+ Reply to Thread

USB Charging with Desktop Charger

In the posts I found about the dock, people were talking about using the USB cable that came with the phone to connect it. The dock I just got today (OEM) came with a different USB cable with a mini USB plug similar to those on camera chargers. Is this a proprietary plug or can I find one that can power the phone? I only have the charger that came with the phone and would rather not have to use it for the dock.
    Last edited by mtyskow; 03-10-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtyskow View Post
    In the posts I found about the dock, people were talking about using the USB cable that came with the phone to connect it. The dock I just got today (OEM) came with a different USB cable with a mini USB plug similar to those on camera charges. Is this a proprietary plug or can I find one that can power the phone? I only have the charger that came with the phone and would rather not have to use it for the dock.
    The plug is indeed mini USB and the cable is data only. If you want to charge with the dock you will need to use the charger that came with the phone, or get another one to use with the dock. ppctechs has some combination charge / sync solutions that might interest you. Pocket PC Techs - Durable Screen Protector, Retractable Cable, Power Adapter Accessories, PDA Repairs, TouchScreen Repairs, LCD Repairs, RAM Upgrades, Memory Upgrades, Battery Upgrades for Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, Pocket PC Phone, Smartphone, Palm and select your device to see their options.

Thanks for the reply. Is only the cable data-only or is the actual port on the dock data-only? I'm trying to figure out if I could use an aftermarket USB-mini USB cable that supports power transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by mtyskow View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Is only the cable data-only or is the actual port on the dock data-only? I'm trying to figure out if I could use an aftermarket USB-mini USB cable that supports power transfer.
    Hmm. Dunno for sure. I think it's both the cable and the port as well that doesn't have the power pins.