+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SkyFire web browser... this is the on we have been waiting for.

Welcome to Skyfire!

Check out the site and sign up for the beta. Hopefully this will be out soon because it looks amazing... and it's completely free.

And no, I am not spamming like that Freestly guy.

EDIT: Here is the link to the youtube video on their site. Watch it and you will want it as bad as i do. YouTube - Skyfire Mobile Browser Demo
    Last edited by gorgalis; 01-28-2008 at 08:15 AM.

i signed up for the beta, but it's not out yet...

Quote Originally Posted by joshrys View Post
    i signed up for the beta, but it's not out yet...

I was disappointed when I first went to the site too... but hopefully soon to them means within the next week

signed up for the beta. see how long it takes to get the beta....

jv

i am not comfortable giving my phone number out like that. thats how sms spam starts.

haha, I agree with Tom... SMS spam & telemarketers would not be good.

However, this browser looks amazing. I am taking the risk. My i760 REALLY WANTS this browser.

Looks amazing. I hope it is legit.

Alan

I wonder if the NO Call list works for SMS and calls to a cellphone. Oh well I signed up too.

Quote Originally Posted by robgora View Post
    I wonder if the NO Call list works for SMS and calls to a cellphone. Oh well I signed up too.
    The Federal Trade Commission does allow cell phone users to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry — the same one already in force for landlines — either via the Web or by calling 1-888-382-1222.

SMS is not covered by the Do Not Call Registry, as it is not a "phone call". It is more like Email.

I signed up for the Beta, hope it doesn't crash our phones

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    This looks MUCH less appetizing when you realize that there is "server side magic" involved, which very likely means you are actually using their servers as a proxy service, not just browsing on your own. This means you'll probably pay a service fee once its out of beta, even if the browser software itself is free, and on top of that they can track and log your visits etc.

That also means you won't be able to get any encrypted sites through them.

Skyfire browser for Windows Mobile is game changing, does Flash - Engadget
    Last edited by sdittmar; 01-29-2008 at 01:00 AM.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Quote Originally Posted by sdittmar View Post
    This looks MUCH less appetizing when you realize that there is "server side magic" involved, which very likely means you are actually using their servers as a proxy service, not just browsing on your own. This means you'll probably pay a service fee once its out of beta, even if the browser software itself is free, and on top of that they can track and log your visits etc.

That also means you won't be able to get any encrypted sites through them.

Skyfire browser for Windows Mobile is game changing, does Flash - Engadget
    If you read their terms of service, you won't want to use it for encrypted sites. They claim they will save EVERYTHING. However, that also means it will probably be free because their business model is probably based on selling market trend data based on their customer's browsing habits.

Alan

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    Possibly, and that could result or be a predecessor of an ad based revenue also...so it could be they intend this as ad ware that will drop you an add based on your browsing in between every 10th page view or something like that... since you're going through their servers to get to sites, they can kind of do it however/whenever they would want.

Just hypothetical, but it seems more lucrative to tie what we see to what we look for, than just selling our browsing trends as a general population.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

I'm looking forward to comparing this to Opera Mini, which also does it's rendering server-side. I like the user interaction part of Opera Mini, although it doesn't render all the sites I view correctly and has some other shortcomings. It's great to at least have some choice of browsers!

Is there a browser that would let me view encrypted sites, such as my banks website? I don't actually have the i760 yet so I don't know if it would work with pocketIE.

Bad Verizon, No Cookie!
    Yes Pocket IE it will work with HTTPS enabled sites. Now Javascript and other code is the problem.
    Touch Pro 2 - 6.1 Stock ROM - Verizon Wireless

Perfect, so I can use PIE for banking and SkyFire for everything else.

Any update on the release date for this? Perhaps someone has some insider info?

Ed Hardy of Brighthand published a review on an early beta version:

Skyfire Mobile Web Browser Review

It rendered pages very fast. Handles youtube and google maps very well. Unfortunately, he didn't post any dates when the beta will be available.
    i760 VZW

Someone said on another forum that he was told tomorrow Feb.5 10am. No idea if that's reliable info.

I like that it's fast, does Flash & Java built-in, and does screen dragging (or whatever you wanna call that). But all that has to come with a price...

I don't like that it's basically a terminal services (proxy) model so my browsing is really happening on Skyfire's servers, and they therefore have total knowledge & control over what I'm browsing & typing.

It may be hard to remember not to use Skyfire for everything, not to use it for sensitive/encrypted sites.

Ahh... PDA/Smartphones are such perpetual trade-offs!