+ Reply to Thread

Can't Delete or Move Files

I'm probably missing something simple here, but I just can't figure it out so I've been forced to rely upon your guys' wisdom. Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere or if there's a better location for this thread.

For whatever reason, files I've used/opened/whatever I'm unable to delete or move, both on the phone itself and in Windows using ActiveSync. If I try to delete something on the phone or with the computer it gives the standard Windows "Cannot delete 'blah': Access is denied. Be certain that the file is not write-protected and is not currently in use." Well, it's not in use because I don't have any programs running (that I know of - a look at the Running Programs List in memory confirms this). As far as I know, there's no way to set files to read-only in Windows Mobile, and Windows XP refuses to let me change any properties, so that seems a dead-end as well. My guess is that the phone still thinks something is running/open for whatever reason, but I can't figure out why or what to do about it.

Anyone have ideas on what's going on and how to fix it? I'd like to be able to remove some stuff so I can maybe one day add other things.

Jon

What specific files are you trying to delete? Media? word docs? Have you tried opening a similar type file (not one you are trying to delete,) then tried to delete the initial one?

AVI and DOC files have caused me problems thus far. I did try opening other files and then trying to delete the ones I want to get rid of, but it seems that anything which has been opened is now "tainted" and unable to be moved/deleted.

Jon

Converged and Insane!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
    AVI and DOC files have caused me problems thus far. I did try opening other files and then trying to delete the ones I want to get rid of, but it seems that anything which has been opened is now "tainted" and unable to be moved/deleted.

Jon

Are they on an SD Card? If so, is the card locked?

They are on a SD card. How do I know if it's locked or not? Would that prevent me from adding new files to the card or just removing current ones? (Because I can add things fine.)

Jon

Converged and Insane!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
    They are on a SD card. How do I know if it's locked or not? Would that prevent me from adding new files to the card or just removing current ones? (Because I can add things fine.)

Jon

I don't think we have the ability to lock the card (using it by itself) unless perhaps the tab were broken off. I know the storage cards used for the i730 had this option and probably where my mindset was when I asked you the question. Are you using a 4GIG card? I know there are some issues (I experienced some) with using that size card and as a result, I have resorted to using the 2GIG. Defective storage card perhaps? That is possible.
    Last edited by GLP403b; 03-05-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Yeah, I'm using the 4 GB card. Sounds like I'm the only one who's had this problem... may try a hard reset and see if it helps any.

Jon

I have the same problem Jon

Jon, you are definitely NOT the only one having similar problem. It is REALLY STRANGE, but tech support at t-mobile (and reading other posts elsewhere also other providers) cannot resolve this issue. I also cannot delete anything, cannot do ActiveSync etc. When I hard-reset the device, then it works fine. BUT! - when I restore my data backup, the problem starts to appear again. Which means it is hidden somewhere in the "personal database", which is probably the only one part of the system, which I backed up (because of contacts). Or registry??! Dont know. Keep trying to find out more and let you know. Please do the same

Interesting... What kind of MicroSD card do you use?

Jon

Listen! This seems to be a work-around if you are using the 4GB card, probably due to the hack.

If you hard reset, I dont think you will accomplish much once you reload the hack file.

I have had the same problem when I try to load MP3's onto my storage card so here's what I do:

take the memory card out,
    pop it into the miniSD adapter
    pop it into my laptop,
    and then I'm free to drag and drop files using windows explorer

I know it's not the fix you're looking for, but you have to take the good with the bad when hacking electronics I guess....