+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Alquimista's SCH-i760: Apps and Registry Hacks

This is really just a thread where I'll keep updates on what I've tested on my i760. Mostly testing different apps and hacks.
    NOTE: Many apps or hacks have probably already been discussed elsewhere in this forum. If you are looking for something specific try searching the forums or google.
    Hardware:
    • Adata 4Gb micro SDHC Turbo from newegg for about $30. (using HTC SDHC hack that overwrites a couple dll's on the device)
    • Seido Rubberized case (both extended and standard)
    • Jabra 325s BT steareo headset.
    • I always use the extended battery that came w/the i760 (SWEETNESS!!)
    • 110v to 12v adapter (no need for an extra charger, can just plug in the adapter and pop in the car charger)

Phone Set Up:
    1. HARD RESET (Comparing out of the box vs a hard reset, I found that less onboard storage was taken up w/hard reset, and the phone ran better in general).
    2. After Minimal app instal, immediate backup to SDHC then Laptop. (Using SPB Backup)
    3. After each new app intsal/un-instal immediate backup to SDHC then laptop. (Using SPB Backup)

Apps I Keep:
    Paid -
    - Spb Plus
    - Spb Backup
    - CorePlayer (used from old MotoQ, WM5/smartphone app that works fine in WM6 even with land to port switching. Worth the money.)
    - IM+ (upgraded to the PPC edition, probably has a freeware alternative, but I already had it on my MotoQ)
    Free -
    - Google Gears Mobile (no idea how to use it, supposed to use API's on the PPC... will report back)
    - LiveSearch (free, MS I know, but it works well to see traffic)
    - PHM Registry Editor PPC (Does more than I'll ever need. BACKUP YOUR REG!!)
    - Total Commander PPC (There's a smartphone version as well, but PPC version rawks "File Explorer"s world, plus FTP access.)
    - Task Manager v2.9 by DotFred (replaces any other process/task/exe manager out there, may wind up being a bit bloated though...)
    Games -
    - Spb Brain Evolution (portrait only, but still fun)
    - ATH No Limit Texas Hold em (from old MotoQ - another smartphone/WM5 app that works in WM6 without a hitch, renderrs beter than on MotoQ as well)
    - Gem Box Gems (portrait only)
    Apps I Delete:

- Spb Clone (kept on crashing my phone when I tried to use it, $200 down the crapper)
    - Spb Diary (took up alot of memory and was really redundant with plug-ins already on phone)
    - Spb Phone Suite (combines a bunch of pre-existing today plug-ins)
    - Google Maps (free, but traffic info was less than stellar)
    - Spb Tips and Tricks (not really much to learn from it, plus all "tweaks" provided can be done via PHM reg editor)
    - Spb Mobile Shell (I just didn't find it all that useful)
    - Pocket Mechanic Pro (Meh, the ram cleaner is OK, but not worth the money)
    Apps Not Tested...Yet:
    - PocketNES (Trying to decide which one to go with)
    - PocketNester (Again, trying to decide on a NES emu)
    NOTE: I am leaning towards PocketNesterPlus (a version I have on my MotoQ) but I really would like to find something that's been updated within tha last 2 years or so.
    - PocketFlashlight (I remember seeing a freeware version on Qusers. I'm gonna try and find it! Basically, uses your camera flash as a flashlight.)
    Apps Not Ready (for me):
    - iContact (too many reports that it needs work)
    - Wake3 - webkit (ie iPhone like web browser) for WM PPC (not even in beta, so this may take a bit of waiting)
    - TouchFLO (too many exceptions to have to fix for now, on the fence for testing this one)
    Apps Not In My Interest (But maybe good 4 you):
    - S2U2 (nice looking, but star key "shortcut" works fine for me)
    - S2P (again, nice looking but coreplayer has lots o shortcuts)
    - RLToday (Lots o memory leaks reported by the developer, might as well wait for an update. Plus, I'd rather write my own tsk files. But you may like it.)
    - iFonz (Total clone of iPhone interface. A tad bloated. Looks great though. On the fence if I will test this one. Definately waiting for v1.0 though.)
    - cLaunch (tabbed today launcher, don't need it right now, also kinda ugly, probably test iFonz before this)
    - Google2Go (total memory *****)
    Registry Hacks:
    - (From FAQ) Samsung Clock plug-in as cause of memory leak & how to disable the clock (from the thread describing how much free RAM the i760 has by default):
    Free Ram size on the I760?
    - (from FAQ) Increase size of the right menu/soft key:
    Large right menu for fingers
    - (From an old reg edit on my MotoQ) Increase or Decrease ALL scroll bars size:
    1. Go to: HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GWE\
    2. Adjust the following values
    3. cyHScr : Horizontal Scrollbars
    4. Height in pixels (default is 13, I set it to 15)
    5. cxVScr : Vertical Scrollbars
    6. Width in pixels (default is 13, set it to 15)
    7. Soft-reset
    I wanted the bars to be bigger so I could touch em easier, but you may want them smaller to save screen realestate.
    That's all I got for now. I'll play around with making the start menu bigger (ie larger text and icons) as well as trying to write my own tsk files (I haven't cracked one open to see what its made of, but I'd like to write my own today screen setup).

More Apps n Hacks to come when I get the time. Wish me the balls to play around with the glyphcache.
    PEACE
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

how do you do registry hacks?

RegHax - 101

1. download "PHM Registry Editor (PPC) from:
    http://www.freewareppc.com

2. Install to device (not your sd card)
    3. Run the program by clicking on the icon now in your start menu or programs folder.
    4. Backup your entire registry to your sd card then your laptop.
    5. Now its time to explore the registry. Just look around and learn where everything is. Try not to change anything by accident. If you do change something by accident DO NOT RESET YOUR PHONE UNTIL YOU RESTORE YOUR REGISTRY FROM THE BACKUP YOU JUST MADE!!
    6. Now that you have played around with PHM REGISTRY EDITOR, and you understand how to use the program...right?? You should be able to find a registry entry when given the path. EX: hklm/system/software
    7. If you cannot fing that path by now, DO NOT edit anything. Get on to Google and search for the wiki on the Windows Registry. Read the whole thing. Make sure your questions are answered.
    8. Now you can go back and find the path given in the example. Once you can do that, everything should be crystal clear.
    9. To edit an actual registry entry with PHM REGISTRY EDITOR, just find the entry that you are looking for and cick on it (or press enter or the middle button on the dpad). A new screen will appear with the settings for that entry. Make the edit as described wherever you saw the hack. Then exit PHM and soft reset your phone.

That's all. Just be carefull and make sure you have researched enogh to know what NOT to edit. And always backup your registry (and phone if at all possible).

Be careful, but still have fun. Its just a phone, which you can always hard reset. Pain in the ass to learn that the hard way, but at least you learned something.

Best of luck with your regHax.

Unfortunately the pocket flashlight app does not work on the i760. That is unfortunate because I really really would like a program that turns the flash into a flashlight. It's the only think I miss from my old phone (other than T9).

Please let me know if you find an alternative.

ALQ!!

I'm replying to your thread because I love what you did with your first post. We used to have a lot of guys who really dug into their phones and posted some amazing helps and ideas. Alas, they have just about moved on completely which makes your posts very refreshing to me.

Keep up the GREAT work. I'll be watching.

CurtisZZZ
    CurtisZZZ

Thanks for all the great info - quick question.... I figured out the clock hack (I think) when I did the soft reset right after, it wasn't on but I got an error message that said "there was an error in loading the shell.exe" or something to that effect. Is that normal since the clock is disabled now?
    There are no stupid questions....just stupid people

Post Samsung Clock Fix No Reg Edit Needed

Cumadogg -
    You read my mind. I was just about to post a "NO RegEdit" way of disableing the samsung Clock today plugin. In short, the plug in that eats up extra memory as it is running, is the one that shows a digital clock on your today screen. You DO NOT need to edit any registry settings to get rid of this.
    NOTE: Before I start, I want to clear something up here. The bar at the top of the screen is referred to in two ways. In the sleestack's reghack it is referred to as the "Title Bar". The registry refers to this as the "TaskBar", which is both odd and kid of inccorect. To avoid any confusion I will call the bar at the top of the screen the "Top Bar", that way there's no reference to what it does, just where it is.
    How To Disable The Samsung Clock (and the memory leak) Without Editing The Registry-
    1. Go To -> Settings. In the first tab labeled "personal" click on the "Today" icon.
    2. There are three tabs here, "Appearance", "Items", and "Soft Key". Tap the "Items" tab and uncheck "Clock" in the list of "items" (which are really today screen plug-ins).
    3. Click "ok" in the upper right corner of your screen (its in the Top Bar where you see the signal strength etc)
    GEEKNOTE: I tested this by comparing the registry entries before and after unchecking the clock item in "Settings->Today->Items". Unchecking the "Clock" item, actually changes the registry entry given by sleestack's reghack, which is:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\Clock]
    to the required entry, which is:
    "Enabled"=dword:00000000
    Checking the clock item in "Settings->Today->Items", changes the entry to:
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    {or in PHM Reristry editor "1(0X000001)"}. Kinda neat.
    You're done....
    Unless you want to see the time on your today screen. For that, just check the "Date" item in your Today settings. This uses WM6's clock not samsung's plug-in. (checked the reg and it does not enable samsungs plug-in)

FYI-
    To show the time in the Top Bar in everything BUT the today screen.
    1. Go to Settings->(tap the "System" tab)->Click "Clock & Alarms"
    2 There are three tabs. "Time" - to set the time zone etc. "Alarms" - to set your alarms. and "More"
    3. Click the "More" tab.
    4. There's only one checkbox here and it says "Display the clock on the title bar in all programs". Check the box.

Now you're done.

Here's what you should see now.
    The Today screen shows the day, date, time and little alarm bell if you have an alarm set. THERE WILL BE NO CLOCK IN THE TOP BAR. A blank space will be right next to the battery monitor.
    If you followed the second set of directions, when you go into any other window the time will appear in the aforementioned blank space.

There, no reg edits needed. Yay me!
    GEEKNOTE: In case you are wondering what the checkbox in the "Clock & Alarms" settings does:
    It changes the registry entry in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Taskbar]
    to
    LimetedClock (which is a DWORD entry) to value 0(00000000)

You can tell whether something is a DWORD entry (in PHM RegEdit at least) by the icon before the name of the entry. It will be a little blue "D" on what looks like a torn piece of paper. DWORD means that the entry value will be in one of three types of formats (or "Base"): Binary, Decimal or Hexadecimal. If you don't know what those are, google for all three of them. You'll learn something cool.
    Peace
    Last edited by alquimista; 03-13-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: minor grammer nazi-ism

Red face Oops

Quote Originally Posted by cumadogg View Post
    Thanks for all the great info - quick question.... I figured out the clock hack (I think) when I did the soft reset right after, it wasn't on but I got an error message that said "there was an error in loading the shell.exe" or something to that effect. Is that normal since the clock is disabled now?
    In my haste to post the tutorial for the No RegEdit clock disable, I forgot to answer your question. The error you are getting has nothing to do with disableing the samsung plug in for the clock. The error you are getting has to do with whatever you did in the registry in this path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell]. In short, no that error is not normal.

I need to know what your did (exactly) for the registry entry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell]
    "ShowTitleBarClock"=DWORD:00000001

To be honest, I never did the second part of that reghack cause I couldn't find an entry for "ShowTitleBarClock". I didn't want to create one, because I didn't know if WM6 would know what "ShowTitleBarClock" meant. So I just left the Samsung clock off. I already had the Clock & Alarms "more" setting checked. Also, I have a watch on my wrist. SRSLY though, I rarely use my phone to check the time.

Let me know what you did in the Reg for the Shell path, so we can remedy the error.

wow - thanks for the info...... I saved a backup so if taking it off of the today screen does the same, i may reboot the factory settings and just take it off that way, cause to be honest, I'm not sure if I did it right. I tried to follow the instructions in the FAQ
    There are no stupid questions....just stupid people

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    I use claunch, and turned off all the tabs, etc and just use it as one row of apps I use frequently, and I really like it like that! My row is full, but there are not others I want on it right now.

Another free favorite is weather watcher. And, I use Viigo for news headlines, and like it pretty well as well.

nice thread alquimista... I used to have the Samsung clock on my i730 but I've turned it off on my i760 for obvious reasons... I also couldn't stand accidentally launching the Time Settings options. Well I just couldn't be without some kind of large clock on my screen, so now I use Kumar's Today'sTime, Zion Product
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Wink More Freeware Tested (attached NES EMU)

Quote Originally Posted by michele654 View Post
    I use claunch...
    Thanks for the tip on cLaunch Michele654.
    on to the goods..

More Freeware Tested -

The Good -
    • PocketToolmon2 (It can really play with your settings so you don't have to do reg edits, plus it has a sudo-systemtray icon and some other monitors)
    • PeekPocket (Oh so nice to not have an install. Just drop the executable in your windows folder. It is like netsumbler or any other wifi scanner, but its on your phone and it leaves next to no footprint)
    • PocketNesterPlus (I tried out some other NES emulators, but they just weren't as fast and steady. Also, there's no install, just drop the exe in yer windows folder. Only downer? It can be hard to find. So I'll attach a copy here for download!!)
    • ThemeGenCE (This is actually a desktop PC app. But it so totally rocks!! Its free and can make any color scheme you can dream up with BG pic or color. The original site is in Francais but you can DL the English version. However, do note that this app really only allows you to change colors and make basic changes to the usual WM6 shell. It is not like SBSH Facade, you can't fiddle about with launchers or make the Bottom Bar look like a pair of ( . )( . ) ies or anything. So, still looking for a way to build my own today plug-ins and have them be part of a tsk file.)

The "Installed but no idea how to use?!?!"
    1. Pocket Console (I think I can use this to play with the cmd line, but I can't figure out where the icon went that launches the darn thing. *I think its in the windows folder, but I haven't had time to create a lnk file in the start menu. Why do I want this? Because I'm a dork, thats why.)
    2. MortScript (K, so... installed it... found folder in the programs file... No clue how to run a script yet though? When, or if, I get it working, I can create scripts kinda like Batch scripts on a big boy PC, then I will own this PPCPhone's soul!!!)

The Maybe I Change My Mind -
    • TaskMng v2.9 (I dunno if I need this on my 760. I guess it doesn't hurt cause its a "no install" app, but I can't find much use for it since it won't free up RAM by the tap of a stylus. However, it is good for monitoring what is going on inside my 760. I can see the processes and the running programs and even what windows are open or can be opened from the current processes and programs. I can kill processes, but I really have no idea what process does what yet (well maybe a little). I wish there were a ProcX like app for PPC, that tells you what each process does or at least what DLL's a process uses.)
    • SPB Pocket Plus not free (The only reason I keep it around is the "safe boot" option. I have no use for the tiny ass tabs on the today plug in. I guess the battery monitor above the Top Bar is somewhat usefull.)
    • IM+ not free (I never use it. It eats up the battery if I leave it runnning in the background. I just txt or mms instead. Contemplating the uninstall... I'll let you know)

The "Wish List" -
    • Some sort of today plug in builder or at least to figure out what the "today" screen is written in, then I might be able to figure out how to code a cool one.
    • A real Java instal, not a virtual machine. (Not sure if this is even possible in WM6, never saw anything in WM5)
    • Better internet browser (PIE is a POS, but I don't really want to pay for Opera Mobil, and MS Deepfish is in private beta testing, and no one seems to have ported Mobil Safari to Windows Mobil yet. Oh, and that Wake3 thing isn't even in beta yet.)

Latest RegHax -
    Really more of a tweak for the time in the TopBar:
    • Open this path:
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell]
    • You will have to reate a new DWORD entry. Label/name it:
    • ShowTitleBarClock
    • then set the value for the entry to a decimal base value of:
    • 0X000001
    • If you are using PHM RegEdit, you can litterally set the value data field to 1.
    • Now create ANOTHER DWORD entry. Lable/Name it:
    • TBOpt
    • then set the value for the entry to a decimal base value of:
    • 0X000001
    • If you are using PHM RegEdit, you can litterally set the value data field to 1.
    With those two newly created entries, you will see the time in the TopBar when viewing the today screen. However, the time will take place of your standard battery indicator, but you weren't using that anyway.
    If anyone cares, the new place I found with some interesting freeware for PPCphones is:
    PocketPCFreeware
    The old stand by is:
    FreewarePPC.com

In my next post I'll go over how to set up PoketNesterPlus. (See attached file)
    Attached Files

Red face PocketNesterPlus+I760=NoWorky

Ok, so I started testing PocketNesterPlus and I found out some good things and some bad things.
    1. I can neither run the ROMS nor the app itself from an SDHC memory card. I tried all three combos (app on card and roms on card, app on phone and roms on card, app on phone roms on phone)
    2. The key config on the I760 changes everytime you open or close your phone, at least in PocketNesterPlus. Which lead me to research the keycodes for the I760.
    3. I found a 500 page user's manual for the I760's 32bit microcontroller (the S3C2440A), while trying to figure out what to do about the key codes. its a 2.6Mb PDF. And I got the link while surfing on my phone so I didn't catch the link. I'll post a megashare (no wait times and no download limit) when I get the chance. I'll put it in a new thread though so its easy to find.
    In short, I don't see PocketNesterPlus as a viable NES emu for the I760. The keycodes changeing really clinches that. Plus some of the settings windows don't display fully and you can't scroll down.

On to another emulator. Suggestions?

SCHi-760 Microcontroller Manual

I've already posted this as a separate thread, but I wanted a copy here so I could keep track of what I'm doing to my phone.
    ---------------------------------------------
    If you click on the "about" icon in settings, you will see that the processor for the SCH-i760 = ARM920T S3C2440. I Googled until I was pretty sure that I had the most up to date and official Samsung User Manual for the i760's microcontroller (aka the S3C2440A).

The full title of the document is:

"S3C2440A
    32-BIT CMOS
    MICROCONTROLLER
    USER'S MANUAL
    Revision 1"

Here's the DL link:
    MegaShare.com Free Webhosting
    The Password is:
    schi760
    **I used megashare because I despise rapidshare. Also, I couldn't attach the PDF to this post because its bigger than the allowed size for attachements.

If you have any problems downloading please post your problem. I'll be watching this thread and if anything comes up I can always throw up some more links and some mirrors.

Geeknotes: This microcontroller has been around since 2004 (I found some preliminary white papers on it in my searches). Its also used in a few GPS handheld devices. Last but most Geektastic, there are alot of developement kits out there for this processor that use linux!!

If you love assembly code, this is the document you have been waiting for.

Enjoy,
    Alquimista

Question I think i missed something!

First of all, great thread, Alchemist !!
    Next, on to my question/confusion... You posted instructions about the clock repeated in part here:

Quote Originally Posted by alquimista View Post
    How To Disable The Samsung Clock (and the memory leak) Without Editing The Registry-
    1. Go To -> Settings. In the first tab labeled "personal" click on the "Today" icon.
    2. There are three tabs here, "Appearance", "Items", and "Soft Key". Tap the "Items" tab and uncheck "Clock" in the list of "items" (which are really today screen plug-ins).
    3. Click "ok" in the upper right corner of your screen (its in the Top Bar where you see the signal strength etc)
    GEEKNOTE: I tested this by comparing the registry entries before and after unchecking the clock item in "Settings->Today->Items". Unchecking the "Clock" item, actually changes the registry entry given by sleestack's reghack, which is:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\Clock]
    to the required entry, which is:
    "Enabled"=dword:00000000
    Checking the clock item in "Settings->Today->Items", changes the entry to:
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    {or in PHM Reristry editor "1(0X000001)"}. Kinda neat.
    You're done....
    Unless you want to see the time on your today screen. For that, just check the "Date" item in your Today settings. This uses WM6's clock not samsung's plug-in. (checked the reg and it does not enable samsungs plug-in)

FYI-
    To show the time in the Top Bar in everything BUT the today screen.
    1. Go to Settings->(tap the "System" tab)->Click "Clock & Alarms"
    2 There are three tabs. "Time" - to set the time zone etc. "Alarms" - to set your alarms. and "More"
    3. Click the "More" tab.
    4. There's only one checkbox here and it says "Display the clock on the title bar in all programs". Check the box.

Now you're done.

Here's what you should see now.
    The Today screen shows the day, date, time and little alarm bell if you have an alarm set. THERE WILL BE NO CLOCK IN THE TOP BAR. A blank space will be right next to the battery monitor.
    If you followed the second set of directions, when you go into any other window the time will appear in the aforementioned blank space.

There, no reg edits needed. Yay me!
    So, even tho i dont own a wristwatch (unlike you) i followed these instructions, just for fun. My confusion is where u say: "Here's what you should see now." Unlike you, I no longer see the day, date, or time on the Today screen. Given what i just had done, i didnt really expect to. Maybe u still have all this becuz u are using Spb or some other program that i am not???
    I do have the time on the "top bar" in other applications, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ste_bran View Post
    First of all, great thread, Alchemist !!
    Next, on to my question/confusion...
    {edit for space}
    So, even tho i dont own a wristwatch (unlike you) i followed these instructions, just for fun. My confusion is where u say: "Here's what you should see now." Unlike you, I no longer see the day, date, or time on the Today screen. Given what i just had done, i didnt really expect to. Maybe u still have all this becuz u are using Spb or some other program that i am not???
    I do have the time on the "top bar" in other applications, of course.
    Thanks for the kudos. As for your question/confusion, I can see how this part could easily be overlooked. I should have set it out with the rest of the bullet points.
    Here's the part may have missed this part:
    You're done....
    I bolded the part that I think you missed. Essentially, its the DATE plug in for your today screen. Its all small and kinda sucks though.

I reccomend "Pocket Digital Clock v1.0.1", its free and small. It won't slow your i760 down at all and it looks pretty cool.
    LINK: Pocket Digital Clock v1.0.1 on FrewarePPC.com

So, I hope I answered your question or UN-confused.

Look for my "How To Speed Up Your i760 (NO REGEDITS)" post which I'll have up hopefully sometime soon.

Peace!

Google Maps = Memory Hog

I loaded Google Maps on the SD card. I was looking through the device memory and found an 840 kb Google Maps file in \Program Files\. Thinking that I had left it there from a previous install, I deleted it.

When I tried to run Google Maps, it wouldn't. I removed Google Maps and found that it freed up more than 2 MB of storage in device memory.

Between removing Google Maps and the memory leaky Samsung clock, I now have almost 13.7 MB of device memory free. Before, it was frequently below 7 MB.

I reccomend "Pocket Digital Clock v1.0.1", its free and small. It won't slow your i760 down at all and it looks pretty cool.
    LINK: Pocket Digital Clock v1.0.1 on FrewarePPC.com

So, I hope I answered your question or UN-confused.

Look for my "How To Speed Up Your i760 (NO REGEDITS)" post which I'll have up hopefully sometime soon.

Peace!
    I noticed that the developer has released a new version... I've been waffling between this plugin and Today's Time for my Today screen Time plugin.. off to switch again and try this new one out!
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 04-12-2008 at 01:59 AM.

WAIT!!! Well... my test run of the new PDClock didn't go so well. From what I can tell, If you make too many settings changes at once or select something that it doesn't have a trap for it throws the whole control panel into a snit. I've emailed the developer and will await the next version..
    Mark

[INDENT]1. I can neither run the ROMS nor the app itself from an SDHC memory card. I tried all three combos (app on card and roms on card, app on phone and roms on card, app on phone roms on phone)
    My device runs both the ROM's anf the program from the SDHC...