" emails now include message bodies. I'm glad they got this resolved.

Seems to be working for me as well.

Now, this is the first non-Exchange e-mail account I've set up. I have it configured to download messages every 30 minutes. Is there any way to control the window it automatically checks? In ActiveSync you can define peak times and have the refresh rate set differently.

Quote Originally Posted by whtciv2k View Post
    working for me too. I just had one question. I have tons of email in my inbox but on my phone i'm only showing the newest 2 pieces of mail. is this how it is supposed to be? I was under the impression that when using IMAP most of your mail shows up.
    If you look in email options -> pg 4 of 4 -> options -> pg 2 of 3 there's a setting for "only display messages from the last __ days." by default this is set to 3; uncheck the option or change the # of days to download all your messages.

This is great news indeed. I assume we still can't get push access with it? I read that gmail supports it, but Pocket Outlook (or whatever it's called) doesn't support the protocol (IDLE or something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by eleazar View Post
    This is great news indeed. I assume we still can't get push access with it? I read that gmail supports it, but Pocket Outlook (or whatever it's called) doesn't support the protocol (IDLE or something like that).
    You can do a SORT OF push function. Just forward all your email to your TEXT message stream. Then you know messages are there, and you can activate a retrieval when you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by eleazar View Post
    I assume we still can't get push access with it?
    You can get free push email by running an app, like SEVEN on your phone. It's a pretty lightweight app, and it would save battery life versus polling your inbox every 15 minutes (assuming you average less than 96 emails per day). You still get your email through pIE.

I infinitely prefer this to a text message notification since it's seamless; no need to check a text and realize 1) crap, i still need to open my mail client to check the message or 2) crap, it's another worthless buy.com "deals" email or some such. or 3)crap, i just ran over my text messaging plan's monthly allowance. Also, I like keeping texts and emails seperate, as I see text messages as more urgent than an email (I suspect that this is true for most gmail users, since gmail is general not the email of choice for business users.)