+ Reply to Thread

i760 WiFi international.... and Skype.

I'm going to the Netherlands for a trip, and am curious if my i760 will work on free WiFi networks over there. Do they use a different WiFi connection than us? Or is it the same, and I'll have no problem?

Also.. has any news come up concerning using SKYPE on the i760? I heard that running an old BETA version will work (SkypeForPocketPC-2.2.0.18-Beta.cab). Is this true? Or does the new version of Skype work on the i760? I'm getting my i760 in a few days, so I can't test now.

Thanks a lot for the help!

The i760 has both 802.11 B and G. These are the two most popular WiFi bands in the world. 802.11a, b, g, n, etc so on is an IEEE standard. As such, it has been adopted world wide.

My i760 is setting next to me connected to the 802.11g network in my Asan, Korea apartment. The wireless router is a Buffalo, which I bought in Taiwan. If I walk around in downtown Asan, the i760 will find many unsecured WiFi access points and connect to them.

I have frequently used the WiFi at Schipol Airport (AMS) with several computers.

Not only can you connect to free networks, you can also connect to secure WiFi networks using WEP, WPA, and 802.11x security.

By the way, unlike Western Europe, East Asia uses CDMA and my i760 connected automatically to the SK Telecom network here in Korea. It will also roam automatically in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.
    Last edited by Bugwart; 03-09-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugwart View Post
    Not only can you connect to free networks, you can also connect to secure WiFi networks using WEP, WPA, and 802.11x security.
    Do you mean you can connect to a secured WEP, WPA, and 802.11x router without a password? Or do you need the password to connect?

Anyone have any info on SKYPE?

I tested skype with my wifi and called a friend in India and it worked fine. The only downside is that his voice doesn't come through the headset but the speaker on the back, so it made it a little difficult to talk. Also, he said my voice sounded more like I was talking in a pop can. Besides that, it works and it was free.

by headset do you mean your phone speaker? or an actual plugged in head set? im using skype on my moto q right now, and it works flawlessly, with or without a headset plugged in.

i hope ill be able to use a head set with my i760 with skype!!

Quote Originally Posted by rusticovertones View Post
    Do you mean you can connect to a secured WEP, WPA, and 802.11x router without a password? Or do you need the password to connect?
    No, not any more than you can on a computer.
    You can set up the i760 to use a secured access point.
    If you could log on to a secured acces point without a network key, then it would not be very secure.