+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User Donnie777's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-18-2005
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    99

    Cannot get email messages to leave Outbox

    I have searched the forum unsuccessfully for this answer although I know it is here somewhere. Sorry for the repeat but if anyone can direct me to the answer I will grateful.

    I have set up both personal email address and Hotmail to come into my device and can receive both of them perfectly. However, when I try to send an email, the message will not leave the Outbox on either of these accounts. I do not have a data plan with Verizon because I currently am not away from my desk often enough to warrant it, but shouldn't this work when I am hooked into a Wifi?

  2. #2
    Registered User MarineDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-21-2007
    Location
    Maple Shade, NJ
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie777 View Post
    I have searched the forum unsuccessfully for this answer although I know it is here somewhere. Sorry for the repeat but if anyone can direct me to the answer I will grateful.

    I have set up both personal email address and Hotmail to come into my device and can receive both of them perfectly. However, when I try to send an email, the message will not leave the Outbox on either of these accounts. I do not have a data plan with Verizon because I currently am not away from my desk often enough to warrant it, but shouldn't this work when I am hooked into a Wifi?
    Sending an e-mail is a two step process. After composing you can opt to send, however that will only queue it (sending it to the outbox.) You then must chose send/receive to actually send those messages. You can not send/receive while composing an e-mail.

  3. #3
    Registered User Donnie777's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-18-2005
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineDawg View Post
    Sending an e-mail is a two step process. After composing you can opt to send, however that will only queue it (sending it to the outbox.) You then must chose send/receive to actually send those messages. You can not send/receive while composing an e-mail.
    So I went back into the email client on the device and hit the Send/Receive option but neither of the email went. I was connected to my own WiFi at the time.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-28-2008
    Posts
    6
    what do you have set up as your outbound server? I had the same problem and Verizon had to set up a VZMAIL email address for me - worked fine after that. smtp.vzmail.net and the ID is your phone # @vzmail.net. I think you can also do it on-line somewhere on their site.

    Regards...; Steve

  5. #5
    Alchemist dfkimbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-30-2007
    Location
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Posts
    477
    Check with both your personal email provider and hotmail as to whether you have the ourgoing mail settings correct. Some email providers require an authenticated connection.
    -Duncan

    "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

  6. #6
    Registered User Donnie777's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-18-2005
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenfstein View Post
    what do you have set up as your outbound server? I had the same problem and Verizon had to set up a VZMAIL email address for me - worked fine after that. smtp.vzmail.net and the ID is your phone # @vzmail.net. I think you can also do it on-line somewhere on their site.

    Regards...; Steve
    Steve,

    My settings are exactly as you describe and still the email doesn't leave the outbox.

  7. #7
    Registered User Donnie777's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-18-2005
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    99
    I finally bit the bullet and called Verizon on this and after being shuttled around for 20 minutes was told that even though I can receive email when I am on Wifi, I cannot send out unless I have the smtp settings of the Wifi I am on. Setting up the outgoing SMTP for VZW will not work because that would require me to use the Verizon data services which I have blocked. So even though the WiFi is free, Verizon finds a way to force me have a data plan because it is improbable to expect to be able to change the SMTP settings to each and every public Wifi I access!!! I was able to prove that this worked by doing it on my own home Wifi and the emails left the outbox. Verizon also said, by the way, that they didn't understand how I was receiving email or getting onto the web since I had a datablock - so I am not altogether confident in the accuracy of their information.

    I have found a partial workaround since I can get on the internet on WiFi and that is:

    I can use my IE mobile browser (but not Picsel browser - why not?) to access the internet using free Wifi. Therefore I can access my Hotmail account and look at and send out emails

    However, while I can use my IE mobile browser (but not Picsel browser - why not?) to access my POP3 personal email account, I can only see the emails but cannot open them or reply to them. I contacted my email provider who said it had to be a function of the browser I was using on the phone. Does anyone have any answers for this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts