+ Reply to Thread

Bad Idea to Get Rid of Charger Cover On The Bottom?

I am getting real annoyed by always having to pull the little cover strip away whenever I want to use a charger or cradle, and especially a cradle because it takes several times before the cradle will take it due to the bottom piece.

Would ripping it off create any issue with gunk or is it really sensitive and needs to be covered, I know on my old XV6700 it had a mini usb and never had a cover

Tom

It's the first thing I remove permanently after taking a new device outta the box. I've never had a problem without it on any device. BUT be very careful not to put your phone in the same pocket as your unwrapped chocolate bars.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Indiglow99 View Post
    I am getting real annoyed by always having to pull the little cover strip away whenever I want to use a charger or cradle, and especially a cradle because it takes several times before the cradle will take it due to the bottom piece.

Would ripping it off create any issue with gunk or is it really sensitive and needs to be covered, I know on my old XV6700 it had a mini usb and never had a cover

Tom
    You probably take the tags off mattresses too.

First thing I did was remove the covers on the dock port and the heasdet jack. They are just annoying bits of rubber, IMHO

Yoink! Off it goes!

Tom

The way it came out, is there any chance of replacing it, should one wish to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryx View Post
    The way it came out, is there any chance of replacing it, should one wish to do so?
    I replaced mine ok. Took a little patience, though. I don't understand the problem people are having with this cover. With my OEM dock I just swing the cover over to the side and the unit goes into the charger with no problems at all.

I've always found it a good idea to keep the phone's innards covered. You never know what might crawl in there.

I've always been interested in this as well as I have a hell of a time trying to open those covers. I now just use the top end of the stylus to pop those open.

I've grown to like the little cover. It's pretty well designed for my use. I don't use a cradle, though.

The covers are good to have in place if you ever drop your phone in a puddle, toilet or other body of water. I dropped mine in the toilet and was able to bring it back to life. I doubt that would have happened if the covers weren't in place.

I took mine off today...it's a hassle, seemed the connector wouldn't seat completely. I just yanked mine off, it stayed in one piece tho.

I don't see a major problem if I wanted to put it back on. It's just got like a little rubber 'bump' on the end keeping it in the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by skipster View Post
    First thing I did was remove the covers on the dock port and the heasdet jack. They are just annoying bits of rubber, IMHO
    Less weight for you to be carrying around.