+ Reply to Thread

Terrible Signal at Home

Verizon is excellent everywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area except in my home. It's not better when I go outside.

My wife seems to think that I am out of my mind as she claims to rarely miss calls but she also doesn't care if she misses calls and I don't want to miss business calls. She misses calls, she just doesn't care.

We both get one bar. Sometimes none, rarely two. What typically happens when I get a call is that the call will hit my phone, but it won't ring. It will go into voicemail and hopefully they will leave a message and not have their caller ID blocked so I can call them back.

I get about 1 out of 10 of my calls where the phone rings, I hit the send button to answer it and a connection is made before they hang up before it goes to VM.

I just got off the phone with Verizon and they told me exactly what I expected to hear on both counts. They said that I must be in a dead spot which I already knew because I have lived here for 9 years, 7 of which with VZW with 4 different phones. I also asked them about 3rd party products. I have seen quite a few of these advertised lately and I am getting mixed reviews of them. Of course VZW gave me the whole, "we don't support these products, blah blah".

Any suggestions?

*22899 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by bodean View Post
    *22899 maybe?
    What does that mean?

You dial *22899

Updates the phones software, and towers that it's using. I do it a few times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by bodean View Post
    You dial *22899

Updates the phones software, and towers that it's using. I do it a few times a week.
    It didn't improve my signal but thanks for the tip.

I have a similar issue with reception at home. To combat this, I forward calls to a landline when at home using a Phonealarm profile with forwarding. You can also do this manually by dialing *72 + area code + number to initiate forwarding and *73 to cancel forwarding.

Quote Originally Posted by icemilk View Post
    I have a similar issue with reception at home. To combat this, I forward calls to a landline when at home using a Phonealarm profile with forwarding. You can also do this manually by dialing *72 + area code + number to initiate forwarding and *73 to cancel forwarding.
    If I forward calls from my mobile to my home, does it charge me minutes?

Not sure about that one, sorry.

You might want to do a search on here for "slot cycle index." The instructions in that thread may help you catch more of your calls before they kick over to voicemail. Another thing you could do is call Verizon and have them extend the amount of time the phone should "ring" before voicemail kicks in.

Good luck.

The only way to fix it is ...

1.) Complain to VZ and pray they adjust their towers just for you.

OR

Buy a wilson antenna and plug it in and use the BT headphone in your house. Number 2 took me from NO bars to 4 bars.

No more problem.

Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

I use a cell phone booster in my house...

Wireless Extenders Cell Phone Booster (CingularVerizon) YX 500-CEL at TigerDirect.com

I used to consistently get 1 bar and now I get 3-4 bars. It has an antenna that you mount high in your house (I have mine in my attic). A coax run to the unit somewhere in the middle of the house covers the whole house. Works great! The advantage to this one is you don't have to plug the phone into it and it works for multiple phones in the house. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by KitchMD View Post
    I use a cell phone booster in my house...

Wireless Extenders Cell Phone Booster (CingularVerizon) YX 500-CEL at TigerDirect.com

I used to consistently get 1 bar and now I get 3-4 bars. It has an antenna that you mount high in your house (I have mine in my attic). A coax run to the unit somewhere in the middle of the house covers the whole house. Works great! The advantage to this one is you don't have to plug the phone into it and it works for multiple phones in the house. Hope this helps...
    Boosters are great, but expensive. I have one in my truck for trips. But something to consider is they pump microwaves into your body and everyone else in the house. Not very good for you.

I've decided to forward my calls. Working great. I was doing it the other way around where my office number forwarded to my cell. What I really need to do is subscribe to one of those services that allows me to use one number for everything and just forward my calls as needed or a service that forwards numbers from one to another easily through a web interface. Or I can just configure PhoneAlarm.

I am drawn to those devices that boost my signal but it sounds like a gamble. Maybe I will grab one in a couple of months.

Thanks all for your responses.