+ Reply to Thread

why do people like comparing PPC's to iphones?

Why do people keep comparing ppc's to the iphone? I think they are 2 completely different classes of phones and shouldn't even be compared. I see the iphone as a media device and PPC's as... well... a small PC that I can do just about anything with.

...just a thought, heh.

I could not agree with you more. Don't get me wrong the UI is great on iPhone...all pretty and sexy but the phone has so many crippling effects its sick.

My biggest irk is the guys who buy a i760 or PPC then make it look like an iPhone. Yeah that original

I guess being in a business atmosphere its just weird seeing younger people buying PPC's since they were initially made for the business customer. Times change and so do devices.

I just can't wait till the upgrade for WM6 comes out. It will be much nicer....

Ouch, sounds like the beginning of a flame war. (joking) I have my opinion, but I hope I can share it without a who's better war. The two devices have their place in the market. Although, since the iphone is quite new, it is indeed more innovative than windows mobile O/S.

I love my i760 and samsung did a great job creating a reliable piece of hardware, but in reality it's the software that makes or breaks it for me. I've spent over 100 dollars customizing my ppc trying to make it do things that microsoft for some reason left out, and in reality it does kind of grudge me to see my friend buy an iphone and not really know a lick about technology, yet have such powerful tools available for free ie: webclips, triangulation for maps. There is just a lot left out to be desired with Windows Mobile, I think it's all down hill from here because microsoft and the whole handheld industry was caught with their pants down with the introduction of the iphone.

It's all about Windows Mobile 7 now, and I think there are some huge improvements coming. By then it will be a far more fair assessment to compare the iphone and PPC's.

Quote Originally Posted by toddman View Post
    ... I've spent over 100 dollars customizing my ppc trying to make it do things that microsoft for some reason left out,
    I bet you did the same thing to your home computer? Or was it exactly like you wanted it out of the box?

The whole point of having PPC is that you can add software that you need/want... and don't have to rely on the OS being full of bloat for feature and stuff you don't need/want.

That is something you can't do with the iPhone yet at least.

Curious what it is that you think they left out?

you're right that's what's great about PPC devices is that we have total control of how we want to customize it. But my point was more of where windows mobile is lacking in basic necessities. I shouldn't have to spends 20 dollars for software just because I want a snooze on my alarm clock. And I think the next version of windows mobile will include a lot of the features that we pay for now. But if your point is that microsoft's lack of basic innovations is okay because they've created an open system, that's fine, I just have higher expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by krelvin View Post
    I bet you did the same thing to your home computer? Or was it exactly like you wanted it out of the box?

The whole point of having PPC is that you can add software that you need/want... and don't have to rely on the OS being full of bloat for feature and stuff you don't need/want.

That is something you can't do with the iPhone yet at least.

Curious what it is that you think they left out?

Seems like a "great device without buttons" versus "great device with a boatload of buttons" comparison to me.

I like the buttons so far.

I love having the ability to use it both ways: non-iPhone-y with buttons (AEB+ anyone?) and iPhone-y without them (FTouchFlo, PocketCM and all the other enhanced touch stuff).

To me, it seems like a "what works better for what" as well as "what is your preference" discussion, not really a comparison.

because Apple has tried to classify the iPhone as a competitor of a PPC...and we have to continually inform them that it doesn't even come close.

its the smaller version of MAC OS and Windows...

the basic "mine is better that yours"

Quote Originally Posted by toddman View Post
    you're right that's what's great about PPC devices is that we have total control of how we want to customize it. But my point was more of where windows mobile is lacking in basic necessities. I shouldn't have to spends 20 dollars for software just because I want a snooze on my alarm clock. And I think the next version of windows mobile will include a lot of the features that we pay for now. But if your point is that microsoft's lack of basic innovations is okay because they've created an open system, that's fine, I just have higher expectations.
    Windows is a much more open platform, much more...and with that, there are many free programs out there that are often better alternatives than what people try to get you to buy. I don't know what your problem is with the alarm clock, cause it has a snooze option...sounds more like you are wasting money rather than spending it.

<2cents>I don't understand the schism between WM5/6 users and iPhone users....why can't we all just get along? I am sick of hearing WM5/6 users berate anyone that wants their WM5/6 phones to look and feel like an iPhone. Yes, we know PPC phones are more powerful than iPhones.....that's why we bought them. But we should all also agree by now that WM5/6 UI blows a big one. Yes, it's open. Yes, you can tweak it 6 ways to Sunday and add any programs you want to it. Problem is, you can spend hours and hours tweaking and customizing and it STILL won't hold a candle to the comprehensiveness and depth that is the iPhone's interface. Sure, you can skin your today screen, add touchflo or whatever touch based UI you want....but that just takes care of OPENING the programs....once you move one layer into the phone's interface, you still have crappy windows UI with crappy, tiny little windows scroll bars that you have to use a stylus for. There is something to be said for a UI that is comprehensive, that extends to all aspects of the phone and its function, and Apple has captured that quite well with the iPhone. Why wouldn't windows 5/6 users want that? It's like comparing a Ferrari (WM5/6) to a Mitsubishi Eclipse (the iPhone). Obviously the Ferrari is the stronger machine, except instead of looking and handling like a Ferrari, they threw the engine on a nondescript steel plank, gave it four wheels, and told you to steer it with vague grunts and sign language. Oh, you want a windshield? Gotta install it yourself. How about comfy seats and a dvd player in the back for the kids? Nope, do it yourself. Oh, and don't expect the windshield or the dvd player to match the rest of your car......

All I'm saying is, yes, WM5/6 good. But good UI good too, right?

</2cents>

Why do people keep asking if my MP3 player, or even my PPC phone, is an iPod or iPhone?

Obviously, ignorance. They are ignorant about what an iPod or iPhone really is compared to the rest of the world.

By extension, I have to wonder if it is those same people that are the main market for those products.

I just like reminding them that is does a lot more, and cost half as much

Yeah why compare small devices that both have touch screens, much more powerful cpus than a regular cell phones and both run a scaled down version of a PC OS, with web browsing, email, and media playing capabilities.

Yes nothing a like whatsoever...

All I can say is I have had both and the stability, battery life and more capable web browser of the iPhone more than make up for the "open" platform of windows mobile for my uses.

With the SDK coming in Feb. the iPhone will also have third party apps, so how could you not compare it at that point?

I like to look at technology from the observation deck. Hey itís great to choose sides and explain why youíre loyal to it, Goooo Rivalries! But step out from that position for one moment and look at it from the press box.

Dealing with technology my whole life, itís just awesome to witness something that no one in my field expected. A smart phone or whatever you want to call it taking 21% of the market in its first 6 months of its existence is incredible. Palm, Symbian and Linux devices altogether are way below that mark. And the iphone is just with one cell carrier. RIM still leads the market, then Windows Mobile.

So if youíre just into technology period, you should enjoy seeing it evolve in a non-bias standpoint. I deal with handheld devices everyday, along with macís and PCís, and like I said before, they coexist for different objectives, and they will continue to coexist because competing companies will keep borrowing ideas from each other, thatís just part of the evolution process with technology. I personally chose the I760 because it fits my needs, and while most of my coworkers would love to jump on the bandwagon and start trash talking each other because of "their" device, I think itís fair to say Hey it's technology and all of it is great if it works for you.

If the iPhone would have used the faster network, had a user replaceable battery, and would sync my outlook calendar, tasks, etc. with my WXP machine that's probably what I would have bought rather than the i760. I have learned a lot more since I got the i760 and I am going to stand pat with it until WM7 devices come out and are in use. At that time I will compare Apples and WMs and make the choice all over again.

I love my i760 and would also love to have an iPhone. I think there both great. I have never been one to pick one side or the other. Like desktop OS, i have been using linux in some flavor for years, PPC is the same way. It has done everything i have wanted for a long time. I have had many different PPCs, palms, mp3 players and alike. All of them i liked for different reasons. Its always good to keep up with the newest tech. Try everything!

On a side note i get allot of questions about my i760 when i pull it out. I tell people it does not work like this out of the box. If you want to customize, PPC is not for the faint of heart. The i760 is a very unique phone and works well. Once everyone has an iPod or iPhone we will all be alike. Why not be different. There are some people modding iPods and iPhones to do things they are not designed to do (hardware and software). Thats where the fun is!