+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bluetooth Lock?

Bluetooth Lock?

Does anyone know of any free or paid bluetooth lock software?

ex: I walk away with my phone in my pocket and my PC locks. when I return the PC unlocks.

Bluetooth is not a secure protocol... would not be a wise program.

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    Why couldn't you have it automatically connect to a BT serial port (using the pairing password you give it to create an encrypted connection) then have the app on the other end of the serial connection talk to an app on your phone's end and authenticate itself using a private/public key pair?

I think I disagree that it would be impossible or ill-advised.

It might be a little ugly or possible intensive for your BT to constantly be looking for devices in range to notice that your phone came back in range, not sure if you'd see a hit on your other BT devices or even your CPU itself...but I dont think you'd want it to only search every minute or two, since you could come to your computer and have to sit there for that delay time before it would unlock for you.

Also, the range on BT can be a good 30 feet or so, which may be farther away than one would like to have to go before the computer locked for them (and would you trust that it actually locked and unlocked since you would probably be too far away to notice when it did or didn't)
    Last edited by sdittmar; 01-29-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Check out:

Salling Software - Salling Clicker for Windows

Sailing Clicker....

You can thank tange1 for that suggestion as he mentioned it to me back in March of 07, and it's still on my list of things I want to try out...

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Check out:

Salling Software - Salling Clicker for Windows

Sailing Clicker....

You can thank tange1 for that suggestion as he mentioned it to me back in March of 07, and it's still on my list of things I want to try out...
    Thanks a bunch! this gives me a good basis of comparison when trying other bt locking/unlocking software.