+ Reply to Thread

GPS: Noobe Setup Input Requested

Hi,

I'm thinking about adding gps capabilities to my i-760. I am new to this, so where do I start - I have never used gps device - therefore the questions.

Here are my questions:

Which gps device is recommended
    Which software - USA Highways and city streets is what I would use most -
    I do not have a data plan, so how does the gps connect to pinpoint my whereabouts?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teriau View Post
    Hi,

I'm thinking about adding gps capabilities to my i-760. I am new to this, so where do I start - I have never used gps device - therefore the questions.

Here are my questions:

I do not have a data plan, so how does the gps connect to pinpoint my whereabouts?

Thanks
    Im using the garmin bluetooth (newer more sensitve model) because I already had one. I installed the software and turned it on. Thats it, it works great. You cant beat garmin software.

Quote Originally Posted by teriau View Post
    Hi,

Here are my questions:

Thanks
    Check out this thread for some ideas

what-gps-software-do-you-recommend

As far as data, from my experience, Live Search and Google maps (both free) require a data connection to pull maps. You will no doubt need a GPS receiver and most will come with software. I think that a bundle will be your best bet. You'll end up choosing which maps you want to save to your device and your receiver once paired with your i760 will pinpoint your location. I'm using a Dell BT-309 (from my old device) and Ostia software and so far am happy with it.