+ Reply to Thread

Active Sync on the i760 (Corporate Email)

Getting my work email on the road is very important to me. I don't exactly hate this solution as it stands. WM6 is certainly more stable and reliable than WM5 on my Treo 700w.

But I am always on the lookout for a superior solution. I am aware of Goodlink (I used to work for them) and my company supports it but I don't like how much of a hog it is on memory and the i760 isn't supported by my Good at this time.

There are a few things that I wouldn't mind being different.

1) Preview Pane. I don't have a hard time reading small text on a mobile device and wouldn't mind the ability to preview messages without having to open them.

2) Store on memory card. I'd like to check the option to download all of my email but I don't want to suck down all of my memory. I see no option to store email on my micro SD.

3) GAL. I don't have the option of downloading the GAL (or so it seems). Not even part of it. Goodlink would give me instant access to the 300 most recent people that I have exchanged emails with that are in the GAL.

4) Security. My company requires that after an hour of inactivity, a password screen takes over and forces me to type in a pin to begin using my device. It isn't the biggest nightmare in the world but having to type in a password when I need to quickly access something is a pain. Is there a way to circumvent this without my IT department's knowledge? I don't want to go against the grain and I have great respect for IT departments but if there is a fix for this that won't stir up trouble, I'd love to hear it. There are no company secrets on my device and I have it secured on my person at all times.

For those of you considering the i760, I must say that this is without question the best PDA that I have ever owned and the phone is really good too.

Thanks in advance for you recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberrico View Post

3) GAL. I don't have the option of downloading the GAL (or so it seems). Not even part of it. Goodlink would give me instant access to the 300 most recent people that I have exchanged emails with that are in the GAL.
    2 of my friends are using goodlink right now and it seems to work fine. you should try giving it a shot.

I just talked to my buddies. they got the installer from this link https://get.good.com/
    Last edited by whtciv2k; 01-25-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Robert Tankersley
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberrico View Post
    Getting my work email on the road is very important to me. I don't exactly hate this solution as it stands. WM6 is certainly more stable and reliable than WM5 on my Treo 700w.

But I am always on the lookout for a superior solution. I am aware of Goodlink (I used to work for them) and my company supports it but I don't like how much of a hog it is on memory and the i760 isn't supported by my Good at this time.

There are a few things that I wouldn't mind being different.

1) Preview Pane. I don't have a hard time reading small text on a mobile device and wouldn't mind the ability to preview messages without having to open them.

2) Store on memory card. I'd like to check the option to download all of my email but I don't want to suck down all of my memory. I see no option to store email on my micro SD.

4) Security. My company requires that after an hour of inactivity, a password screen takes over and forces me to type in a pin to begin using my device. It isn't the biggest nightmare in the world but having to type in a password when I need to quickly access something is a pain. Is there a way to circumvent this without my IT department's knowledge? I don't want to go against the grain and I have great respect for IT departments but if there is a fix for this that won't stir up trouble, I'd love to hear it. There are no company secrets on my device and I have it secured on my person at all times.

For those of you considering the i760, I must say that this is without question the best PDA that I have ever owned and the phone is really good too.

Thanks in advance for you recommendations.
    Item 4. It worked for me, ymmv. Once the set up happened then the timeout for the pin can be reset on your device. I set mine for 12 hours and it has worked for me.

Settings --> Lock --> "prompt if unused for x"
    Robert Tankersley CDP

Quote Originally Posted by rtankersley View Post
    Item 4. It worked for me, ymmv. Once the set up happened then the timeout for the pin can be reset on your device. I set mine for 12 hours and it has worked for me.

Mine has a 1 hour limit on it. No option to go beyond that.

I might give Good a shot. I've installed quite a few games on this device so I am afraid to install such a big program but I will consider going back to my roots.

Quote Originally Posted by rtankersley View Post

How it *should* work is if they have the "Inactivity time" set to, lets say, 30 minutes, (that's what I am forcing down to my i760.) you can go in there and change it, but to a lower time, i.e. 15, 10, 5. Again, that's how it is acting on my device anyway. Maybe they have it set to 720 minutes? I dunno.

As for the GAL, maybe you found this already, but you can at least look up name/number/email from inside Contacts. Once inside of Contacts, click Menu -> Company Directory. From there you can search your GAL.

I wish pocket outlook would build that typeahead list of people you've emailed just like Outlook does, that would be super sweet.